• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Mult-Questions about Bermuda and Breakaway

klangel

First time on the Breakaway and to Bermuda.

Here is the list of my questions:

Has anyone had the spa pass? Read that it is crowded and

Dirty. Towels are left all over the place. Not worth the $199:

What was your experience?

On the first night was there a "Welcome abroad show"? Do you

Remember the time of the show?

Is there a cost to have lunch at Cagney's?

Does the Breakaway have an Indian food station?

Once in Bermuda I am going to purchase the bus/ferry

Ticket but I'm afraid of not knowing where the attractions

Are and how to get there

Horseshoe Bay I heard I can get there by bus but there

Is a long hill to it. Other then walking the hill . Is there another

Way. Like a service bus if so how much is it?

There is a street fair on a Wednesday night. Where is it held?

How do I get there? And what is there to see and do?

This is lots of questions but I'm new to this. I will appreciate

any replies

The bus passes you can purchase in the building you have to walk through to get off the pier. There will be people around who you can ask which bus to get on. If you tell the bus driver where you are going they are always very helpful and will tell you when it's time to get off. There are taxis at the beach that take you up and down the hill for I think 2$ pp I think it was. The street fair is in Hamilton on the Main Street.

Cagney's is not open for lunch except for suite pax on some ships.

Never been on BA, but have never found any of the ship spas to be "dirty".

There is always staff working there. It may be crowded at times but not so you couldn't enjoy the facilities. Always found it worth the cost.

The bus passes you can purchase in the building you have to walk through to get off the pier. There will be people around who you can ask which bus to get on. If you tell the bus driver where you are going they are always very helpful and will tell you when it's time to get off. There are taxis at the beach that take you up and down the hill for I think 2$ pp I think it was. The street fair is in Hamilton on the Main Street.

Google search engine as CC search engine can be your best friend, there are dozens of websites on Bermuda.

Also check the Bermuda board.Here is a link to Bermuda

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Yes, first night, 7:30 and 9:30pm

yes, there were several Indian dishes in the buffet but I didn't try any of them so I cannot speak to whether they were good.

Are and how to get there

To save time, you can buy your 1 or 2-day bus/ferry passes onboard at the Shore Excursion desk.

With the implementation of the new shuttle service and conflicting reports about being able to take bus #7 to HSB, we opted to take a cab. $42 with tip for 3 of us.

I know it's in Hamilton and you take the bus but we didn't attend. Apparently it's set up with vendors and a parade of sorts. It didn't sound all that appealing to us.

any replies

I hope this helps somewhat.

Horseshoe bay- not sure about conflicting reports. This was easy as pie to do and no need for a $45 taxi ride. You can buy bus tickets/ passes at a little desk inside the terminal before you even exit the building from the ship. There is a woman at a desk that says Info. She sells them right there.

When you exit the ship there will be a horseshoe shaped driveway with taxis, go to the left of the horsehoe if you want the ferry, stay to the right to go to the bus. Walk around to the right down a straight street and about 50 ft down, you will see a place where there are benches and buses pull in. Get on either a #7 bus or a bus marked Special and they will stop at Horseshoe Bay/ Beach. The walk down is fine, a bit of a grade but gradual. Probably a slow 7 minute walk. There is a shuttle for $2 pp to go back up the hill. Wait at the stop and any bus that stops there will be going back to the port (unless they tell you otherwise when you board). When at Horsehoe beach, walk all the way to the left if facing the water. There is a great path there in the sand that leads to a bunch of beautiful and less crowded coves.

I found the spa to be very, very crowded and dirty looking. Messy with towels and cups all over the place. Didn't look clean and it was wall to wall people. As for a tour before you buy a pass. To me it looked anything but relaxing.

Edited by conandrob240

Horseshoe bay- not sure about conflicting reports. This was easy as pie to do and no need for a $45 taxi ride. You can buy bus tickets/ passes at a little desk inside the terminal before you even exit the building from the ship. There is a woman at a desk that says Info. She sells them right there.

The conflicting reports started the week before our trip to Bermuda on 8/17. The latest passengers were reporting that the "special" bus was no more and that the #7 bus was for locals only. Bermuda transportation was introducing a new shuttle for the southern beaches which was separate from the bus/ferry system and therefore required a different ticket purchase which I think were $16 roundtrip. There were also reports of passengers waiting nearly 2 hrs for these shuttles so we opted for a cab. If you went earlier in the summer, you probably didn't experience this scenario.

When you exit the ship there will be a horseshoe shaped driveway with taxis, go to the left of the horsehoe if you want the ferry, stay to the right to go to the bus. Walk around to the right down a straight street and about 50 ft down, you will see a place where there are benches and buses pull in. Get on either a #7 bus or a bus marked Special and they will stop at Horseshoe Bay/ Beach. The walk down is fine, a bit of a grade but gradual. Probably a slow 7 minute walk. There is a shuttle for $2 pp to go back up the hill. Wait at the stop and any bus that stops there will be going back to the port (unless they tell you otherwise when you board). When at Horsehoe beach, walk all the way to the left if facing the water. There is a great path there in the sand that leads to a bunch of beautiful and less crowded coves.

I found the spa to be very, very crowded and dirty looking. Messy with towels and cups all over the place. Didn't look clean and it was wall to wall people. As for a tour before you buy a pass. To me it looked anything but relaxing.

It would be nice if we could still get the "Special" bus or even the regular #7 bus but the "Special" no longer exists and there is no longer any guarantee you will be allowed on the regular #7 to go to HBB. The new beach shuttle is $8 one way or $16 round trip to HBB only and back. The only good thing is it delivers and picks up at the bottom of the hill.

As an alternative to the $16 round trip bus, you can take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the #7 bus back towards the Dockyard. It will take you right past all the south shore beaches. I know it sounds time consuming but it's really not that much longer. The Sunday we arrived, we caught the 11:30 ferry, walked up to the bus stop in Hamilton and were on the beach at Horseshoe Bay by 12:25. For the trip back to the Dockyard, we rode the #7 and it took about 40 minutes. So, a little longer taking ferry to bus to beach, but we didn't encounter any issues and you can use the transportation passes. For a family larger than 4, this is the more economical than a taxi (especially on a Sunday) or the $16 mini-bus.

Edited by lolavix

As an alternative to the $16 round trip bus, you can take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the #7 bus back towards the Dockyard. It will take you right past all the south shore beaches. I know it sounds time consuming but it's really not that much longer. The Sunday we arrived, we caught the 11:30 ferry, walked up to the bus stop in Hamilton and were on the beach at Horseshoe Bay by 12:25. For the trip back to the Dockyard, we rode the #7 and it took about 40 minutes. So, a little longer taking ferry to bus to beach, but we didn't encounter any issues and you can use the transportation passes. For a family larger than 4, this is the more economical than a taxi (especially on a Sunday) or the $16 mini-bus.

I am still debating doing that but I just don't know if I'm willing to do all that running around to save a few dollars. The direct shuttle takes between 20 and 25 minutes depending on traffic vs. an hour taking the ferry to Hamilton, walking up the hill to the bus stop, riding the bus to the beach and then walking down the hill to the beach. :eek:

I am still debating doing that but I just don't know if I'm willing to do all that running around to save a few dollars.

I think it depends on the number of people in your party. I have five, and I was looking at a Sunday, so the taxi fares would be higher than many are quoting. We knew we wanted the passes anyway, so for us, it made sense to try it the way we did, but it likely wouldn't make sense for everyone. Maybe the shuttles are faster because they don't have to make stops, but the trip back from HSB to the Dockyard on the #7 bus was more than 20-25 minutes...we did it twice and both days (Sunday and then again on Tuesday) it was closer to 35-40 minutes.

I think it depends on the number of people in your party. I have five, and I was looking at a Sunday, so the taxi fares would be higher than many are quoting. We knew we wanted the passes anyway, so for us, it made sense to try it the way we did, but it likely wouldn't make sense for everyone. Maybe the shuttles are faster because they don't have to make stops, but the trip back from HSB to the Dockyard on the #7 bus was more than 20-25 minutes...we did it twice and both days (Sunday and then again on Tuesday) it was closer to 35-40 minutes.

We will have 10 in our party but they are all adults paying their own way. The special bus was really nice and only took about 20 minutes because it too didn't make other stops. I especially liked that it was included in the bus/ferry pass. I still haven't decided for sure which way we'll go - it all depends on what reports we get back the next few weeks until it's finally our turn. If they didn't make it so difficult now, we'd probably stop at the Swizzle Inn before returning to the DY but it probably won't be worth the hassle. We'll have already gone to the original SI the day before for Oktoberfest anyway.

We sailed on the Breakaway to Bermuda Aug. 10 - 17, 2014.

We took the shuttle bus to Horseshoe - buy your ticket at a stand just off the pier between the Breakaway and whatever other cruise ship is docked. Tickets are sold until 2pm and the last shuttle leaves the dockyard at 3. We were told at the ticket stand that we might have to wait for awhile for the shuttle to become half full before it would make a run to Horseshoe. We walked over to the shuttle - we waited less than 5 minutes to depart even though it was just me and the hubby - the driver said she didn't want us to have to wait any longer. It was a fun ride to Horseshoe on the small curvy road, past colorful homes, churches, small harbors full of boats etc.

Didn't have to wait at all for a shuttle back - there was 1 boarding and we left right away. Drivers were friendly. Would use this service again if we were going to Horseshoe.

The Wednesday night street fest in Hamilton is on Front Street, right by the water. The Gombey dancers will parade down the street and various tables are set up selling food and products. I suggest taking the ferry back to dockyard afterwards because Hamilton looks pretty all lit up at night, with the lights reflecting on the water etc.

I would also suggest visiting St. Georges and doing an island tour if it's your first trip there. Definitely get out of dockyard and see the real Bermuda. Do a sunset sail and also the wildcat jetboat around the islands.

Enjoy!

We sailed on the Breakaway to Bermuda Aug. 10 - 17, 2014.

We took the shuttle bus to Horseshoe - buy your ticket at a stand just off the pier between the Breakaway and whatever other cruise ship is docked. Tickets are sold until 2pm and the last shuttle leaves the dockyard at 3. We were told at the ticket stand that we might have to wait for awhile for the shuttle to become half full before it would make a run to Horseshoe. We walked over to the shuttle - we waited less than 5 minutes to depart even though it was just me and the hubby - the driver said she didn't want us to have to wait any longer. It was a fun ride to Horseshoe on the small curvy road, past colorful homes, churches, small harbors full of boats etc.

Didn't have to wait at all for a shuttle back - there was 1 boarding and we left right away. Drivers were friendly. Would use this service again if we were going to Horseshoe.

The Wednesday night street fest in Hamilton is on Front Street, right by the water. The Gombey dancers will parade down the street and various tables are set up selling food and products. I suggest taking the ferry back to dockyard afterwards because Hamilton looks pretty all lit up at night, with the lights reflecting on the water etc.

I would also suggest visiting St. Georges and doing an island tour if it's your first trip there. Definitely get out of dockyard and see the real Bermuda. Do a sunset sail and also the wildcat jetboat around the islands.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the update. Which day and at what time did you take the shuttle to Horseshoe Bay Beach and back? How many people fit in each shuttle? Did you notice if Friday's shuttles were more crowded than Wednesday's or Thursday's since people may not want to wander farther away than HBB on the last day?

We took the shuttle on Thursday sometime in the afternoon. It was like a large mini van, maybe seating 15 passengers? We departed HB at maybe 5:30.

We didn't spend much time in dockyard to notice how the shuttle situation was any other day or time, but we found it convenient and fast.

On Friday we took the wildcat jet boat that completely circled Bermuda and stopped at St. Georges for around 1 & 1/2 hours - very nice! We were back early enough that we had time to go thru the maritime museum before we had to reboard the BA. That was better than staying in dockyard on Friday.

We were amazed at how the dockyard area has built up in the 10 years since we were last there. Lots more shops, water sports and restaurants etc. When we were there 10 years ago, our cruise ship (Majesty) docked in St Georges. I remember taking the ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard and we were practically the only people on it. It also wasn't a straight shot - it stopped at little docks along the way. There wasn't much in the Dockyard area at the time but we wanted to see it anyway. We also had some type of coupon from the cruise line for eating ashore - Bermuda was considered very expensive for meals so we either purchased the coupon or ncl gave it to us to allow people to eat in a selection of restaurants on land and not have to pay a ridiculous price. How times have changed!

The breakaway spa was much noisier than the gem. Maybe because it holds more people, there was more talking. Or it could have been the cruise we were on was a Premier Jewelry reward cruise so it was full of saleswomen having a big reunion. A big loud reunion throughout the ship. We started our mornings in a quiet, clean spa and left when it started getting loud. It was a great way to start the day and worth it. If I were a late riser, I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The shuttle was $16 roundtrip per person / they can point you to the boarding area - next to the line of taxis - just off the pier. When purchasing the tix we were told the shuttle would leave when it was half full at dockyard, but it left with just the 2 of us within 5 minutes. When departing Horseshoe, several shuttles were leaving so we boarded and departed immediately.

Dear klangel,

The Bermuda Islands to me are the best Island Group in the world. People obey the laws as they enforce them.

On welcome aboard show it is a Sales show as most similar are. You can n see what staff you will be with aboard to serve and entertain you.

Spa costs well that's your choice but once you have paid your not able to get your funds back.

Gym time on the Bermuda Islands cost less. Thats one thing which does.

Obtaining a Mass ( Ferry/BUS) Transit Pass aborad the SHIP, and do it quick , is well worth the money as that is the only way to travel cost well and be effective. Seeing by bus your able to go to any stop and explore more. Plan before you go contact the Bermuda Tourism etc.. The Chamber is in Hamilton next to a Bank. Next to the Ferry Terminal.

On Indian Cuisine bring your own curry.

Once you have arrived you will come back. WARNING* It may be enjoyable!!

Has anyone had the spa pass? Read that it is crowded and

Dirty. Towels are left all over the place. Not worth the $199:

What was your experience?

Are and how to get there

any replies