How necessary is it to book a shore excursion in advance? Do they sell out quick?

Kattycake

I would shop around and find an excursion through a private company. It will save you hundreds of dollars throughout our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

from my experience the prices are not that much better, save a few bucks yes but not hundreds . I guess it depends on what you want to do.

If i see something I book it normally i dont wait til i get aboard

from my experience the prices are not that much better, save a few bucks yes but not hundreds . I guess it depends on what you want to do.

I hear what you say regarding the prices, but in most cases, the experience of a private tour outweighs a ship excursion, as you get to do what you want to do rather than what the ship tells you to do.

Hubby and I are going on our first cruise for our 21st bdays.

We heard that shore excursions can sell out, but how fast?

It is Sep 15, roughly 2 weeks, for Nassau's Atlantis Aquaventure and also kayak/snorkeling package.

Should we book today or wait until Friday when we get our paychecks (will it still be avaliable then?)

One thing you don't say is when your cruise is. From my own personal experience, some excursions cancel if not enough people book it. I don't have any facts but that might vary on the excursion depending on what the contract says between RC and the tour operator. That excursion may need that one or two more people and might cancel without your reservation. It has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

If you are positive you would like that excursion and do not have choice #2, I would book online. There are spots available when you board, but often the lines are so long that you may not be able to book while you're there in person. As others have said, if you'd be happy with another choice, you can wait until you board. Have a great cruise whatever you choose!

Oh, it could easily be hundreds. Say the price difference is $20/person, and you're a typical family of four. And say you're reserving an excursion for 2-3 island stops. You can get into hundreds pretty quickly.

What matters more to me than the money, however, is the quality of the experience. When you go with the cruise line, you're often in a large group, and they force you to adhere to a set schedule -- that means they make you stop and shop in the stores that're providing them kickbacks, yet you don't have the freedom to stop and use the restroom or get a bite to eat when you want. In contrast, when you're with a small independent group, your tour guide gives you options: He'll give you information and ask if the group wants to stop to shop, or whether you'd like more beach time. He'll make recommendations on restaurants, or take you back to the port earlier. Every private tour I've taken has been superior to the few ship's excursions I've taken.

Hubby and I are going on our first cruise for our 21st bdays.

We heard that shore excursions can sell out, but how fast?

It is Sep 15, roughly 2 weeks, for Nassau's Atlantis Aquaventure and also kayak/snorkeling package.

Should we book today or wait until Friday when we get our paychecks (will it still be avaliable then?)

Some popular, limited capacity, shore excursions do sell out before the cruise begins.

Cruiselines routinely sell only a certain amount of space prior to the cruise and then sell the remaining space once on board. If there is a shore excursion you definitely want to go on and would be disappointed to miss - then book them now. The more popular the tours like Zip lining the faster they sell out. If they happen to sell out pre-cruise then go to shore tours desk first thing you board and purchase them. If you are unsure of what tours to book and/or need more info then wait and buy on board. Not all tours sell out. I've even purchased a shore tour the morning of the tour. Even if a tour is sold out on board you can probably wait list for a cancellation.

Cruiselines routinely sell only a certain amount of space prior to the cruise and then sell the remaining space once on board. If there is a shore excursion you definitely want to go on and would be disappointed to miss - then book them now. The more popular the tours like Zip lining the faster they sell out. If they happen to sell out pre-cruise then go to shore tours desk first thing you board and purchase them. If you are unsure of what tours to book and/or need more info then wait and buy on board. Not all tours sell out. I've even purchased a shore tour the morning of the tour. Even if a tour is sold out on board you can probably wait list for a cancellation.

True.

• 3 weeks later...

One more related question...in general, we don't book ship excursions. However, on our upcoming cruise we'd like to be able to use our OBC for an excursion. I already booked one excursion that we really wanted, through RCCL, that will be on Day 4. It is a full day excursion, and we are more comfortable with booking through the ship in case there are any timing issues.

Will it be feasible to arrive onboard, cancel our existing reservation and rebook onboard, thereby effectively exchanging our cash payment for OBC payment for the excursion? I don't really care that it may take a while for the credit to my credit card to come through. If that will work, I'm willing to stand in the line...I'm sure DH will go get me a drink to help pass the time!

One more related question...in general, we don't book ship excursions. However, on our upcoming cruise we'd like to be able to use our OBC for an excursion. I already booked one excursion that we really wanted, through RCCL, that will be on Day 4. It is a full day excursion, and we are more comfortable with booking through the ship in case there are any timing issues.

Will it be feasible to arrive onboard, cancel our existing reservation and rebook onboard, thereby effectively exchanging our cash payment for OBC payment for the excursion? I don't really care that it may take a while for the credit to my credit card to come through. If that will work, I'm willing to stand in the line...I'm sure DH will go get me a drink to help pass the time!

This won't work because when you cancel an excursion onboard, the refund does not go to your credit card. The refund just creates more OBC, so the net effect will be the same as if you did not cancel.

Edited by clarea