• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

has anyone booked a balcony discount for 2 rooms then switched the names

louieond

Has anyone else done this? We have booked 2 cabins, one in my name and one in DW's name so both rooms could get use of our balcony discount (guys in one room girls in the other). Our vacation consultant from RCCL told us to do this! What we would like to know is can we switch the names in the rooms at check in? As long as there is a credit card to go with the name what do they care who is in what room. Just trying to avoid fumbling around for keys if someone needs to go to the room.

We have done it before and did on our upcoming cruise. Now we don't know if we can get away with getting the drink package the first full day of cruising, when we change the rooms my son will be in with his twelve year old and won't have to pay for two adults in the room that way. Has anybody got the answer to that?

Sharon I

How much discount does each c & a member get? I thought the balcony discount was per couple not per person. For example, a 7 day cruise is $250/cabin, for 2 people or one person paying 200%. If one person is D+ and the other is not, do they still get the full discount or only half?

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have done it before and did on our upcoming cruise. Now we don't know if we can get away with getting the drink package the first full day of cruising, when we change the rooms my son will be in with his twelve year old and won't have to pay for two adults in the room that way. Has anybody got the answer to that?

Sharon I

RCI no longer requires everyone in the room to purchase a drink package.

One person may purchase one kind of package and the other person may purchase a different drink package or none at all.

You also can purchase it later in the cruise as long as there are 4 days left and it will be prorated.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thank you for the quick reply. We are both diamond members and we each booked a balcony room each, one with dh and son and one with me and grandson, each balcony cabin was discounted by $225.00 for a total of $450.00. We also booked the cruise while on previous cruise so each cabin has a $100.00 onboard credit.

Now another question if I can? Will they remove the divider adjoining balcony rooms on the Oasis?

Sharon I

Now another question if I can? Will they remove the divider adjoining balcony rooms on the Oasis?

Sharon I

The divider can't be removed but you can ask your stateroom attendant to open it up. The forward section of the divider folds back over the other section. Whilst it doesn't open up the space completely, it will give you a bit of a bigger balcony.

How much discount does each c & a member get? I thought the balcony discount was per couple not per person. For example, a 7 day cruise is $250/cabin, for 2 people or one person paying 200%. If one person is D+ and the other is not, do they still get the full discount or only half?

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's per cabin & only one person in the cabin has to qualify for the rate...just like Senior & Resident rates...only 1 person needs to be eligible...

In Mar. on the Oasis we booked two cabins. One in my DW name. One in my name. When we boarded we went to guest services. Got an extra door card for each cabin. DW had two cards so did Dsil. Asked the cabin steward to open the bal. dividers. Was no problem. We got our bal discount and on board credit for both cabins. It worked great for us.

Bob

Hi. Yes we did it. My husband and I are diamond plus. Our friends were not. There are a few things to keep in mind though. There is a minimal amount of hassle involved.

You have to wait until the ship actually moves to change the rooms. Until the ship moves everything is done at the port. The port agent will tell you to wait and do it on the ship. So what we did was sent the right luggage to the right room. My husband put luggage tags for the right room on his luggage and vice versa.

#1- you may be in different musters. As this is done before the ship moves.

#2 - the room steward just never quite figured it out and spent the whole week calling one

of the adults by the wrong name

#3 - both rooms got the perks even though the 2nd room eventually had no perks.

#4 - we had to get a supervisor at the guest services to fix the issue because even though they

moved the rooms - they screwed up the credit card information.

Would I it again? Yes. It really was a minor amount of trouble and saved my friends a lot of coin.

Hi. Yes we did it. My husband and I are diamond plus. Our friends were not. There are a few things to keep in mind though. There is a minimal amount of hassle involved.

You have to wait until the ship actually moves to change the rooms. Until the ship moves everything is done at the port. The port agent will tell you to wait and do it on the ship. So what we did was sent the right luggage to the right room. My husband put luggage tags for the right room on his luggage and vice versa.

#1- you may be in different musters. As this is done before the ship moves.

#2 - the room steward just never quite figured it out and spent the whole week calling one

of the adults by the wrong name

#3 - both rooms got the perks even though the 2nd room eventually had no perks.

#4 - we had to get a supervisor at the guest services to fix the issue because even though they

moved the rooms - they screwed up the credit card information.

Would I it again? Yes. It really was a minor amount of trouble and saved my friends a lot of coin.

How is this different than sharing a drink package? You are using a dishonest approach to get something you are not entitled to. So many posters jump all over people asking if it is ok to share a drink package yet in this thread everyone feels it is ok to change the names in a cabin to get a discount that is not applicable. Let the flaming begin.

How is this different than sharing a drink package? You are using a dishonest approach to get something you are not entitled to. So many posters jump all over people asking if it is ok to share a drink package yet in this thread everyone feels it is ok to change the names in a cabin to get a discount that is not applicable. Let the flaming begin.

The difference is that the official representatives/employees of the corporation that grants the benefits, Royal Caribbean Cruises, suggest doing this.

A friend of ours down the street was going to take his extended family on a cruise and was going to spring for a balcony cabin for all. The rep suggested to him that he place his wife in one cabin and him in the other. He became very indignant and told the rep that was not acceptable. The rep did not pursue that tact any further. The friend was relaying the story to me about the "numbskull" rep for suggesting such a thing... the look on his face when I told him the rep was just trying to get him the D balcony discount for both cabins.... Priceless!