Shorts are now fine for elegant

Crusin Hogs

So, I guess it is time to pack my Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader Hot Pants for Elegant Night.

So.

We now have "tailored" shorts on Elegant Night.

Recorded Music and Videos for Showroom Shows.

Hasbro for an Evening Show.

But we do have unlimited Alcohol for an additional price.

And Guy's Burgers.

How long before they institute 'Family Style Dining' where the Waiters just plop a large dish in the middle of the table and you serve yourself. Oops, that is called American Table isn't it.

What the hell has happened to Carnival. They are no longer just the Walmart of Seas, they are turning into the Dollar Tree of the Seas.

Show some class folks. The Waiters will be dressed better than you.

Sad to say I have to agree with you on everything but the tailored shorts issue. I've seen some real calamities of fashion under the heading "formal dress", with scrolling tattoos on the skin, sequins popping off, dresses riding up in the back- honestly what do shorts matter at this point?

Everything else I agree with and it's sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many "dress police" jump in on this one all the time. Just like the "don't smuggle booze" police. People need to chill and mind their own business.

I'm pretty sure these are the same people that drive just under the speed limit in the passing lane on the highway. Those are the "lane police".

Chronic complainers.

So many "dress police" jump in on this one all the time. Just like the "don't smuggle booze" police. People need to chill and mind their own business.

I'm pretty sure these are the same people that drive just under the speed limit in the passing lane on the highway. Those are the "lane police".

Chronic complainers.

They can complain all they want , Shorts are now allowed for elegant night !

To be honest, I wore gowns on elegant nights and cocktail dresses on casual nights before. Nothing will change because I dress for myself and I enjoy dressing up. That's how I've dressed for cruises since 2006. To each their own though.

For the record, I also prefer to dress up for other things too just because I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronic complainers.

Well, if it is Elegant Night...what is Elegant about shorts. Just call it cruise casual and stop having a so called Elegant Night.

They need to get rid of the dress code period. The time has come. The last 4 cruises you could see it changing, I can live with dress shorts. Now let me in the steakhouse with dress shorts, I had that in our tea and talk with the CD and Capt in May and July. Maybe it worked.

ATTENTION walmart shoppers ATTENTION walmart shoppers. Its just a matter of time before you will take every inch of class out of cruising. I better get out my who farted I smelt it shirt, and my party till you puke shirt to. the dinning room is calling.

On our last cruise, we chose Anytime Dining, and opted not to take dress up clothes. On the two formal nights, we skipped the MDR and went to the buffet for dinner. I was really surprised at how many others had opted to skip Elegant Night as well. I have to admit it, it was so relaxing not to have to dress up for dinner. It also was nice not to have to pack the extra clothing. I remember reading on here some time ago that someone suggested that since the ships have two dining rooms, why not designate one for Elegant Night, and the other for casual wear? The menu would the same in both dining rooms, and guests would have the option to dress up or not for dinner in the MDR. Seems like a good idea to me.

Me too.

Not the greatest idea to allow the dress to go even more casual. I wouldn't put it past people trying to see how far they can get and wear their bathrobes similar to what they do on Lido. Just picture someone eating their lobster tail in the white Carnival bathrobe. Real classy. I hope they police this. I have seen too many times when they don't.:(

Does what someone else wears change the taste of your lobster?

If Carnival isn't classy enough for some of you, don't spend your vacation money with Carnival. When I don't like a company's policies, I don't spend with them. It makes much more sense than complaining about people who do still spend their money that way.

Edited by irishnyc

Does what someone else wears change the taste of your lobster?

If Carnival isn't classy enough for some of you, don't spend your vacation money with Carnival. When I don't like a company's policies, I don't spend with them. It makes much more sense than complaining about people who do still spend their money that way.

I wish there was a "hands clapping" emoticon because I am applauding you!

I look at the dining rooms as a restaurant similar to Chili's, Applebees, Logan's, etc. I do not look at them as restaurants that the President would dine at. We are not attending prom again, or attending a wedding. We are just eating dinner! That said, I think everyone has the right to wear what they want to wear. But, someone who chooses to dress to the nines should not look down their noses at the others who are just trying to have a relaxing, laid back vacation.

I recently sailed NCL for the first time, so we could go to Bermuda for 2.75 days, and one thing that was sooo nice was not having to dress up. Been there, done that, and yes, it sure helps with the luggage issues. They have a "Norwegian's Night Out" and you can dress up, or not. Many people dressed more casually for dinner but I never saw anything repulsive or over the top. Those who wanted to, could dress to the nines, take photos, etc.

I am with the group that does not care what people wear. My last carnival cruise, we were more dressed up and passengers at the next table were in jeans. Does not affect my meal at all! :)

debbie

What people wear to eat does not bother me in the slightest. But I would rather see someone wear shorts on elegant night then see some of these women who walk around with dresses with all their lady parts hanging out. They are confusing trashy with classy.

I completely agree with you there! I feel uncomfortable when I see any woman that feels she needs to wear dresses like that or even certain types of swim wear for that matter.

I recently sailed NCL for the first time, so we could go to Bermuda for 2.75 days, and one thing that was sooo nice was not having to dress up. Been there, done that, and yes, it sure helps with the luggage issues. They have a "Norwegian's Night Out" and you can dress up, or not. Many people dressed more casually for dinner but I never saw anything repulsive or over the top. Those who wanted to, could dress to the nines, take photos, etc.

I am with the group that does not care what people wear. My last carnival cruise, we were more dressed up and passengers at the next table were in jeans. Does not affect my meal at all! :)

debbie

And on NCL (at least the Epic), one dining room is dressier and one is casual. So, depending on how you want to dress, you can choose accordingly.

Sent from my Samsung Victory using Forums mobile app

ATTENTION walmart shoppers ATTENTION walmart shoppers. Its just a matter of time before you will take every inch of class out of cruising. I better get out my who farted I smelt it shirt, and my party till you puke shirt to. the dinning room is calling.

Since when are waiters dancing on tables "classy" and they've been doing that for years. "Casual" does not equal "slob". Just as "Formal" does not equal "classy".....but dress as you describe and I will call you a "slob". As the MDR's on CCL and NCL have become more "casual", I have yet to see someone dressed as a "slob".

Edited by Warm Breezes

I think it is great that Carnival is listening to its paying customers and responding by offering greater options and a more relaxed dress code. To ME, when I think Carnival, I think warm weather relaxing getaways, so if someone wants to dress casually, totally fine with me. If someone else wants to dress up more fancy, totally fine with me. Good move by Carnival.

How about wearing underwear in dinning rooms? It is more comfortable than shorts. And it takes no space to pack. And sure it will not change the taste of your lobster.

That's a pretty dumb response. Use a little common sense.

I love these main MDR post, always get a laugh. But I think I have come up with the perfect solution, All nude cruises:eek:, no packing required, no effort on anyone's part and everyone will be dressed the same on formal and non formal nights, just grab your white towel ( for sanitary reasons) and head down to the MDR and enjoy. LOL:) (this is just a little comedy relief and not meant to be taken seriously) Who knows some may loose their appetites and avoid the post cruise weight gain. Its a Win Win solution. ;)

I just don't get the BIG DEAL. Yes it's elegant night. But it's my vacation and if I don't feel like dressing up I should not have to, to be able to enjoy dinner in the MDR. As long as I am clean, neat and not inappropriate (scantily clad or in a bathing suit or hanging out everywhere and vulgar) then I don't see why what I wear should make any difference to anyone else. I could care less what someone else wears to dinner. It does not cut down on my enjoyment whatsoever. Just my opinion...:D

From my review of a May cruise on the Sunshine.

Let's talk dining. Now the wife and I are middle-class, regular people, so please don't flame at the following: Elegant nights still exist, and while we don't go the top hat and tails route, I was one of maybe half the men in the MDR on late seating that bothered to don a suit. Heck, for me, the first night it was a sport coat and tie. Many men had at best a collared shirt, and most of those looked very uncomfortable in it since wearing it at their last funeral, wedding or arraignment. At least it gave us two nights free of Bass Pro Shop shirts and My-latest-t-shirt-I-bought at the Port Of The Day. Guys, you're dropping over a grand on a cruise, another $500 on booze, you should be able to grab a $45 sport coat at the Wal-Mart. A t-shirt boasting "Good story Babe, now go make me a sammich" doesn't quite cut it.