• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

The one place.........

rp23g7

So, whats the one place you got to visit as a fluke, that you haven't made it back to?

Ours? Puerto Rico, or Tortola.

In 2005 we had a Western cruise planned, Princess Cays, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel) but because of Wilma, we left the day before it hit Ft Lauderdale, we went down to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Tortola.

Would love to go see Puerto Rico again, we got there at 5 and stayed till 12, but didn't really get to see anything, roamed around the city a bit and went to Sr Frogs.

Tortola was a beautiful place, my favorite picture is the Star Princess sitting in the Georgetown pier from the top of the hill.

We rented a car and cruised around to the other side of the island, Frenchman's Cay is a really neat place,

What cruises go there regularly?

60670_1534551236212_4106776_n_zps323e687b.jpg

We were diverted to Freeport (instead of Nassau) a couple of years on Indy, and we have not been back there. Not really in a hurry to get back.

LOL and agree! We too were diverted there from a missed CocoCay stop one time many years ago and while part of the beautiful Bahama's, not exactly a post card place.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We were diverted to Freeport (instead of Nassau) a couple of years ago on Indy, and we have not been back there. Not really in a hurry to get back.

Totally agree! We were supposed to go to Turks and Caicos and got diverted to Freeport instead. Not an equal substitution, in my opinion.

Okay, can I bring up the reverse topic? Our first cruise was in January of 2006. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya and Cozumel. Because of the damage caused by Wilma (she was a problem, wasn't she?) we were unable to go to Costa Maya and went to Progreso instead. We even had to tender in Cozumel because of Wilma's wrath. Since that time, we have never gotten to Costa Maya...until this coming November when Navigator of the Seas is making a rare stop there instead of Belize.

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Fall, 2002 aboard the M. S. Volendam: Scheduled to stop at Bali, but the terriorist attack on a major hotel there prompted a State Department warning. A visit to Broome, Australia was substituted and proved to be absolutely delightful! A wild West-type of atmosphere in the small town with warnings about crocodiles in swampy areas of that part of Australia that will attack people (and did so just days before our visit; a visitor became "lunch" for a croc). People were very hospitable. Have wanted to re-visit and have yet to make it.

On the Carnival Magic a few years ago, we were scheduled to go to Grand Caymans and Jamaica and had to be diverted to Key West. It was always one port that I wanted to see but now that I've been there, I have no desire to return. At least I didn't have to pay extra to get there.

Okay, can I bring up the reverse topic? Our first cruise was in January of 2006. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya and Cozumel. Because of the damage caused by Wilma (she was a problem, wasn't she?) we were unable to go to Costa Maya and went to Progreso instead. We even had to tender in Cozumel because of Wilma's wrath. Since that time, we have never gotten to Costa Maya...until this coming November when Navigator of the Seas is making a rare stop there instead of Belize.

Pete

That's strange that you didn't make it to Costa Maya. We went on Navigator the week after Wilma hit in October 2005 and they skipped Cozumel and went to Costa Maya instead. It took us 3 years to finally make it to Cozumel.

Ghomeville in Western Australia.

We are on a private wine tasting tour. We all were prompt and got to the tour early. The guide/driver said we were too early for the first winery, so he would take us to Gnomeville. It seems the local government had about $90,000 left over at the end of the year. They could either give it back to the regional government or find something to spend it on. They decided to put in a roundabout at a low traffic T intersection. People thought it was a waste of money. Someone found a gnome leaning on a shovel and thought it was a good example of the local officials. So the gnome was put into the circle. Well, people liked it and started to add their own gnomes. Before long the circle was full and the gnomes were overflowing into the road. So they were moved off to the side of the road. There is now as are about 100 feet wide and a quarter mile long full of gnomes.

Pete

You didn't miss anything in Costa Maya, there wasn't anything there. We stopped there on our Norwegian cruise.

We did not miss a port but stopped late at night to fuel in st croix...captain invited passengers to get off and look around....after tough times for tourism years ago st croix is trying to win back ships...the pretty dock area was very inviting...we are planning a trip there next year ...lots of beaches to snorkel....

Since that time, we have never gotten to Costa Maya...until this coming November when Navigator of the Seas is making a rare stop there instead of Belize.

Pete

We enjoyed Costa Maya. We went there on the Mariner of the Seas, one of Navigator's sister ships. We took a ship sponsored tour to the Mayan ruins of Kohunlich. Very interesting and well worth it, in my opinion.

You might like to view a slide show my wife made with some of her pictures and posted on her website.

Costa Maya Shore Excursion To Kohunlich

Happy Sailing. It's a great way to see the world.

Not actually a cruise- rather a large maritime academy training ship that had to dodge a typhoon near Japan and ended up in unplanned ports where I got to meet the pilot of the Enola Gay (at an event on Saipan) and witness Albatross chicks hatching at the bird sanctuary on Midway. Talk about once in a lifetime experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, whats the one place you got to visit as a fluke, that you haven't made it back to?

Ours? Puerto Rico, or Tortola.

In 2005 we had a Western cruise planned, Princess Cays, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel) but because of Wilma, we left the day before it hit Ft Lauderdale, we went down to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and Tortola.

Would love to go see Puerto Rico again, we got there at 5 and stayed till 12, but didn't really get to see anything, roamed around the city a bit and went to Sr Frogs.

Tortola was a beautiful place, my favorite picture is the Star Princess sitting in the Georgetown pier from the top of the hill.

We rented a car and cruised around to the other side of the island, Frenchman's Cay is a really neat place,

What cruises go there regularly?

60670_1534551236212_4106776_n_zps323e687b.jpg

Lots of folk calling at Tortola:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-tortola-british-virgin-islands.html