Gluten Free on Lido Deck

lcPSU37

I was diagnosed with Celiac's disease a few months ago and would like to try my best to continue my Gluten Free diet on our cruise on Pride in a few weeks. On our last cruise on Dream in January, before my official diagnosis, I told the dining room staff about my dietary restrictions on embarckation day and they were extremely accommodating, including allowing me to choose my meals for the next day to ensure that they were made gluten free. I was very pleased with the care that was taken. However, I am wondering how easy it will be to eat this way on the Lido deck. I know to watch for items with hidden gluten including sauces, soy sauce, etc., as well as cross-contamination. But does anyone have any other tips? I'd love to just eat whatever I've wanted as on many previous cruises, but I want to do my best to avoid gluten as much as possible this time around. Thanks!

From Carnival's FAQs:

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free, Indian Vegetarian, and Kosher. No advance notice is required; we kindly ask that you please inform our dining team so you can discuss your meal options. Additionally, we also request you advise our dining team of any food allergies you have. Any special dietary and food requests can be accommodated in our main dining rooms only.

Gluten Free:

Our chefs will make every effort possible to fulfill your requests and will gladly prepare freshly made options that meet your dietary needs. However, you will need to make arrangements in advance with your headwaiter and hostess. Once onboard, we ask you speak with them so they can assist in planning your daily meals in the dining room. This will allow us the necessary time to prepare foods, as requested, in a timely manner.

Additionally, we have available gluten free bread for deli sandwiches, hamburger buns for burgers, and cake upon request. Plus, our ice-cream and yogurt are Gluten-free and we offer Gluten-free pizza at the Pizzeria, as well as, Gluten free pasta on the pasta bar (only available on the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, and Carnival Sunshine). However, please keep in mind that sandwiches, burgers, and pizza are prepared fresh upon request. Therefore, they may take a little longer than regular menu items. We ask for your patience while we prepare your requested dish. We’d also like to mention we carry Gluten-free beer, Estrella Daura for your enjoyment.

Food Allergies:

We ask that you please inform our dining team of any food allergies and special preparation you may require to accommodate your allergy. Please discuss this the first evening of your cruise. Any special dietary and food requests can be accommodated in our main dining rooms only.

Healthy Food Selections:

Breakfast, lunch and dinner menus in the main dining room feature Healthy Option selections designated by a heart symbol on the menu.

• Starters and entrees are:

» Low in fat

» Low in sodium

» Low in cholesterol

• Desserts are prepared without sugar or sugar substitutes.

Other Dietary Needs:

Most simple diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have dieticians on board; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. Diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's head waiter on the first night of the cruise. If dining in the Lido Restaurant, the guest should discuss requirements with senior dining staff.

If you need additional information, please contact us specialneeds@carnival.com.

I hope this helps.:) Have a great cruise!

DD's allergic to nuts and peanuts.

Many of the items are marked, you can get a gluten free pizza and there's even a gluten free bread. I've seen it on the line and at the rotisserie.

Rice Krispies and Cheerios are available. (These gluten free?)

Be careful of cross contamination. It's best to get there when the line opens.

We avoid the Mongolian Wok. The woks are swished between uses and the lids are only washed when the Mongolian is finished for the day.

Bring some gluten free things with you onboard. But only prepackaged things can be brought onshore.

We've made up allergy cards for travel. These have helped in Europe.

Search Gluten Free or Celiac.

Edited by SadieN

Thank you both for this information. I have tried the gluten free pizza and it wasn't bad as far as gluten free pizza goes (the crust is more cracker-like). I've also had the gluten free bread in the main dining room and knew that I could eat it at the deli. I've been thinking that if nothing else I'll eat a lot of sandwiches and pizza, which is fine by me. However, I do think that I'll need to stay away from the cereal options as Cheerios are not gluten free and only gluten free Rice Krispies gluten free (I assumed that all Rice Krispies would be as they are made of rice but I checked the packaging a few months ago and saw otherwise. Surprise, surprise!).

Cross-contamination has been on my mind so I plan to be careful. At least most of the breakfast options should be safe except breads, french toast, cereal, and oatmeal, so that should be easier. Thank you all for your help thus far!

Thank you both for this information. I have tried the gluten free pizza and it wasn't bad as far as gluten free pizza goes (the crust is more cracker-like). I've also had the gluten free bread in the main dining room and knew that I could eat it at the deli. I've been thinking that if nothing else I'll eat a lot of sandwiches and pizza, which is fine by me. However, I do think that I'll need to stay away from the cereal options as Cheerios are not gluten free and only gluten free Rice Krispies gluten free (I assumed that all Rice Krispies would be as they are made of rice but I checked the packaging a few months ago and saw otherwise. Surprise, surprise!).

Cross-contamination has been on my mind so I plan to be careful. At least most of the breakfast options should be safe except breads, french toast, cereal, and oatmeal, so that should be easier. Thank you all for your help thus far!

Hi Lauren,

I just realized that you're the Lauren on the same cruise as me.:)

There is also fresh fruit offered on Lido (usually in a bowl sitting on top of the buffet sneeze-guard shroud) at breakfast and lunch. I've seen bananas, apples, and oranges at various times. You might want to grab a couple pieces when you see them offered and take them back to your cabin for a gluten-free snack in a pinch.

Also, in case you didn't already know: be careful of the scrambled "eggs" at the omelet station and elsewhere. It's an Egg Beaters type product and might have some gluten in it. If you want scrambled eggs (or an omelet), tell them you are GF and ask for some real eggs to be cracked and scrambled for you.

Good luck and happy gluten-free cruising. I hope to meet you onboard.:)

My DW also has celiac disease. We have been on 5 Carnival cruises now, 3 since her diagnosis.

Here's something she learned the hard way:

If you want an omelet for breakfast from the buffet then go to the little cart where they have fresh fruits, muffins and cheeses, etc. Select your desired cheese from this cart and then give it to the omelet maker with the request that you are GF and to only use that cheese. The cheese that they use at the omelet station is prepackaged and has contaminants in it, trust her on this.

She did get "bit" on our most recent cruise in the MDR. Her special GF meal came that she had ordered the night before, everything seemed to be in place. We found out later that they keep all the special dietary meals together and somebody grabbed her GF and she probably got somebodies Kosher or nut free or whatever. Anyway, about a half an hour later she realized that her tummy was swelling and put 2 & 2 together. Our head waiter apologized for about 5 minutes the next night in the MDR and explained what had happened.

So, being as cautious as she is she still got "bit". She is very intolerant and she just avoids the buffet line , other than the omelet station, all together. She did find that Guy's will provide a GF bun if she requests it. It took too long so the next time she just had a Guy's burger sans bun. She took advantage of Guy's often.

We sailed the Dream last January with our Celiac daughter and were pleasantly surprised how great they were. The MDR is the best option but she was able to eat on Lido and buffet for breakfast & lunch. If she went to MDR for brunch she could have the GF pancakes, fruit cup, etc.

Lido had a great hostess who showed us around and explained her options like yogurt, fresh fruit (we stuck to bananas mostly), hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, GF spaghetti (Pasta Bar), fries at the grill, GF pizza, ice cream and frozen yogurt. I never noticed a bread basket of GF bread in the buffet but heard of it after the cruise. We took several granola bars and Lays with us for snacks in port.

Good luck!