• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Magic Deck 6 ??

sapphiregem

Hi

So I have on a hold a Carnival Magic Cabin 6280...just off elevators and 1 floor above atrium.

First cruise so I am wondering how the noise is for this area if anyone is aware of any.

This is out of Galveston in Aug 15' West Carib...Cozumel, Cayman, Montego

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

You are right above the Fun Shops, which is not too terribly noisy, and it does close down around 11:00-midnight. There may be a bit of a buffer set up to keep the atrium music from flowing into your room. But I would be concerned about being that close to the elevators. Some people love being right next to the elevators, but with my luck, I would be on THAT floor where all the loud, drunk people are yelling while stumbling back to their rooms several times a night every night. People (even sober people) tend to be louder when they first get off the elevators.

My bigger concern for you is that the deck 6 balconies look out onto a public walkway on deck 5, that sticks out quite a bit further than your room. On a recent thread, I must have angered a person for advising that OP to move up from deck 6. I somehow antagonized a person who totally loved their deck 6 balcony and totally loved having a public deck as a good chunk of their view from the balcony. These people seem to be in the extreme minority, but you could be one of them. So decide for yourself if this sounds like a good or very bad thing. For me personally, I wouldn't get a balcony any lower than deck 8 on this style of ship. From deck 6, when you look down, you see mostly deck, and the people on the lanai can see you. My favorite is a cove on deck 2, since those look straight down to the water. But from deck 8 or higher, the deck 5 lanai isn't much of an obstruction at all.

Here's a view from the lanai. The deck 6 balconies are only about 10 feet up from it. You will still see ocean, but you'll also see quite a bit of deck, depending on where your eyeballs are focused. (I have learned to clarify & expand on what I'm saying, while still keeping some things open to interpretation.):rolleyes:

0116.jpg

Edited by k2excursion

If you want any privacy at all you will want to be up higher! We stayed on deck 6 of the Dream (same design) and hated it! we felt like we wasted our money on a balcony because all day long there were people chatting away right under us and at night everyone could look right into our cabin . This year we did a cove on Magic and we LOVED it! We are doing the Magic again in 2016 but it will either be a balcony on 8 or 9 or hopefully another cove .

Im skeptical on the Cove ones...not fond of the idea of being that close to water....but maybe its because I'm a rookie and have no idea how the boat moves that close to the water.

Yes I do not want to be watched! NOPE not gonna do it.

I feel just the opposite. I've got my first cove balcony booked for this January because I absolutely LOVE the idea of being that close to the water.

I would love a cove balcony! But on the Breeze we will be doing a Deck 11 SPA balcony. The balconies on Deck 6 and even Deck 7 don't look that great as far as location.

Would hate to have a hot tub or the Bar BQ resturant right below my window. Anyone ever stay over 15feet over the Bar B Q lines?

here's that recent thread a PP mentioned. inside are my pictures (post #16) from our deck 6 balcony room (6395). we utilized our balcony, and i will say that there was hardly ever people crowding the loungers. id say 10 people, tops, on a 7 day cruise. :) we were also almost directly above a hottub. never had an issue with privacy ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095720

Edited by KLD1019

Im skeptical on the Cove ones...not fond of the idea of being that close to water....but maybe its because I'm a rookie and have no idea how the boat moves that close to the water.

Yes I do not want to be watched! NOPE not gonna do it.

You're not the only one who is skeptical about the coves. I loved the one we had on a sister ship. I've had a balcony way up high, I've had a suite balcony about halfway up, and a cove. The cove was by far the winner. Being that close to the water was amazing! You can really see the water rushing by, and I do like to look straight down to watch the ship hitting the water. If you are lucky, which I'm not, you could see flying fish or dolphins. In very extreme cases, when the waves are insanely high (and everybody's sick anyway), they can lock the cove balcony doors to keep you off there for safety. It very rarely happens. This extremely unlikely possibility keeps some people from booking coves. Other people don't like that the balcony is within the hull of the ship, with a solid barrier instead of glass. I actually enjoyed that part of the coves better also. I guess I felt more secure & relaxed being within the hull.

If you are booked using Early Saver, you would not be able to downgrade to a cove. You would have to cancel & rebook, which involves a $50pp penalty. If you didn't book the Early Saver rate, you should be able to cancel for a full refund at this point, which means in some method, you can downgrade for free. If you decide you want to do this, I would advise that you do not pick a cove from the midship elevators to the aft elevators. That would put you right below the noisy galley/kitchen. Some rooms below the galley aren't noisy, but many are. Stay forward of the midship elevators. Any of those rooms are fine. Below the dining room is best. That's what we had on the Breeze. Upgrading is always allowed with any rate; you would just simply take on the higher rate for the upgraded room.

Edited by k2excursion

We had a deck 9 balcony on the Dream 2 months ago. It was obviously 3 decks higher up, so it may be easy for me to say, but I didn't mind the layout at all. There were rarely people on the outer part of deck 5, although I'd be reluctant to book next to the hot tubs, as they do attract people. From deck 9, it was kind of nice to have something else to look at, in addition to the expanse of ocean spreading out to the horizon. I'm not sure I'd be reluctant to book a deck 6 (other than near the hot tub), but K2's description is fair and the photos portray the situation accurately.

thank you all for the responses...knowing myself and DD deck 6 won't work..i could do the 7 and up, but I don't like thinking who can or can't see me because i didn't realize how close i was to a deck level, so for the images and descriptions from all, i do appreciate it, gave me education to book accordingly. But I will google cove balconies, still skeptical, but now curious....you know what curiosity did...

thank you all for the responses...knowing myself and DD deck 6 won't work..i could do the 7 and up, but I don't like thinking who can or can't see me because i didn't realize how close i was to a deck level, so for the images and descriptions from all, i do appreciate it, gave me education to book accordingly. But I will google cove balconies, still skeptical, but now curious....you know what curiosity did...

Here is a video tour of deck 7 balcony 7377 which shows the deck below and the Bar B Q joint below. The view begins on the balcony at the 16:00 mark.

Deck 6 balcony was cheaper when I booked so I booked one all the way forward. If you book all the way forward or all the way back (make sure what you are on top of as on the port side aft it is the steakhouse but not sure about starboard) the promenade deck tucks back in and you have a much better view of the water. We really enjoyed it and the location was great as the Promenade was easily assessable but I didn't have to look down on it. :)

May I suggest that you also move towards the aft elevators?

First day the mid ship elevators are closed and the newbies who are eternally lost will always gravitate towards the forward elevators.

Any port days and the elevators and stairs become high traffic areas.

With an mid-ship or aft cabin, you can climb one flight of stairs and walk the hallway, if your forward, you have to wait for an empty elevator or hump it up 7 or more flights of stairs, ugh.

Sea days are iffy depending on what's going on, but we usually find ourselves on five and having to manuever around the crowds drawn into the narrow corridor outside the shops.