• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Onboard Internet, my experience

just4steven

Hello! So I see lots of threads going around about many topics and people throwing in their opinions, which I think is great as it gives many viewpoints.

I have seen many posts where the main subject is not even about the Internet but comments are thrown in like "it's slower than 28.8 dial up" or "don't bother trying to send pictures because they will still be sending when you get home". LOL, had to laugh at that last one, but I did want to throw in my personal experience.

Yes, it is slow, well, slower than what you most likely have at home and slower than most 4g cell networks. However I never had a problem. I uploaded plenty of pictures (selfies of course, and gosh I looked good!) and emailed plenty pictures. I forget how many minutes I went through in total but I think it was around 50 something. Long story short it worked way better and faster than what I was expecting after reading these forums and I will definitely use it again. It definitely was NOT as slow as dial up.

Maybe I was just lucky? I don't know, but I used it at random times in the day and night and never had a "major" slow time. This was on the Legend back in January, so maybe they have super high tech upgrade :rolleyes: or something, but just sticking up for my good ole trusty onboard Internet since everyone has to give their honest 2 cents now a days. I do know on my next cruise I am going to try various speed test apps, if they even work of course, to see what kind of results I am actually getting. This is just my opinion, but if I had to give an example I would say it seemed like a early generation cable line for my laptop and a "decent" 3g network on my phone. Yeah it would be nice if it were improved, but I'll take it out in the middle of nowhere when I desperately need to post some selfie pics!

Thanks so much for this great information! Sailing in two weeks and wondering about all the opinions! I'm going to go ahead and get a package and try it this time. Do you mind telling us what you were using? Your phone, or an I pad, laptop or some other tablet device?

We have used the internet on our past few cruises. Always been OK. Never expected it to be lightning fast' date=' so no problems. Laptop is easiest. I always have trouble "logging off" of my iphone which can use up minutes. That was my only problem.[/quote']

This! I used my laptop as well and the other tip is remembering to log off! As 3 2 mentioned you have to remember to logoff or it will keep using your minutes. I can't really explain it but when you are on you will see what we mean. Other than that if you aren't expecting "blazing fast speeds" and realize you are out in the middle of the ocean, odds are you should at least be satisfied.

I did also use my phone briefly but could just do more faster on my laptop.

What is the cost for internet pkg? I have a tablet so maybe I can bring that and KIT with my hubby thru facebook or email so I can keep my phone off? He will be watching our baby for a few days so mommy can get away for a few days with my sister :)

I agree. Cruise internet is not as fast as we are all used to. And it is the same on other cruiselines. While I keep my phone off, I do like to check facebook and upload photos. I just get everything together on the ipad before i log on. I will say that Disney charges by the MB. Seemed a good bit cheaper. Still slow.

Thanks for the report, Just4steven. It's good to know the onboard internet is still adequate. DH buys a package (200 minutes, maybe? - I can't remember) every cruise in order to keep in touch with work. And as crazy at it might sound to some, this really helps him to be able to relax better on his vacation, knowing that he can get stuff done and put out small fires 'back home' while at sea. He used to stress out on Sea Days until he could make it to a port and check in.:o

This next part comes with a BIG, FAT DISCLAIMER: I am an idiot when it comes to computers and know not of what I speaketh. DH, on the other hand, is a professional computer geek. He owns an IT company. He deals with this stuff all day, every day. He definitely knows of what he speaketh. The following information was gathered from a telephone conversation between the two of us and any inaccuracies are completely my fault...

So, DH says results from speed tests run on the onboard internet will be misleading because it's a satellite system. Many factors including latency, packet size, file size, and even the weather can affect speed tests. So it probably won't do you much good to test it.

:o

Edited by ShakyBeef
spacing

I've posted many times about the slow connection speeds on ships, but on our last cruise in May, 2014, on Carnival Magic, I found they had improved the use of the Internet greatly.

We always bring our 10" notebook computer and use the connection to communicate with DW's deaf brother who lives by himself back home--they usually email twice each day to make sure he is OK.

Sign-up has been streamlined and the initial fee has been eliminated. Login and Logoff work much faster than we have experienced on previous cruises. The total time used in each session is much less--3 minutes to login, email, and logoff as opposed to 7 minutes on previous cruises.

Considering all the negative comments about other aspects of cruising--like cutbacks--this is one feature with which Carnival has made improvements.

=Bob=

This next part comes with a BIG, FAT DISCLAIMER: I am an idiot when it comes to computers and know not of what I speaketh. DH, on the other hand, is a professional computer geek. He owns an IT company. He deals with this stuff all day, every day. He definitely knows of what he speaketh. The following information was gathered from a telephone conversation between the two of us and any inaccuracies are completely my fault...

So, DH says results from speed tests run on the onboard internet will be misleading because it's a satellite system. Many factors including latency, packet size, file size, and even the weather can affect speed tests. So it probably won't do you much good to test it.

:o

LOL, thank you for confirming this! And it sounds like you heard it correctly :) It was why I also mentioned "if possible". All of the ones I know have to ping off of a server somewhere and, well, that somewhere is not going to be in the middle of the ocean so I'm not sure what would happen, lol. Then again I did hear google was working on something, but who knows and that might be a ways off. Again though thanks for the info! Gotta love techie people!

What is the cost for internet pkg? I have a tablet so maybe I can bring that and KIT with my hubby thru facebook or email so I can keep my phone off? He will be watching our baby for a few days so mommy can get away for a few days with my sister :)

carnival0001.jpg

internet0001.jpg

Edited by arubanut

The internet on the Breeze in January was worthless. My iPhone was stolen at my pre-cruise hotel so I bought the $29 / 45 minute package so that I could email the Days Inn, AT&T, and my daughter, and so I could check in for my flight. First I had to find a working computer in the ship's Internet cafe, but when I did, most times I couldn't even log in. The internet would just get hung up. I would have requested a refund except that the Guest Services people were so helpful about letting me use their computer.

I would just caution people not to count on the internet, and then you can be pleasantly surprised if it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've posted many times about the slow connection speeds on ships, but on our last cruise in May, 2014, on Carnival Magic, I found they had improved the use of the Internet greatly.

We always bring our 10" notebook computer and use the connection to communicate with DW's deaf brother who lives by himself back home--they usually email twice each day to make sure he is OK.

Sign-up has been streamlined and the initial fee has been eliminated. Login and Logoff work much faster than we have experienced on previous cruises. The total time used in each session is much less--3 minutes to login, email, and logoff as opposed to 7 minutes on previous cruises.

Considering all the negative comments about other aspects of cruising--like cutbacks--this is one feature with which Carnival has made improvements.

=Bob=

There is an area here where they made a significant cutback.

They used to have an internet cafe manager so you had someplace to get help. It has been eliminated so now you have to get on line at guest services.

Had a problem getting on internet last week on Conquest. couldnt get thru to guest services by phone so went on down and asked where internet was working.

Lady I spoke to than handed me instructions to get on. Said my question was whether there was a problem with ships internet system and the sheet she gave me didnt answer my question.

Her answer was I dont know. Than I asked her whether she could find out.

She asked guy next to her and he didnt know either. Finally said was there anyone back there she could actually ask and get the answer to my question. She finally did and got me my answer.

If I had a more difficult question dont know if I would have ever gotten answer.

Yeah I better make a disclaimer:

People with a little patience and realize they are lucky to be out in the middle of nowhere checking email will most likely have a drink in hand, a smile on their face and just enjoy the "island time" Internet and probably won't think much about it when writing a review of the ship/vacation.

People without patience and especially if they are a demanding type person will most like bash it somewhere.

We are all human so nothing wrong with either type of person, I just wanted to get at least one positive thread about the Internet going because it seems all you read are the negative ones and it might scare people off from using it. You know yourself, if you have some patience and would love to check email or do some other things online I would definitely at least try it out! I don't know, I am guessing hearing all the horror stories before my cruise put my expectations pretty low, but either way I say it's definitely worth a shot!