Be Glad You are not on a TA Cruise

AFT_LOVER

Last Sept we had Iceland cancelled due to Hurricane Lilli, now Greenland/Norway & Iceland have Hurricane Irene calling by Saturday................

I think the OP may be in a time warp! Lili was in 2002, and she chased me around the Caribbean. Last year's "L" storm was Lisa. :D

Theron

Sorry to be so dense, but when I read the title or the thread, I thought it meant a cruise full of Travel Agents!!!!
Would that be better or worse than the hurricane?:confused:

36_12_6.gif

Garry

Me too Matt.

Must be the Welsh connection.

(Formerly of Cwmfellinfach, Gwent circa 1957)

We are on the Connie doing the Canada/New England in September. I wish we could have met you and your wife.

Cwmru am byth

Lordy -- Can't those folks in Wales rent their own alphabet instead of confusing the rest of us who only think we recognize all the bits and pieces? ;)

Worse yet, Wales is spelled "C y m r u"

The Romans would never have believed it!

Why are cruise passengers always moaning and groaning about compensation? Wish I had a dollar for every post on these boards about what someone didn't like or didn't get and why he/she thinks he/she is entitled to some kind of remuneration from the cruiseline. We travel an awful lot in addition to cruising 3 - 4 times a year, and the only folks who consistently demand compensation for something or other are cruise passengers! What is that all about?

Another passenger form the Fall '04 crossing here.

Hey, see lots of my friends on here, so I thought I'd drop in and post. :)

Hmmm. After a perfect first six days, we got a day in Spain, and a very smooth six days across the Atlantic, in beautiful, sunny 80 degree weather, versus two rough days sailing across the ocean to Iceland, only to sit off the coast in high seas because the weather was too rough to tender in to port, and then four more days in rough seas to New York. Which would I choose?

I hate to say it, but I think WE might owe CELEBRITY some money!!!!!!!!:D

Let me add that I met the Captain that night we left Ireland for Spain at the CC reception. I thanked him for his wise decision, told him that I was satisfied with his reasoning and understood his decision, and assured him that most of Thousands of people on board with were understanding as well.

As a side note, this was the same TA that had a Canadian Pilot Plane buzz the ship several times off the coast of Canada, and some passengers asked for compensation for that, too.:rolleyes:

I'm signed up for my 11th TA next year already, and wouldn't hesitate to book one, even in Hurricane Season- seems that Celebrity Captains are QUITE capable of making sound decisions for my safety.

Hi, Blazerboy. We were with you, too. I can't remember why but I went to the Guest Relations desk right after they announced the change to Vigo. There were all kinds of irate complainers. When I finally got to the counter I told them that I wanted them to know that we were not upset by the change. Everyone behind the counter applauded! Sure, I wish I could have gone to Iceland but, like you, I knew we would not be allowed to dock or get anywhere near the port so why get upset.

BTW, the smooth crossing was TOO SMOOTH for me. Hardly a ripple for six days? How boring! I like a little "rock and rock" and I don't mean musically.

Lordy -- Can't those folks in Wales rent their own alphabet instead of confusing the rest of us who only think we recognize all the bits and pieces? ;)

Worse yet, Wales is spelled "C y m r u"

The Romans would never have believed it!

Diolch Yn Fawr Canderson

Ble mae'r tafarn? (Where is the pub)

Mae'r defaid wedi bwyta fy brechdanau! (A sheep has eaten my sandwiches)

Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn! (The red dragon will show the way).

Nos da. (good night) (we are 5 hours ahead and I have had a couple of beers!!!).

Matt:

A Welshman having a few? Stop the presses. :)

I wish I could translate but as a former Valley girl, I only speak tea towel Welsh. :D

And yes, I did not spell Cymru correctly. I was still stuck on coming from CWMfellinfach. I have seen many people here misspelling English so I should be forgiven for the Welsh.

Evana

Has anyone else noted that this year the storm tracts seem to be off the east coast... If you pick this year for a TA you might be in for a rough ride. Last year the post might have been .. if you're in the Caribbean you'll have a rough ride...

I sure wish these hurricanes would make up their mind so that I can pick a cruise where they're not... You would think that cruise lines were better than us ordinary folks when they plan their routes :rolleyes:

[quote name='MattOsprey']Diolch Yn Fawr Canderson
Ble mae'r tafarn? (Where is the pub)[/QUOTE]Best followed by "Dw i'n colli" or they take away your Welshman's ID card, don't they?

I'd thought it was a rule of law that one must at all times be aware of the location of the nearest off license.

[quote name='bananavan']Matt:
A Welshman having a few? Stop the presses. :)
I wish I could translate but as a former Valley girl, I only speak tea towel Welsh. :D
And yes, I did not spell Cymru correctly. I was still stuck on coming from CWMfellinfach. I have seen many people here misspelling English so I should be forgiven for the Welsh.
Evana[/QUOTE]CWMfellinfach??? You'd want to spell that very "Caerphilly"! How'd you wind up in the Valley?

As to how I ended up in the Valley, here is the answer. I wanted to be born in Buckingham Palace, but my inconsiderate Welsh parents had other ideas, see. So as soon as I could convince them that I did not want to be Welsh anymore we sailed for Canada. That was where I dumped my very Welshy accent and changed it to a Mid-Atlantic sound. And now that Wales is no longer a country to be feared, I am proud of my Welsh roots.
The bigger question, Canderson is how do you know how to spell Caerphilly so well. Are you perhaps another Welshman coming out and reclaiming your heritage? :D If so we might take over the world again and be recognized for more than our scones. Make that tea cakes. :p

[quote name='C 2 C']Has anyone else noted that this year the storm tracts seem to be off the east coast... If you pick this year for a TA you might be in for a rough ride. Last year the post might have been .. if you're in the Caribbean you'll have a rough ride...

I sure wish these hurricanes would make up their mind so that I can pick a cruise where they're not... You would think that cruise lines were better than us ordinary folks when they plan their routes :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]Bringing this up isn't going to do too much good, other than to put a damper on those who are cruising from Europe back in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Most have already booked, it is too late, so let's just not bring it up. NMNita

[quote name='bananavan']The bigger question, Canderson is how do you know how to spell Caerphilly so well. Are you perhaps another Welshman coming out and reclaiming your heritage? :D If so we might take over the world again and be recognized for more than our scones. Make that tea cakes. :p[/QUOTE]Have spent a bit of time in the UK.

Wales and the (ab)use of the old Latin alphabet still has me befuddled, though. I'm lucky I can recognize "Cardiff" when I see it spelled there. More to the point, the highland Scots are the only ones that pronounce English in a manner that explains the spelling. I often wonder if they had more to do with the standarization of English spelling than anyone admits.

Am not Welsh as far as I know. Looking in the mirror, more like an Irishman, I'd say. I enjoy singing (would never survive the "Singer of the Year" competition at St. David's, mind you) and a good pint, though, so perhaps I could get an honorary card of some kind.

Scones/tea cakes -- the objective is the same. Figure out how to get all of the offered clotted cream and strawberry jam onto the number of scones supplied.

was what was announced to the masses aboard Connie last Sept. So I guess you are calling the Captain warped?

I am passing the word to those presently cruising after reading all the distress with Bermuda being changed to Canada.

[quote name='bananavan']TPKELLER said "I think the OP may be in a time warp! Lili was in 2002, and she chased me around the Caribbean. Last year's "L" storm was Lisa."

Theron, have you not heard that time flies when you are having fun?[/QUOTE]

Archived