• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cell phone or ship phone

rummenroman

There is a good chance I will be asked to complete a phone interview while onboard our cruise on Monday. They are only interviewing on Monday, and there is no option to move it to another day, period. (trust me that would be ideal!!!!!)

It will be a sea day which poses a situation, spend $8 a minute for using a ship phone, or using my cell phone for the interview. I would want to use my cell because of cost reasons, but I'm concerned about reception. I also want the room to be as quiet as possible, so using a public space is out of the question.

I am staying in an oceanview deck 3 room on the Vision. Does anyone have experience with the ships cell reception down in the bowels of the ship? I clearly don't want to play the "can you hear me now" game during the interview. I am prepared to spend the money for the ship phone if necessary, but having never used the service, how is it? Clear? No chance of dropping calls? Bill to seapass account? Ease of calling out? Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!

I notice that you're Emerald with many cruises so far, which means you're probably close to Diamond. If you were Diamond, you would have the benefit of being able to use the ship's phones for $2/minute, which is cheaper than what your cell phone would cost. (Calls to land from the ship's phone do get billed to the SeaPass account, while calls made with your cell phone would be added to your regular cell phone bill.)

Are you traveling with anyone who may be Diamond and could use their cabin's phone?

I'm sorry I can't give any tips about cellular service reliability down on deck 3 (or anywhere on any ship for that matter as I've not tried to use my cell phone myself).

Well, they are both using satellite connections, so I'm not sure there would be much of a difference in reception/connection. I used my phone on Majesty and had good reception. I think you can have good and bad reception at different places on the ship since you are basically dealing with a huge metal structure. The "cellular at sea" will show you how many "bars" you have. One suggestion might be to see how reception is up in the Viking Crown, compared to your cabin - it seems like no one is ever up there during the day and it's quiet.

Another suggestion - if you have ATT, there is a special cruise ship package you can buy. You have to call them to add it (cannot be added on line). It comes in 3 levels, phone, phone and text, and phone, text and data. Good news is that you can also use the package rates when in Caribbean and Bahamian ports and using the local carriers instead if cellular at sea. This works great for me.

Also, I don't think the rate for the ship phone is as high as you think.

Edited by MattInFLL

Actually, Patti (cruisenfever) is the one who spent the time composing that list of coupons.:)

Well thanks to Patti for putting it together, and thanks Bob for remembering it and answering my question. I did get the interview, so we will see how it all works out. I will be making a call at some point before the interview to ensure there aren't any problems.

Doesn't the ship phone have a 10 minute time limit? I remember getting an e-mail from RCI in response to a question I asked about calling the ship in an emergency. They said there was a time limit, but I am not sure if it was just for incoming calls.

I used my cellphone on Allure last week and had better reception than when I use it at work. (Seriously!) I was on Deck 14 near the balcony, so that may have helped.

And it was only $2.99 a minute with Sprint, no need to sign up beforehand.

As soon as I took my phone off of Airplane Mode, Sprint sent me a text message with the prices for the Cruise: "On Cruise ships to call US dial 1-area code-number. Calls: $2.99/min, Data: $0.012/KB, Txt sent: $0.50 recvd: $0.15. Sprint Care 1-817-698-4199"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bhaybeegrl

There are usually a few public quiet places during the day if reception its a worry. The chapel, lounge, or maybe even a conference room. Chapel may be your best bet, odds are it will be open (never found one locked). I'd ask about using a conference room too.

"(2701) Stateroom Phone discount of $2.00 per minute. (Guests will receive a discounted rate on stateroom phone call charges for the entire sailing. Phone calls must be made from stateroom [savings of 75%])"

Does this mean the rate is $2.00/minute or they just discount $2.00/minute off the rate?

"(2701) Stateroom Phone discount of $2.00 per minute. (Guests will receive a discounted rate on stateroom phone call charges for the entire sailing. Phone calls must be made from stateroom [savings of 75%])"

Does this mean the rate is $2.00/minute or they just discount $2.00/minute off the rate?

That's just typical Royal confusing wording.

The normal rate is $8 per minute. A 75% discount gets you a $2 per minute rate.

• 2 weeks later...
That's just typical Royal confusing wording.

The normal rate is $8 per minute. A 75% discount gets you a $2 per minute rate.

You don't get a 75% discount, it is a $2 discount which makes the service $6 per minute.

However we did get a major price break on the service, when they didn't charge us for the interview, only the 2 minute "see how the service worked" call. We didn't get the discount, but didn't want to stir the nest and have them find the longer call had not been charged.

There also is not outgoing time limit. You can talk for days and days if you wish to pay the fee.

You don't get a 75% discount, it is a $2 discount which makes the service $6 per minute....

Not the way it's been for us, unless Royal changed it when they went to electronic coupons. Here's the wording from the old paper coupons:

• Stateroom Phone Discount - $2.00 per minute stateroom phone rate (75% discount).

I used my cellphone on Allure last week and had better reception than when I use it at work. (Seriously!) I was on Deck 14 near the balcony, so that may have helped.

And it was only $2.99 a minute with Sprint, no need to sign up beforehand.

As soon as I took my phone off of Airplane Mode, Sprint sent me a text message with the prices for the Cruise: "On Cruise ships to call US dial 1-area code-number. Calls: $2.99/min, Data: $0.012/KB, Txt sent: $0.50 recvd: $0.15. Sprint Care 1-817-698-4199"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a bit confused by what I need to do with my cell phone - I guess I am somewhat technology-challenged. Do I put my phone in airplane mode for the entire cruise unless I need to make a phone call? If so, does that mean I can't use the internet also while in airplane mode? Do I still get internet service via my carrier (Verizon) or do I need to buy an Internet package onboard?

We are Diamond and we used the Stateroom phone to call our daughter on her birthday! Then, we checked the bill and RCI charged us the regular rate. We went to Guest Services and we were assured that it would be adjusted automatically by the time we received our final bill. We went back to Guest Services on the last day as it had not been adjusted and were again reassured that we would see an adjustment on the Final Bill. The Final Bill came and no adjustment....the lines at Guest Services were ridiculous and we would have missed out tour had we waited. We called after we returned home and we were told it would be corrected. We did receive the refund!

Diane

Edited by DianeMMHH
Correction

I am a bit confused by what I need to do with my cell phone - I guess I am somewhat technology-challenged. Do I put my phone in airplane mode for the entire cruise unless I need to make a phone call? If so, does that mean I can't use the internet also while in airplane mode? Do I still get internet service via my carrier (Verizon) or do I need to buy an Internet package onboard?

It's not hard to be confused, this is a complicated issue.

First thing I would do is turn off cellular data, just to make sure that you don't get charged the very high rates for cellular data on board the ship.

Regarding airplane mode, I'd turn it on if you don't want to receive any calls or texts. Then you can turn it off whenever you want to make a call or text.

Last, if you want to use internet from your phone, I'd turn on WiFi, connect to the ship's WiFi, and purchase one of the plans.

It's not hard to be confused, this is a complicated issue.

First thing I would do is turn off cellular data, just to make sure that you don't get charged the very high rates for cellular data on board the ship.

Regarding airplane mode, I'd turn it on if you don't want to receive any calls or texts. Then you can turn it off whenever you want to make a call or text.

Last, if you want to use internet from your phone, I'd turn on WiFi, connect to the ship's WiFi, and purchase one of the plans.

So I need to turn off cellular data AND put the phone in airplane mode?

What does the cellular data setting do, allow me to access the internet?

If so, do I have to turn it back on before connecting to ship's WiFi? :confused: