Farewell Rhapsody photo review Sept 5.2014 - final sailing from Vancouver

Hoopster95

Hello CC family

Rhapsody is leaving North America for who knows how long, after having served Galveston & Seattle for so many years. I thought I'd head downtown to watch her sail away from North America for what could be a very long time.

I sailed on Rhapsody last year on it's final Alaska run prior to it's Trans-Pacific to Hawaii, and she docked at Canada Place perpendicular and at the end of the pier to Radiance, so I thought I would easily head to Canada Place to snap a few shots before she sailed away. Here's what I found.....

DSC07519_zpsfb001b31.jpg

Well hello Radiance.... now where the heck is Rhapsody???

DSC07520_zps6245fc5d.jpg

Ah, there.... way off in the distance hiding within all the cranes & crates at Ballantyne Pier. No way for me to get pics of her close up unfortunately as Ballantyne is within the Port of Vancouver docks and closed to the public.

DSC07521_zpsc1cb94a2.jpg

So I took a whole bunch of pics very close up of Radiance, basically level to decks 6-8 from atop Canada Place which I will also share on a different thread and then headed to Stanley Park. I stopped at Lighthouse Park and snapped these from afar

DSC07531_zps5a5e837a.jpg

Ah!!!!! Finally sailaway

DSC07534_zps7c6ffc31.jpg

And there you are in full view

DSC07537_zpsc9f13380.jpg

As a side note, the majestic mountain in the backgroud is Mt. Baker in Washington State (I'm facing southeast)

I continued to take long distance photos from Stanley Park as Rhapsody backed into the Burrard Inlet and began turning her bow forward to make her way out of the port towards the Lion's Gate Bridge.

DSC07540_zps1139e36e.jpg

DSC07541_zpsfc7f6a77.jpg

DSC07543_zps0169bd71.jpg

I had timed a freighter about 20 minutes before Rhapsody began moving, and from that approximate position it took the freighter perhaps about 10 minutes to get to my vantage point. My entire goal was to take photos from "Prospect Point" which has an amazing view of the Lion's Gate bridge and the inlet below, so I quickly left so that I wouldn't miss anything. It took me only about 5 minutes to get there. So as soon as I got there, again taking long distance shots and looking back towards the Rhapsody, here's some pics from Prospect Point through the cables of the Lion's Gate bridge

DSC07545_zpscae0c8a5.jpg

DSC07546_zps52fb4b39.jpg

(The ship in the bottom left is the tail end of the Zandam)

So waiting bated breath finally Rhapsody made her way under the Lion's Gate Bridge and out of the Port of Vancouver. I will now just post a whole bunch of photos (like time lapse photography style I guess) as she moves along. Hope you enjoy :D

DSC07554_zps5aac6730.jpg

DSC07556_zpsb72e63b1.jpg

DSC07558_zps4e3dba03.jpg

DSC07559_zps2cdc8328.jpg

DSC07561_zps2d56a047.jpg

WOW..Thanks so much for the gorgeous photos! Took me away for awhile from my cubicle :D My girlfriend is on that ship right now and this is her first cruise. I cannot wait to hear what she has to say about it. Im betting she will become a cruise addict like me :eek:

WOW..Thanks so much for the gorgeous photos! Took me away for awhile from my cubicle :D My girlfriend is on that ship right now and this is her first cruise. I cannot wait to hear what she has to say about it. Im betting she will become a cruise addict like me :eek:

Thank you Rhapsody... You were awesome in Alaska!

And away she goes, if she ever returns to North America who knows!?

Hoopster95, thanks so much for all the pictures of Rhapsody OTS departing. We have been sailing on her for the last couple of years to Alaska. Enjoyed last year with sadness when she dropped us in Vancouver instead of Seattle. I viewed your pictures, especially from the Lion Bridge on with a little mist in my eyes. We shall miss her. Captain Rick Sullivan was really great entertaining us last year and he can truly sing, what a voice. Thanks again for taking the time to document this event for all of us.

Enjoy your cruise on Serenade OTS.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. My wife & I got off Rhapsody at 10am that morning back from our Alaska cruise. What a great time we had. So sad to see her leaving NA. I can also make out our old house (a tiny white dot) just above Taylor Way in one of your pictures. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the nice pictures, surely an emotional moment to see her leaving Vancouver for the last time...

Next season she will be in Europe - we consider her for Aug. 2015... :)

Vancouver looks very great, especially the leaving of the port - can't wait sailing from there with Millennium in 2015!! :)

Great photos. Thanks.

She will be arriving in Sydney tomorrow morning (in 6hrs or so) to commence her farewell season down under. Will be on her again in late Nov, likely for the last time.

Can't wait, love Rhapsody and it will be sad to see her go.