Danube River water levels

listaLolis

Just to update the board on the change from our ship the Viking Freya to the Viking Lofn. Apparently the Freya was scheduled for some maintenance. As the Lofn was finished with it's cruise schedule for 2015, it was repositioned to the Danube for our cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg and to finish out the last 2 2015 cruises that the Freya was scheduled for. By repositioning the Lofn to finish out the Freya schedule, Viking was able to begin the maintenance on Freya sooner to ensure that it is ready for the Spring cruise season in 2016. The crew and all supplies used, the lollipops, etc., were from the Freya, as the crew from the Lofn was dismissed and the supplies were stored until next year. Just another indication of Viking's planning and vision for providing a very good experience for their passengers.

We are leaving on December 27 from Passau to Budapest on Viking Mimir. I am so curious about whether we can expect any hiccups in our trip other than the disclosed problem re getting into Budapest. If anyone has any info about how the rest of the journey will go please advise. Thanks

We are leaving on December 27 from Passau to Budapest on Viking Mimir. I am so curious about whether we can expect any hiccups in our trip other than the disclosed problem re getting into Budapest. If anyone has any info about how the rest of the journey will go please advise. Thanks

We are also going on this ship, my husband called a Viking and they said their maybe a chance to make it to Budapest, we are exciting to go.

My wife and I are going on this cruise also, can't wait. Hope it rains before we get to Budapest.

Panhandle Texan,

I look forward to meeting you. We are from New Orleans. Never wished for rain on a vacation before, but I'm with you this time!

Bailey Swedenfish thanks for the update, looking foward to our cruise, This will be our second time on Viking and so far we have enjoyed there service. I am traveling with my husband and adult children.

Thanks alexkrn46 and bailey swedenfish. Hope to meet you alexkrn46. I am traveling with my 14 and 16 year old children and we are all looking forward to it.

There are once again some very angry Viking cruisers posting over on the Viking FB page. Is Viking the only company not sailing all the way thru to Budapest??

Looks like we are in for an adventure....looking foward to meeting you all. Safe travels

We just returned 2 weeks ago from this same trip. We were suppose to cruise on the Eista but they changed at the last minute to the Mimir. The boat is beautiful and the staff amazing. We made it all the way to Budapest without any trouble. I will never forget sailing into Budapest at night. It was magical. Have a great trip and tell Johnny at the bar Dan And Diane from Indianapolis said Hi

Bailey Swedenfish thanks for the update, looking foward to our cruise, This will be our second time on Viking and so far we have enjoyed there service. I am traveling with my husband and adult children.

Your news is refreshing, my wife and I are in the upper forties and I was hoping we were not going to be the youngest onboard.

We just returned 2 weeks ago from this same trip. We were suppose to cruise on the Eista but they changed at the last minute to the Mimir. The boat is beautiful and the staff amazing. We made it all the way to Budapest without any trouble. I will never forget sailing into Budapest at night. It was magical. Have a great trip and tell Johnny at the bar Dan And Diane from Indianapolis said Hi

Thanks for the update

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to sugar coat the fact that ports are missed and the high end river cruise you must pay for way way in advance is replaced with bus tours at times.

I don't know about you but this would really irk me. And the frequency and the unpredictability of the interruptions is very disconcerting.

I am an experienced cruiser and travel who was seriously considering a river cruise for this summer. But I have to admit after reading several different threads, I am bagging those plans.

Very disappointed.

Everyone seems to sugar coat the fact that ports are missed and the high end river cruise you must pay for way way in advance is replaced with bus tours at times.

I don't know about you but this would really irk me. And the frequency and the unpredictability of the interruptions is very disconcerting.

I am an experienced cruiser and travel who was seriously considering a river cruise for this summer. But I have to admit after reading several different threads, I am bagging those plans.

Very disappointed.

Nobody is sugar coating anything. It's better to be able to make an informed decision. Now you know. Without CC you wouldn't. If you are an experienced cruiser then you know even on ocean cruises ports are missed. Sometimes entire itineraries are changed due to weather. The rivers depend on rainfall and snowmelt from the mountains, it's not like tides based on the moon.

Very disappointed.

The Danube had low-water problems this year. In 2013 it had flooding problems. When the problems are really severe all river traffic is suspended (by the authorities). But most of the time the shipping channel remains navigable and the docks are available -- as long as the river ship was designed for non-optimal conditions and the captain is experienced with that river. Every year Viking has more problems with non-optimal conditions because their ships sit lower in the water and also have more air-clearance -- and, according to my TA, their captains have less experience and therefore don't know where the bottom is sand (safe) or rock (bad news) -- therefore they stop sailing before all other cruise lines. There are also cruise lines that have designed their ships especially for these conditions and have very experienced captains -- AMA is the one I know best. This year AMA did not stop sailing or do ship swaps at all -- until the end of the season when they were unable to go quite as far as Budapest. If you are really worried about your expensive river cruise turning into a bus trip (as I would be), choose a river cruise line with a track record of sailing as long as possible.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I was just shocked from reading on several boards how many times cruises get curtailed, turned into bus trips, etc.

Believe me, I know traditional cruises miss ports. I've missed my share.

But river cruises sound like a situation where if you book it you have to make a deal with yourself to understand the risks going in and then not get upset or disappointed when it happens.

I will definitely check out AMA.

Cruise Critic is invaluable for these and other reasons.

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments.

I was just shocked from reading on several boards how many times cruises get curtailed, turned into bus trips, etc.

Believe me, I know traditional cruises miss ports. I've missed my share.

But river cruises sound like a situation where if you book it you have to make a deal with yourself to understand the risks going in and then not get upset or disappointed when it happens.

I will definitely check out AMA.

Cruise Critic is invaluable for these and other reasons.

Thanks everyone for your constructive comments.

In the Ocean Cruising world there are certain ports that are skipped quite frequently, which you wouldn't know unless you read it here on Cruise Critic [e.g. Bar Harbor, ME; Hubbard Glacier, AK] That's why CC is so valuable!