• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Does Carnival really "check" luggage?

Luvvs2cruise

Frequently there are also Customs canines at the ports as well. Chances are pretty good that if there is something in your luggage that isn't supposed to be there it will be discovered. IMO the cruise line baggage checks at the pier are at least equal to and likely better than that of the airlines.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They don't actually "paw" through your things. Lock your bags, so if they think they detect something, you will have to open your bags and be present.

An even better solution - don't put anything in your luggage that needs to be checked. ;)

Edited by boogs

They don't actually "paw" through your things. Lock your bags, so if they think they detect something, you will have to open your bags and be present.

It isn't really necessary to lock your luggage for that reason. If there is a suspicion of contraband, your luggage won't be delivered. You'll get summoned to the "naughty room" to fess up. :rolleyes:

I still prefer to lock my luggage.

We were in the Neptune Lounge on a HAL cruise a couple of years ago when a man came storming in. When they opened one of their pieces of luggage, his wife was missing 2 pairs of shoes and a cocktail dress. He had to fill out a form after a lot of questions. They had driven to the port and handed their luggage over to the porters so there was no chance that the items went missing anywhere else -- like on a plane.

We were in the Neptune Lounge on a HAL cruise a couple of years ago when a man came storming in. When they opened one of their pieces of luggage, his wife was missing 2 pairs of shoes and a cocktail dress. He had to fill out a form after a lot of questions. They had driven to the port and handed their luggage over to the porters so there was no chance that the items went missing anywhere else -- like on a plane.

Or

These items were never packed. Passenger probably got home and there they were.

I mean, come on. Out of all the things they see,,,,, they choose to steal a couple pair of women's shoes and a cocktail dress? :confused:

Or

I mean, come on. Out of all the things they see,,,,, they choose to steal a couple pair of women's shoes and a cocktail dress? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. Seems pretty unlikely.

Edited by Texas_Diver

Or

Yes, OP ........... all the cruise lines x-ray luggage before it is delivered to the cabins.

I agree with those who think it possible the dress and shoes were never packed. The lady might have planned to bring them, thought she packed them and found them when she got home. :D

OK. Here is how it really works.

Cruise lines only inspect and x-ray bags that are carried up the gangway.

They rely on other people to check everything else.

In many countries today, local port security regulations require that all provisions, spare parts, and luggage are inspected / x-rayed before going onboard.

Most cruise lines also have their own requirements that usually match or exceed the local regulations.

Under Security Levels MARSEC 1 - 4, different levels of protocols are required, depending on the perceived security threats.

MARSEC 1 is the security level that most cruise ships operate under most of the time, with the lowest levels of inspections.

Cruise Ships do not have sufficient staff to handle the x-rays / inspections. In many cases, even if they did have the staff, local immigration policies would not allow them to work ashore to make those inspections.

In some countries, the x-rays / inspections are done by government employees.

TSA does some of this in some US Ports.

Local Port Security Staff are assigned to do it in some countries.

Private Security Staff are hired to do it in some other countries.

Generally, cruise line employees are only allowed to open your suitcases when you are present.

Once they checked my bag. Had nothing in it but my small flash light was turned on and clothes sort of just put back in suitcase.

Last cruise, 2nd on same ship, 7th of this year, they took my husbands steamer out but everything was very neatly in suit case when we got suit case later. Have had it every cruise but this was 1st time taken. Had notice to go to a bar to get it at end of the cruise, which we did. Interesting things on the bar including boxes of wine. Don't know why it hadn't been taken before though. We're going on same ship, a B2B on Friday and will take it again and see if its taken again. Then get it back and have it for 2nd cruise!

Edited by Bonnie J.

So, I'm wondering does Carnival actually check out our luggage before they bring it to our staterooms?

Why don't you try bringing on some contraband and report here later ... then we'll know for sure! :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I don't understand why everyone here thinks I'm trying to bring 'Contraband' onto a ship? I was just wondering. Not trying to give anyone, anything for them to ask to search me or my luggage! I don't even drink. :confused: I just wanted all of you people, who have traveled this way, to see if you knew. My Gosh!

I guess that's our world now. So sad.

I don't understand why everyone here thinks I'm trying to bring 'Contraband' onto a ship? I was just wondering. Not trying to give anyone, anything for them to ask to search me or my luggage! I don't even drink. I just wanted all of you people, who have traveled this way, to see if you knew. My Gosh!

First of all, welcome to Cruise Critic. In answer to your question, I believe the responses you received come from many of us who have been around these boards for a few years and have seen posts such as yours where people are trying to smuggle anything from illegal drugs to alcohol onboard, hoping to get away with it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I don't understand why everyone here thinks I'm trying to bring 'Contraband' onto a ship? I was just wondering. Not trying to give anyone, anything for them to ask to search me or my luggage! I don't even drink. :confused: I just wanted all of you people, who have traveled this way, to see if you knew. My Gosh!

I guess that's our world now. So sad.

Well unfortunately when a relatively new member on CC posts the type of question and follow up as with your first two posts on this thread, IMO it is somewhat natural that people may wonder if the reason behind it was possibly inspired by some conversation of what might be put in the luggage that could be of concern for being found.

Not sure that it is as much our world now as just human nature reacting to the type of question posed wondering why it would be asked in the first place. You have to admit it is a rather pointed question that could leave people wondering.

Sorry if it was misinterpreted and enjoy your cruise!

We sailed on the Carnival Dream in August. 2 suitcases to be delivered to our room. One made it, the other did not until later. Now I was a bad girl and brought "contraband" (alcohol) in both suitcases. One made it thru and the other was confiscated. We got a note in the suitcase saying sorry, come down on debarkation day to claim your contraband. So 50/50...we still enjoyed what made it thru in my suitcase and just said the heck with it from the other suitcase. I knew there was a chance all or some would get taken, so no big deal.

Edited by CrusinCyndi

We sailed on the Carnival Dream in August. 2 suitcases to be delivered to our room. One made it, the other did not until later. Now I was a bad girl and brought "contraband" (alcohol) in both suitcases. One made it thru and the other was confiscated. We got a note in the suitcase saying sorry, come down on debarkation day to claim your contraband. So 50/50...we still enjoyed what made it thru in my suitcase and just said the heck with it from the other suitcase. I knew there was a chance all or some would get taken, so no big deal.

While an interesting but not unusual story regarding your experience, the OP has indicated that they do not intent to try to bring "contraband" on board but were only curious as to whether or not luggage going on board Carnival would be x-rayed.

The only reason I mention this is that they were upset by the responses to their question which suggested that they may be planning to bring something on board that they shouldn't.

But it does seem that their question does leave that impression......