Cruise Care doesn't cover airfare?

I did a quick comparison of V2 vs V3, and highlighted the differences in red in the attached PDF.

I also noticed that not only independent air, but if I read it correctly, trip interruption is not covered. One of the reason I have bought trip insurance was to get me home in case one of our elderly parents were hospitalized, and we needed to be flown home. It doesn't appear that this is covered anymore either.

It also doesn't address a trip booked before June 2, 2014 but departing after December 31, 2014.

We were making a final payment next week, and was going to use CruiseCare, so I guess I need to check.

We have used both the Cruise line and independent travel insurance before, and have had to make a claim or each. Both were very helpful and quite painless. The Cruise line was nice, because it covered the air. Once our flight home was delayed due to weather, and they paid for out overnight hotel and meals.

RC Cruise Care V2 vs V3.pdf

I'm in the process of getting quotes. :eek:

Does anyone have an annual policy that covers all your trips/cruises?

We have an annual policy with Allianz. https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/

Trip Insurance Store now offers annual plans.

http://www.annualtravelinsurance.ws/

Agree it's very confusing and can be expensive but is something we feel we can't do without.

I did a quick comparison of V2 vs V3, and highlighted the differences in red in the attached PDF.

I also noticed that not only independent air, but if I read it correctly, trip interruption is not covered. One of the reason I have bought trip insurance was to get me home in case one of our elderly parents were hospitalized, and we needed to be flown home. It doesn't appear that this is covered anymore either.

It also doesn't address a trip booked before June 2, 2014 but departing after December 31, 2014.

We were making a final payment next week, and was going to use CruiseCare, so I guess I need to check.

We have used both the Cruise line and independent travel insurance before, and have had to make a claim or each. Both were very helpful and quite painless. The Cruise line was nice, because it covered the air. Once our flight home was delayed due to weather, and they paid for out overnight hotel and meals.

What you posted has been one of our concerns too. And we did have to interrupt a trip on two occasions due to illness of an elderly parent. I was curious how Cruise Care would be in a case like that.

Unfortunately I think many insurance companies are changing what they cover. We, as consumers, have to vigilant in making sure we have the coverage we need.......and that's not easy.

I just used them to insure a cruise next February.

I wanted to insure the trip for $4,400. I got a premium quote for that amount.

Since I haven't completed booking excursions yet, I wanted to see what the premium would be for $4,500. It was the same. In fact the premium did not increase until my insurance coverage went over $5,000.

Needless to say I purchased $5,000 worth of insurance to cover any additional expenses I might add to the $4,400.

I canceled our Alaska cruise last year one week before embarkation. The penalty was the entire cruise fare (top line of charges on Booking confirmation). But, RCL returned taxes/fees, excursion costs and pre-paid gratuties. I did not have any air fare and claimed the total cruise fare that RCL did not refund. I got it all back. The net was that the only cost to me was the CruiseCare premium.

I called yesterday concerning the cruise that I booked Feb,2 2014 for a cruise sailing Feb. 6, 2015. I was told since I only paid the deposit and did not pay any additional money for the cruise care (that is on my invoice) that my independently booked air would not be covered. I was put on hold while the agent checked with another dept. so I am going to assume I do not have airfare covered.

This made me take a look at third party insurers, I have found the prices about the same, for much more coverage, in the medical and evacuation area.

I wish that RCL would figure out what is the REAL story and let us know... It seems that it all depends on who you talk to what the terms are.

The 'legalize' in the first few lines is confusing everyone I think. I am sure that it was clear to the person who wrote it, not so much for the rest of us....

From the 'v2' document...

"This document applies if you booked your cruise before June 2, 2014 and/or your cruise is departing on/before December 31, 2014."

Note the "and/or" term.

I read this as saying that if you booked before June 2nd, you are covered under the v2 terms and have air fare coverage. If you booked after June 2nd and your cruise is before Dec 31. 2014, you are covered (v2) for air fare.

From the 'v3' document...

"This document applies if you booked your cruise on/after June 2, 2014 and you are sailing on/after January 1, 2015."

If you booked after June 2nd for a cruise after Jan 1, 2015, you are under the 'v3' coverage and have no air fare insurance.

Derby Bears: that is incorrect. You only have to BOOK the cruise prior to June 2, 2014, not PAY for it in full. I called Berkley Insurance who administers Cruise Care this morning to clarify the statements on the RCI website. I was advised that you only have to have booked, just as the website states, not paid in full, to have the independent air covered. I booked a cruise in Sept. 2013 for Jan. 2015. I was assured that I do have independent air coverage. I suggest that any who have questions or believe you were given erroneous information from RCI customer service to call Berkley at 1-800-453-4022 and speak with an insurance professional.

Derby Bears: that is incorrect. You only have to BOOK the cruise prior to June 2, 2014, not PAY for it in full. I called Berkley Insurance who administers Cruise Care this morning to clarify the statements on the RCI website. I was advised that you only have to have booked, just as the website states, not paid in full, to have the independent air covered. I booked a cruise in Sept. 2013 for Jan. 2015. I was assured that I do have independent air coverage. I suggest that any who have questions or believe you were given erroneous information from RCI customer service to call Berkley at 1-800-453-4022 and speak with an insurance professional.

39august, I didn't mean pay for the cruise. I was told since I didn't actually pay for the cruise care it was not covered because I actually didn't have Cruise Care before the June 2nd date. I just had it on my invoice to be paid later. Thanks for the number, I may call and double check. But as I posted earlier I think the third party insurance may be a better option.

Will independent air be covered or not?

Will Choice Air be covered or not?

Cruise booked Dec 31, 2013 so it's before June 2, 2014

However Sailing May 30,2015, so neither T & C apply.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=10

Jim, independent air travel is covered if cruise and paid airfare was booked prior to June 2, 2014. If you book your airfare after 6/2/14, for a cruise departing after 1/1/15, your airfare is not covered. That is my understanding of the change.

But I agree, this needs to be clarified. Thanks to those who called this morning. Berkeley is about to lose my business, based on the v.2 an v.3 .pdf's that were posted. Having trip interruption is a major reason we take this insurance.

Edited by travelgoddess1

1. The first part I interpret differently is operative date. See http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do

If you booked (reserved and deposited) before June 2:

V2 applies = all air (independent and Choice) is covered.

See the V2 plan: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V2.pdf

If you booked (reserved and deposited) on or after June 2, then your date of sailing is key:

-- If your sail date is before or on Dec 31, 2014, then V2 applies = all air (independent and Choice) is covered.

-- If your sail date is after Dec 31, 2014, then V3 applies = no independent air is covered.

2. The second part I interpret differently regards air coverage under V3. See the V3 plan: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCCruiseCare_V3.pdf

OK so... We made a deposit on 7/12/14 for a cruise on 11/30/14. I added CruiseCare on 07/24. So maybe we are covered after all. I personally don't have this insurance but got it for my 80 yr old mother, and it needed to be purchased within some window of time (forget what it was now) for her to qualify for pre-existing conditions. We made it just under the wire.

While it would be nice if the airfare (and trip interruption) were covered too, if not then we'll just take what we got. I can take the hit on her airfare if that's what it comes down to. I have enough to stress out over trying to coordinate everything else. I'll just put good thoughts out into the cosmos that nothing will go wrong that requires the insurance, just like we didn't need it last time.

Unicorns...puppies...rainbows... :rolleyes:

Edited by StarSong2001

Jim, independent air travel is covered if cruise and paid airfare was booked prior to June 2, 2014. If you book your airfare after 6/2/14, for a cruise departing after 1/1/15, your airfare is not covered. That is my understanding of the change.

Oh boy, now I am more confused. :confused:

Karen, If I am reading this correctly, then airfare purchased after June 2 will not be covered?

I just checked my documents...cruise booked on May 1 and independent air was booked on July 5.

So can anyone confirm if my independent air is covered? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh boy, now I am more confused. :confused:

Karen, If I am reading this correctly, then airfare purchased after June 2 will not be covered?

I just checked my documents...cruise booked on May 1 and independent air was booked on July 5.

So can anyone confirm if my independent air is covered? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If I understand it, and that is a big "if" -- if your cruise departs after 1/1/15, then no. Didn't you call Berkely today?

I read my post, sorry it confused you. I think I meant for cruises booked after 6/2/14, not airfare.

If I understand it, and that is a big "if" -- if your cruise departs after 1/1/15, then no. Didn't you call Berkely today?

I read my post, sorry it confused you. I think I meant for cruises booked after 6/2/14, not airfare.

LOL...NP...I confuse easily these days!!!!

Yes I called Berkely, she said we were covered because we booked the cruise May 1. Air was not specified.....so thats where I became confused. :D

OK so... We made a deposit on 7/12/14 for a cruise on 11/30/14. I added CruiseCare on 07/24. So maybe we are covered after all.

Unicorns...puppies...rainbows... :rolleyes:

Clarification: when I say I added CruiseCare, I mean I paid in full for it, it shows on the invoice that this part is already paid, just like the deposit. That was part of the deal to have the pre-existing covered.

But I agree, this needs to be clarified. Thanks to those who called this morning. Berkeley is about to lose my business, based on the v.2 an v.3 .pdf's that were posted. Having trip interruption is a major reason we take this insurance.

Same here I guess it will be 3rd party Ins. for me if air is involved.

Same here I guess it will be 3rd party Ins. for me if air is involved.

Jim, my research starts today! There are too many conflicting answers coming back from RCL and Berkeley, it's hard to sort through it. The .pdf that was posted seems to clarify what is being eliminated, and that will be my starting point on what type and how much coverage we will look for. :eek:

(I so dislike having to put my brain to work, especially on a holiday weekend. :p)

Edited by travelgoddess1

Jim, my research starts today! There are too many conflicting answers coming back from RCL and Berkeley, it's hard to sort through it. The .pdf that was posted seems to clarify what is being eliminated, and that will be my starting point on what type and how much coverage we will look for. :eek:

(I so dislike having to put my brain to work, especially on a holiday weekend. :p)

Not me I'm waiting until I get back from Bermuda on VI.

Please post your results. I was going to call Berkley but haven't yet. I haven't even booked my air yet, I am still waiting and hoping the prices come down a little more. :)

We are looking at doing this. Can you recommend a place for me to check this out. We have never insured a trip before. This time around we are going in winter so I wont to make sure if something happens we can get our money back. Thanks

Who all has this insurance? Banks? lol I have no clue...state farm...lol:p

Are you members of USAA? Are you or have you ever been in the military? If so, you are eligible to join USAA. They have great travel insurance at a good price.

Not me I'm waiting until I get back from Bermuda on VI.

I don't need a lot of encouragement to procrastinate. I'm at least going to get started. :eek:

Please post your results. I was going to call Berkley but haven't yet. I haven't even booked my air yet, I am still waiting and hoping the prices come down a little more. :)

I'll let you know how it turns out -- I'm using the .pdf file -- cruise care v.2 and v.3, plus Sue's recommended insurance website, and hopefully can come up with a plan.

We are not eligible for USAA, so we'll go a different way. I have been putting off doing this for a long time, and RCL is probably doing me a favor by pushing me into buying annual travel and medical policies. But Ill never tell them that. :rolleyes: