• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Please help in choosing RCI tour to ST JOhn

MLW070

We are a family with three kids ages 7, 11 and 12 and also brining the my husbands parents. We've already done a St Thomas tour so this time are wanting to do a St John tour and have a little snorkel time at one of the beaches and maybe sight see. I feel most comfortable booking on of the RCI tours while we are on Allure but still so confused on which one to go with. I'd love any suggestions. We've looked at

STL2 Coastal cruise of National Park Beaches with free time

ST82 Catamaran half day

STE8 boat and snorkel tour

ST08 Ultimate Island and National Park Beaches

Please help

I know it's a little difficult as these 4 excursion are somewhat similar with the exception of the catamaran which does not give you an island tour. It may be a little easier for you to print out and read each excursion. I find the Cruise Planner does not go into much detail for each excursion as oppose to viewing the shore excursion on Royal's main page where it indicates the following information.

Details & Pricing

Itinerary

Ship Info & Special Features

Shore Excursions

Customer Reviews

I read each tour excursion for you and with some tours, you have more time to spend on a beach.

STL2 6.5 hour tour--gives you 3-3-1/2 hours of exploring St. John which you can opt for an island tour or a beach to snorkel. I believe the taxi waited for us at the end to take us back to the ferry.

STO8 6.5 hour tour-- gives you up to 2.5 hours of beach time to snorkel and guests opting for Trunk Bay beach time must return to ferry on their own by designated departure time. Trunk Bay to ferry at Cruz Bay: approximately 30 minutes by taxi.

STE8 4 hour tour-- gives you 90 mins of beach time, I don't believe this one gives you an island tour.

ST82 4.5 hour tour---Cataraman does not give you a tour of the islands.

We've done STL2 and now just do the Self Explore St. John's. They are all good tours and St. John's is absolutely beautiful.

Would your husband's parents be interested in doing a Catamaran ride? If not, that would narrow your choices to 3. Hopefully others can add some of their opinions.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

We did STE8 a few weeks ago and loved it. I could have spent more than 90 minutes at the beach because the weather and water were perfect, but this was just the perfect amount of time for my husband. I would have liked to see the plantation ruins, but this still was nice. Trunk Bay is just gorgeous.

We did the ST03 on our last Celebrity cruise and are planning to do it again (free time on St John). It's the same boat over as the ST08 and STL2. They just stayed on longer for the coastal cruise and snorkeling. We opted to shop and then cab to a local beach with snorkeling and do our own thing. The beaches are beautiful, you will have a great time no matter what you choose.

I chose the STL2.

It was lovely to tour by the beaches from the water.

It still gave me plenty of time to go to Trunk beach by taxi and spend a reasonable amount of time at the beach. I brought my own snorkel gear.

I guess you need to ask yourself how much beach time you want. This will help determine which tour you might want to take.

Remember, you will still need to pay for your taxi to/fro the beach and entrance if you go to Trunk.

Oh, forgot to mention that the included rum punch on the trip back to the ship was fabulous.:D

I chose the STL2.

It was lovely to tour by the beaches from the water.

It still gave me plenty of time to go to Trunk beach by taxi and spend a reasonable amount of time at the beach. I brought my own snorkel gear.

I guess you need to ask yourself how much beach time you want. This will help determine which tour you might want to take.

Remember, you will still need to pay for your taxi to/fro the beach and entrance if you go to Trunk.

Oh, forgot to mention that the included rum punch on the trip back to the ship was fabulous.:D

Hello all,

sorry to hijack but I'm wondering the same thing. When I booked the excursion months ago it seemed like they were different. I booked the STL2 because at the time it was called something along the lines of St. John/coastal cruise of St. John. I was told there was an option to get off at Cruz Bay or continue on to another 45 min coastal cruise of St. John. Did you have this option? I'm looking to maximize beach time and not be stuck on the ferry.

Thanks,

Debbie

Hello all,

sorry to hijack but I'm wondering the same thing. When I booked the excursion months ago it seemed like they were different. I booked the STL2 because at the time it was called something along the lines of St. John/coastal cruise of St. John. I was told there was an option to get off at Cruz Bay or continue on to another 45 min coastal cruise of St. John. Did you have this option? I'm looking to maximize beach time and not be stuck on the ferry.

Thanks,

Debbie

Once you arrive at Cruz Bay in St. John, everyone gets off the ferry. When we did -- STL2 Coastal Cruise of National Park Beaches, we did have the option to choose a beach or have an island tour of St. John.