Doing laundry on a river cruise

cherylakers

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest next year.

Has anyone found a laundry place you can drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon doing this river cruise?

Most days we are not ther an entire day but some we are.

We plan on packing for only 7 days as we are traveling for a few more weeks after this cruise on land and don't want a lot of luggage.

I am not as concerned about my cloths but DH will be wearing dockers and I can't imagine washing them out in the sink and hanging to dry.

Thanks

Cheryl

You do not mention the line you are cruising with but our experience on Avalon and AMA is that laundry service was reasonable, quick and very good. We often travel for 2 weeks at a time and will have jeans/pants done by the boat's laundry after a day or so onboard. I would not want to chance a local option, nor waste port time dropping off and picking up.

If you are on Uniworld most of their boats have free self-serve laundry rooms that are also equipped with ironing board and iron. Also you can send your clothes out. They usually are ready the same day.

The Viking Longships do not have self service laundry. This was one of the downfalls of Viking. They did have pay for service laundry but we did not use it. I washed out socks and small items in the sink and hung them to dry. I also took my small travel iron which helped. Some in our travel party did use the Viking laundry and were pleased with it.

Avalon offer a laundry service that was very reasonable price and very quick. Yes we do the small items in the bathroom but pants and jeans etc, use their service, very little cost compared to overall cost of holiday.

We are on holiday to have fun, not stress about laundry or a few Euros. We spend a lot more on Wine than laundry over 4 weeks away.

We will be on a Viking longship.

Ok, from what everyone is saying send out the pants and possibly some shirts. Do the balance on the sink.

I guess when you are spending thousands of dollars on the trip what's another $100 for getting laundry done. I agree.

That's whAt we will do.

Thanks everyone.

We are past cruisers with Uniworld and we had a laundry perk. We each had a free bag of laundry. On the SS Antoinette they had a laundry room with washer dryer also iron and ironing board. We have also sent out laundry on past cruises and it wasn't that expensive but nice to have clean clothes for our post cruise few days..

Almost every cruise line provides a laundry service and they do a great job. Uniworld does offer a free "bag" (small) of laundry for repeat customers, Grand Circle offered their repeat customers 10% "sale" on one of the cruises we took with them.

Viking posts their laundry fees on their website. Keep in mind that the charges are, most often, in Euros.

I have used the laundry service on both of our Viking cruises. 1st cruise way overpacked, but not enough of the right stuff. Found the laundry service to be outstanding and reasonably priced. Here is what I wrote about the laundry service on our Christmas Market cruise last December:

The laundry service was very easy to use. You put your clothes in a laundry bag left in your cabin, fill out the sheet describing the articles you need cleaned, and leave it in the room. Your steward picks it up and delivers it back to you the next day.

Now that I reread that, on our second cruise last May, the laundry was back in our cabin the same afternoon of the morning I left it.