• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Galway - Missed Port on Symphony

RLMSLL

The Symphony attempted to anchor at Galway this morning, but the Captain determined that the anchor position was not safe. The winds were greater than 20 knots with gusts greater than 30 knots. The forecast is for increasing wind speeds as the day progresses.

We will proceed to Cork and will be able to do so at a slower speed than originally planned. This should allow for a smoother ride than if we had spent the day in Galway.

Yesterday we spent a wonderful day in Londonderry which was another maiden call and a tender port. It was a bright sunny day. There was some delay in beginning the tendering yesterday due to some difficulty in anchoring. Tendering to shore was discontinued around 11:00 AM so some passengers and crew never made it ashore. When the tours returned to port, we discovered the ship had moved further away from the tender docking location due to strong currents and difficulty with anchoring. In the afternoon, the ride from the ship to the port was apparently extremely rough, but the ride from the port to the ship was smooth. The passengers had a great day in port, but the navigational crew had a very challenging day.

We are having a great time and will enjoy our unexpected sea day today! :)

Rhonda

Edited by RLMSLL

Rhonda, thank you so very much for your update. I am so glad you are having a great time and thankfully as you note you get to enjoy the unexpected sea day.

Thankfully the safety of guests, crew and ship is the number one priority of Crystal Cruises.

Continue to enjoy!

Keith

I would guess that about 40% of our cruises had a cancelled port for one reason or another. (Weather, political issues, mechanical issues, etc...)

It's just part of international travel. You roll with the punches.

:)

In 2005 we missed Barcelona because of a port strike.

In 2006 we missed Puerto Montt due to very rough seas.

In 2010 we missed the Arctic Cap because of low visibility.

And I'm surely forgetting a few other missed ports.

Edited by Flash G

This is the last full day of our 3 B2Bs, and we were scheduled to be in Guernsey. Due to strong winds in excess of 20 knots and high swells in excess of 2 meters, it was not possible to safely anchor in Guernsey. Instead we will anchor in St. Peter Port, which is a more sheltered tendering location. Although we visited St. Peter Port on the previous 7 day voyage, we appreciate the Captain’s effort to find a suitable alternative. St. Peter Port is a nice town, and visitors will certainly enjoy it. We have not yet decided if we will venture into town or spend the time packing. There are many ship activities of interest to us in the afternoon and evening.

We have enjoyed our 3 B2Bs and will disembark in Dover. Although these 3 voyages were port intensive, we have greatly enjoyed seeing all the interesting ports of call while using the Crystal Symphony as our base. It has been more relaxing than a typical land tour would have been.

Rhonda

Hi, Rhonda & Steve,

I so enjoyed our times together, especially our Holyhead tour with John. I hope you have a nice flight back to SoCal. I fly from Dublin tomorrow. I hope we will be able to sail together again. ;)

Love & Kisses,

Donna

Those seas must be rough! St Peters Port is Guernsey. I think you meant to say it was not possible to anchor in Jersey (St Hellier). ;)

Forgot to give you my contact before we left. Email me if you have time for drinks or dinner before your show on Monday - ktenron at hotmail dot com.

Those seas must be rough! St Peters Port is Guernsey. I think you meant to say it was not possible to anchor in Jersey (St Hellier). ;)

Forgot to give you my contact before we left. Email me if you have time for drinks or dinner before your show on Monday - ktenron at hotmail dot com.

Hi, Ken,

Yes, I clobbered the post. Thanks for correcting and clarifying.

You have mail!

Rhonda

Rhonda and Steve, I hope that you made it home as uneventfully as I did. I was prepared for the weather and really wasn't too disappointed. I'm so glad that I'd done an early excursion at Londonderry and the tender back to the ship was long, but not rough. I was disappointed in missing Galway as that seemed to be a very interesting part of Ireland. I now need to do an Irish land trip since I have a feeling about the various parts of the island.

I'll miss running into you around the ship!

Patty

Rhonda and Steve, I hope that you made it home as uneventfully as I did. I was prepared for the weather and really wasn't too disappointed. I'm so glad that I'd done an early excursion at Londonderry and the tender back to the ship was long, but not rough. I was disappointed in missing Galway as that seemed to be a very interesting part of Ireland. I now need to do an Irish land trip since I have a feeling about the various parts of the island.

I'll miss running into you around the ship!

Patty

Hi, Patty,

We are glad you had an uneventful trip home. We fly home from London tomorrow. It looks like we have missed the worst of a heat wave based on an email from a friend.

Steve and I are glad we took this port intensive itinerary since there was much we wanted to see. We would love to return to Ireland on a land tour and see more of the west side of the island: Galway, the Dingle Peninsula, and the Ring of Kerry. We also would like to see the Scottish highlands.

We look forward to seeing you again next year on the North Cape voyage. It should be a much more relaxing itinerary with some great scenery.

All the best to you!

Rhonda and Steve

Edited by RLMSLL