• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Paradise Reef

hgorski

I hear paradise reef is a nice snorkeling spot and is right near the ship. I'm not really wanting to take a taxi to get there. I'd rather walk if possible. Has anyone been there? How do you get to it from the ship? I have my own snorkeling gear. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not 100% sure (as I didn't try to get there from shore), but my experience is that you can't get to Paradise Reef without a boat (or a long swim...and you'd need to know where you were heading to to find the reef and not just blue.) It isn't shore snorkeling. It is a very very short boat ride from the marina though, and many operators will take you there. You'd need a taxi to the marina, however- but some snorkel boats may pick up close to the pier, skipping that step.

Paradise is also in the Marine Park, so you'll need a wrist band to show you've paid the $2 per day marine park fee. (Sometimes tours don't actually give you them, but if they see the park police coming, the wrist bands come out fast!)

Just a note: they are currently doing construction in the Paradise reef area, to expand the Carnival pier. Part of this construction destroyed a section of the reef (they moved some of it up North) so Paradise isn't as big as it used to be. And depending on the direction of the current, you have to be very careful to make sure you don't find yourself too close to the cruise ships. I don't know that I'd want to be there without a guide (though the two dives I did there were almost no current, but it is variable).

Edit: This thread has directions of how to get to Paradise Reef from the shore: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/25523-paradise-reef-cozumel.html

However, you are still in the marine park, so by law must have a marine park guide, and it really isn't something you'd be able to walk to from the pier, you'd still need a taxi.

Edited by skittl1321

Another vote for the Money Bar - taxi, depending slightly upon which pier you are at, should be about $10+tip each way (covers up to 4 in the cab, so pair up with others from your roll call ;)). Great snorkeling from the shore as well as good service and facilities.