Atlanta - Vancouver: Are there ever Non-Stop Flights

Heartfelttraveler

HI HF,

As far as I have been able to find out - No.

The cheapest and fastest way is to fly into/out of SEA and take the train.

You might wish to consider flying into Portland.

Then take the very scenic Amtrak Cascades – 516 Lvng Portland at 2:45pm – Arriving Vancouver at 10:50pm

$48 pp for advance tickets Upper Level for scenery. Lower level for dining.

Schedules are at http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Schedules.htm

You can take the train to SEA and fly home from there.

OR vice versa

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

Ira

Delta has had a seasonal ATL-YVR flight. We have taken it a couple of times.

This came up on another thread just yesterday and I mentioned that the last time we were scheduled to be on that flight we got waylaid by a hurricane and had to stop overnight in Salt Lake City. So if you are looking for a Delta flight it may not be a non-stop offered daily but there are connecting flights through their other hubs.

As far as flying into Seattle, Delta does have a growing number of ATL-SEA flights but I'd rather break up the long flight midway and avoid the tedious trip between Seattle and Vancouver.

I have never found a non stop. Try flying into Seattle and take the Princess shuttle to Vancouver. It is a whole lot less expensive and probably quicker than a one stop flight.

BAD idea. Too expensive, too time consuming

Take the train-GREAT ride, take one of the shuttles out of of SEA to YVR or rent a car. MUCH more efficient and I highly recommend the train even if it mean an overnight in SEA. Passport clearance is done on the train. NO mucking around with the stupid Princess bus which can be a LOOOONG, LOOOONG ride through customs.

If you are a DL flyer, there are numerous connection points -- I would suggest SEA, with the connection on a codeshare operated by AS. Other points for connect would be MSP, SLC, SFO and LAX. I guess one consideration would be how long you want for your first leg....if long, then SEA. If shorter, then MSP.

News to me, and not shown on CX's website. Maybe a codeshare?

CPA91 - flightaware shows it as a CP direct flight with no one else sharing the timeslot, part of a weekly Dallas/Atlanta/Vancouver/Hong Kong run. Since the plane is down for over 2 hours at each stop, I assumed it's like the JFK-YVR-HKG, i.e. each segment bookable separately. I could be wrong!

CPA91 - flightaware shows it as a CP direct flight with no one else sharing the timeslot, part of a weekly Dallas/Atlanta/Vancouver/Hong Kong run. Since the plane is down for over 2 hours at each stop, I assumed it's like the JFK-YVR-HKG, i.e. each segment bookable separately. I could be wrong!

Freighter? I doubt if CX will fly to ATL. CX doesn't operate any 747-8s in pax service but has 9 freighters. All the N. American flights are 777-300ERs (77W) there days.

Edited by cruising cockroach

If you are a DL flyer, there are numerous connection points -- I would suggest SEA, with the connection on a codeshare operated by AS.

DL is building its own operation out of SEA and is codesharing less and less with AS/QX for flights that do involve SEA. Will be on a DL flight YVR-SEA in a few weeks that is DL-operated (or rather, one of the franchise carriers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_r_a viewpost.gif

HI HF,

As far as I have been able to find out - No.

The cheapest and fastest way is to fly into/out of SEA and take the train.

You might wish to consider flying into Portland.

Then take the very scenic Amtrak Cascades – 516 Lvng Portland at 2:45pm – Arriving Vancouver at 10:50pm

$48 pp for advance tickets Upper Level for scenery. Lower level for dining.

Schedules are at http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Schedules.htm

You can take the train to SEA and fly home from there.

OR vice versa

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

Unless it's a maintenance period the Cascades trains use Euro-style carriages on a single level rather than the normal Amtrak 2 level cars Ira - your trip(s) may have been on regular rolling stock, it does happen for a few weeks each year.

Whether flying in to Seattle or Portland, the train is certainly the more scenic option but neither the cheapest nor the fastest - even if you sit at the border for an hour on a bus you'll still usually beat the train and there are MANY more bus departures, with Bolt regularly offering <$20 fares (SEA) and the elusive 'Bolt for a Buck' always a possibility on all routes.

The evening train from Portland is particularly prone to delays - we have an apartment there and visit very frequently, and we've experienced a c. 3 hour delay one trip in three (official stats currently run at 46.7% on-time).

Because freight is prioritized over passenger trains, as soon as the delay gets longer than c. 20mins you hit a series of further delays stopped at stations or in sidings waiting for freight trains to pass. There are also extensive track works underway at the moment - schedules have been padded by 30 mins but it's actually consistently taking an extra hour between SEA & VAC. In theory these particular works stop at the end of this month, but I believe there are still further scheduled improvements in the long-term for High Speed Rail.

In short, while I love the train ride, I would never use it if I wanted to get to Vancouver quickly - but if you are flying into the area a few days ahead and want to spend time in Portland or Seattle then travel up to Vancouver I'd heartily recommend it. Even with the recent delays, the morning train SEA-VAC has been very popular with cruisers - since it's meant to arrive before noon even a three hour delay can still enable you to reach the port by 3pm so it remains a safe bet.

To GL & CC - thanks for the info about the CX freight flights, should have considered that. To Kenish - :)

I have never found a non stop. Try flying into Seattle and take the Princess shuttle to Vancouver. It is a whole lot less expensive and probably quicker than a one stop flight.

That's a falicy that it's always cheaper to fly into SEA. On ATL-YVR (one way) I did a random search for next June:

ATL-YVR: $228 (AA via DFW)

ATL-SEA: $247 (DL non-stop)

DL do operate a non-stop ATL-YVR (or have for a number of summers); although it's not pricing out for next year right now

Now I do admit going the other way (Canada-USA) you're nailed by all the American taxes added onto flights entering the USA by air; which add about $40 to the cost.

I went ahead and booked my airfare for next spring. Going Atlanta - Vancouver on Alaska Air through Seattle. Coming home direct Anchorage - Atlanta on Delta. Booked through Princess and it was less expensive than booking direct. And it is Flex/Refundable in case prices come down.

Thanks for all your input - I love the Cruise Critic Forum!

I went ahead and booked my airfare for next spring. Going Atlanta - Vancouver on Alaska Air through Seattle. Coming home direct Anchorage - Atlanta on Delta. Booked through Princess and it was less expensive than booking direct. And it is Flex/Refundable in case prices come down.

Thanks for all your input - I love the Cruise Critic Forum!

I hope you have a thick skin. You are going to get an earful for booking cruise air :)

Are there ever non-stop flights from Atlanta to Vancouver?

For future reference, OAG has a tool to determine whether there are nonstop flights between 2 cities. It was once free, but now they charge for it. The next best alternative is to check the website for the departing airport on Wikipedia. Doing so for Atlanta would show that Delta has seasonal service to Vancouver.