• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Help - are they telling me right info about changing a reservation?

peppertoo

Good day,

So, my in-laws and their adult daughter have a cruise they booked for October. First two people (in-laws) paid their full fare, third person rate was just port fees/taxes. This was booked after my father-in-law was done chemotherapy and radiation and doctors said he should be fine to cruise by October, so they booked. I believe the doctor just verballized, nothing in writing, that he would be good to travel by then. He did not purchase the cancellation/interruption insurance through the cruise line because he had his on his Mastercard.

Unfortunately, it appears it has metastasized and he will not be making it on this trip. When I called Holland, I was advised that we could not just have my mother-in-law and their daughter go on the trip. They said that at the cruise terminal, they would be denied boarding without all three guests and that the daughter, who was technically just paying port fees/taxes, would then have to pay the first passenger rate in full. This just did not make sense for a number of reasons: 1) they already have the full fair of two passengers and port fees/taxes for three.... there would be no refund for the first passenger. They said that this would constitute a refund for him (well just port fees/taxes) and that it would be like a new booking for the two passengers. But another reason this did not make sense is 2) if there were three guests sharing a room and something did happen (missed flight, illnessness, whatever) to one or two guests.... the guests that do show up are REALLY denied boarding and made to pay extra???

I don't know, this just sounds wrong on so many levels. The only options they said that were available would be a change name/guest for an additional charge of under $400 or cancel the booking entirely and lose 50%.

Any suggestions/advice/thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance. Sailing Oct 13, 2014.

P.S. I do not think the Mastercard insurance would pay out the 50% loss if cancelled. Although technically it will not be the original cancer that will kill him, this is how the policy reads:

This insurance will not pay for expenses incurred

during the Coverage Period related to:

• the continuing Treatment, Recurrence, or

medically recognized complication relating

directly or indirectly to a Medical Condition, for

which You consulted, investigated, were

diagnosed or for which Treatment was taken by

You during the 12 month period

immediately before Your Coverage Period

began;

• the Treatment of, or relating to, a Medical

Condition for which a person exhibited any

symptom during the 12 month period

immediately before Your Coverage Period began

for which a reasonable person would have made

inquiries regarding their Medical Condition,

regardless of whether or not such inquiries were

made.

Help :( This is a hard enough time, they cannot really afford to lose over $2000.

Previously, when people have asked about this type of situation, posters told them to just show up for their cruise (the 2 of them) and say the third will be arriving later.....Oops, they missed the boat.

Not sure if this has worked, but since the cruiseline is not refunding any money, it might.

The only options they said that were available would be a change name/guest for an additional charge of under $400 or cancel the booking entirely and lose 50%.

Any suggestions/advice/thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance. Sailing Oct 13, 2014.

Help :( This is a hard enough time, they cannot really afford to lose over $2000.

That is great that they will allow that for $400.00 Consider yourself lucky since you did not purchase travel insurance.

HAL has now received two notifications that your F-I-L will not be sailing because he is ill. They were told on the telephone and now it is posted here on CC. All the cruise lines read these forums, we are told.

I would not risk just showing up unless they are prepared to be charged some real money.

Very sorry to read of his recurring illness and the need to miss the cruise. Hope he responds well to treatment. All best wishes.

HAL has now received two notifications that your F-I-L will not be sailing because he is ill. They were told on the telephone and now it is posted here on CC. All the cruise lines read these forums, we are told.

I don't think a post on a message board can legally be construed as "notice." After all, the situation may be presented as fact, but may actually be hypothetical or entirely fictional.

The phone call, particularly since it's recorded, can be used to prove intention, but I doubt unless it was finalized, that could not be viewed as "notice" either.

But to the original poster's dilemma, I would go ahead and pay the $400 change fee to change the name on the reservation and be happy it was not more. You have spoken to the cruise line asking about cancellations, so they are aware (even if they have not been technically notified) that one of the party may not take the cruise.

The telephone call certainly could trigger a notation on the reservation and a posting here by the same caller, could well be called 'verification'. I'm not a lawyer and never played one on TV but I don't think it would be a great idea for Mom and daughter to show up and play like they have no idea why Dad isn't there.

As to whether the telephone call or posting here were hypothetical, I see no mention of that in the post. Rather it sounds like this poster is stating a real, live, on-going situation. But, like I say, I'm no lawyer. :)

Edited by sail7seas

HAL is offering a decent deal, considering that no travel insurance with a pre-existing illness clause was purchased. This is a case of use-it-or-lose-it.

As for the Master Card clauses, this IS a pre-existing condition. Metastasized means that the original cancer cells have migrated in the body. It's not a "new" illness, but a re-location of the old one. I don't see any way that they'd pick up the tab.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem, but if his wife & daughter feel comfortable traveling, then they should take HAL up on their offer.