• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Transfer from airport to Hotel

1982CruzStart

We deviated on our flight to Dubai for our November cruise. I thought this would mean no transfer to the Regent included hotel. Today we received a cruise summary by email saying we do have a transfer. Even though this is our 3rd Regent cruise this will be the first time we have an included transfer.

My question is regarding how long people think we might have to wait from the time we arrive until we leave the airport for the hotel. We arrive at 7:10 am. We have arranged a tour with another couple from our cruise starting at 11 am from our hotel. Do you think we will make it to our hotel with plenty of time before our tour starts at 11 am? I had arranged a private transfer when i thought Regent didn't provide one but I can cancel it and save the money.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks newlondon. I am hoping that someone that has experience in Dubai will also answer but I do appreciate your insight.

I don't think the wait has much to do with the city that you are arriving in but rather how many people are arriving at approximately the same time you are. Obviously, if there are more people on your plane that are getting transportation to the hotel, they will wait for them. If another plane is due soon, they could wait for that as well.

The worst scenario is one I was unfortunately involved with. Our plane arrived in India but one piece of luggage did not. We waited until the last piece of luggage came off of the carousel and then waited in line to file the claim. The unfortunate part was that a van was being held up the whole time (approximately an hour) while we went through the process. We had already discussed having to take a cab to the hotel and was truly surprised to see the Regent representative waiting for us.

I would suggest asking the Regent representative at the airport how long they expect to be waiting (you can see how many people are on the list). If it going to take a while, take a taxi to the hotel.

There can be quite a lot of traffic in Dubai. The distance from the airport to the Burj Hotel (don't know which hotel you are staying at but this is fairly central) is 12 miles. I went to this website http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=United+Arab+Emirates&city=Dubai to do an estimate of what it would cost you by taxi. Although it indicates that 12 miles would be 24.02 AED ($6.53), when I asked for the distance from the airport to the Burj it came out to 31.46 ($8.56). In any case, it isn't much money to pay to insure that you can make your excursion. You would have to get currency from an ATM machine. Wish I could remember how we paid a taxi that we used but I can't.

Edited by Travelcat2

I don't think the wait has much to do with the city that you are arriving in but rather how many people are arriving at approximately the same time you are. Obviously, if there are more people on your plane that are getting transportation to the hotel, they will wait for them. If another plane is due soon, they could wait for that as well.

The worst scenario is one I was unfortunately involved with. Our plane arrived in India but one piece of luggage did not. We waited until the last piece of luggage came off of the carousel and then waited in line to file the claim. The unfortunate part was that a van was being held up the whole time (approximately an hour) while we went through the process. We had already discussed having to take a cab to the hotel and was truly surprised to see the Regent representative waiting for us.

I would suggest asking the Regent representative at the airport how long they expect to be waiting (you can see how many people are on the list). If it going to take a while, take a taxi to the hotel.

There can be quite a lot of traffic in Dubai. The distance from the airport to the Burj Hotel (don't know which hotel you are staying at but this is fairly central) is 12 miles. I went to this website http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=United+Arab+Emirates&city=Dubai to do an estimate of what it would cost you by taxi. Although it indicates that 12 miles would be 24.02 AED ($6.53), when I asked for the distance from the airport to the Burj it came out to 31.46 ($8.56). In any case, it isn't much money to pay to insure that you can make your excursion. You would have to get currency from an ATM machine. Wish I could remember how we paid a taxi that we used but I can't.

Thanks Travelcat2. I was asking about someone with Dubai experience only to get the feel for options in that particular city. I appreciate the advice from both you and newlondon. We will do just as you suggest and find out how long the wait might be from the Regent rep and then opt for a taxi if it looks like we are cutting it too close.

Thanks Travelcat2. I was asking about someone with Dubai experience only to get the feel for options in that particular city. I appreciate the advice from both you and newlondon. We will do just as you suggest and find out how long the wait might be from the Regent rep and then opt for a taxi if it looks like we are cutting it too close.

We were in Dubai last year. We had deviated and made our own travel arrangements, although there were a number of other Regent passengers on our flight. (we arrived in the evening) We overheard conversations and the rep told them they would be leaving for the hotel "shortly". Since we had flied business class our luggage came out quite quickly, changed some money and caught a taxi to the hotel (JW Marriott) and was in our room less than 90 minutes after landing. I can't remember how much it cost, it was about a 30 minute ride. It was a holiday so there was a great deal of traffic and horns beeping, but it moved at a good pace. About three hours after we had checked in, the other passengers from our flight showed up - they had to wait at the airport for two other flights. The passengers were not in happy moods because they could not get a straight answer as to when they would be leaving for the hotel. Because there were so many people at one time, it took quite some time for everyone to be able to check into their room, when we arrived it was super quick. I would spend the money and arrange for your own transportation, esp if there are many Regent people on your flight and you have other obligations.

Hope this helps you out.

gnomie :)

We were in Dubai last year. We had deviated and made our own travel arrangements, although there were a number of other Regent passengers on our flight. (we arrived in the evening) We overheard conversations and the rep told them they would be leaving for the hotel "shortly". Since we had flied business class our luggage came out quite quickly, changed some money and caught a taxi to the hotel (JW Marriott) and was in our room less than 90 minutes after landing. I can't remember how much it cost, it was about a 30 minute ride. It was a holiday so there was a great deal of traffic and horns beeping, but it moved at a good pace. About three hours after we had checked in, the other passengers from our flight showed up - they had to wait at the airport for two other flights. The passengers were not in happy moods because they could not get a straight answer as to when they would be leaving for the hotel. Because there were so many people at one time, it took quite some time for everyone to be able to check into their room, when we arrived it was super quick. I would spend the money and arrange for your own transportation, esp if there are many Regent people on your flight and you have other obligations.

Hope this helps you out.

gnomie :)[/quote

Thanks gnomie that is great info.