AMAPrima Black Sea Voyage Live Blog/Review Sept 2014

Familygoboston

Metro and Public Transit in Budapest

Metro

Maybe it's just because I've been accustomed to the MBTA, which has to be one of the worst run transit systems on the globe:rolleyes: But I found the Budapest transit system extremely easy to use, inexpensive and very efficient!

Most of the major tourist attractions in Pest can be found along the Millennium (Yellow) line. The Vorosmarty (varooshmarty) Ter station is closest to the hotels and Danube River. Deak Ferenc ter is the major connection point to the other lines (Red and Blue) Opera is where the Opera House is, and Oktogon is an area with lots of cafes and shops, and a good place for a lunch break. Hosok Ter is Hero's Square, and an easy place to access the City Park too. Szechenyi Furdo is the stop for the Szechenyi baths. Mexikoi is out past the City Park, and the whole line pretty much follows the Andrassy Ut.

157755948.jpg

All the stations are located exactly across from one another (don't assume...come to Boston, you'll see what I mean! I'd insert another roll eyes here, but I'm running out of images available for this post!) You can easily determine the inbound and outbound trains by seeing the name of the last station of the line on the sign (I'm telling you...come and see for yourself...six trains can come and go and not one of them will go as far as you need to in Boston!)

The stations are just under the street, not in tunnels, so you never need to take an escalator or long tunnel to get to the train, just a few steps below the street. And they are gorgeous...with the wood and tile, the ticket booths benches and even the storage closets looked like fine furniture!!

I've never seen doors open and close so fast in my life...one needs to be prepared well before the train stops to get out, or you will miss your stop! Gather your bags, loved ones and prepare to leap from the train the moment the doors open! But the upside of this is that we never waited more than 2 minutes for a train, really, 2 minutes! (with Boston's inefficiencies, you have to wonder who is really living in a former communist city:rolleyes:)

Lastly, the transit is very affordable. We were able to get a 24 hour card that is good for unlimited travel for up to 5 people for 3,300 forint, which is about $15. You do need to buy the tickets and not every station has a ticket booth, so you'll need to look for one that does, or buy your Budapest card ahead of time on line (which also gives you some admissions to major tourist attractions and a free walking tour)

(The beautiful wood and tile work at the Opera Station)

157755920.jpg

Trams

The trams are above ground, like street cars, they also require a single use ticket which you can buy at post offices near the lines, a day pass, or use a Budapest Card.

One of the most interesting lines on the tram (it's billed as the most scenic tram in the world!) is Tram 2. It runs from Vagohid Utca, which is right on the Danube near the Marriott to the Jaszai Mari Ter (which is the foot of the Margaret Bridge) It rides along the Danube above ground so you can see all the sights above the Danube on the Buda Side. It also goes around behind the Parliament building and then back on the river bank. It's a fun ride to take because its scenic, but you could also walk the whole route in 20-30 minutes!

157755947.jpg

Hero's Square and Varosliget (City Park)

This area has several museums, a beautiful park area (including an outdoor skating rink) a "castle" and several monuments all built for the Millennium Celebrations. The Szechenyi baths are here as well as a kiddie zoo and fun park.

Archangel Gabriel atop the column of the Millennium Monument in Hero's Square

157755925.jpg

Detail of Arpad; the leader of the 7 chieftains of the 7 Magyar tribes at the base of the column.

157755926.jpg

The Colonnades in Hero's Square. When we got here, we were near the end of the 1/2 day tour with Magdi. After 2 days of learning all about Hungary's history, she quizzed us to see how many of the "heroes" we could identify! We did pretty well!

157755927.jpg

Vajdahunyad Castle

The castle was built only as a demonstration of Hungarian architectural styles for the 1896 Millennium Celebration. You can see by the sign on the gate that it is largely used for events and ceremonial functions today.

Gate

157755928.jpg

Romanesque Chapel near the Castle

157755929.jpg

We said our farewells to Magdi and headed back to Oktogon for lunch at Cafe Pause. It was starting to get a but cool, but the cafe had some heaters and blankets so we were cozy!

157755932.jpg

Here is your intrepid reporter working on her notes! Lots of time I read reviews and people put up a lot of pretty pictures with details like "church" or "museum".

Maybe its' TMI, but I like to include the name, how you might get there yourself, what is there and nearby and maybe a nickel history. I feel like this makes it more fun for arm chair travelers and more helpful to people actually reading to prepare to go to the place. Occasionally, in my exhaustion, I mislabel something...and luckily, that's where the 3rd kind of reader comes in...the ones who have been and can correct any mistakes!!

(taking notes on my phone while waiting for our Opera House Tour)

157755934.jpg

Opera House Tour

You can walk around the lobby for free anytime the Opera House is open. Because of rehearsals, the Opera House Tours are offered at 3 and 4 PM from about 3000 Forint per person (about $15). You buy tickets in the shop, and you should suss out what "options" you what want. There is an option to pay 500 Forint (about $2) for a photo bracelet, which allows you to take pictures during the tour. And another 500 Forint buys a short sample 10 minute performance you can stay for after the tour if you'd like to upgrade to that experience. We obviously upgraded to a photo bracelet for Jeff, but not being enormous opera fans, we opted out of the performance! Tours are offered in no less than 6 languages, maybe more!

157755933.jpg

As you can see the art and architecture is amazing! The nickel history is that the Hungarians wanted an Opera House but the King in Vienna didn't want them to build one larger than the Vienna Opera House, so of course, it's smaller, but the Hungarians believe it's built with more grandeur!

157755935.jpg

157755936.jpg

157755937.jpg

(stage)

157755938.jpg

(stalls and ceiling)

157755939.jpg

If you ARE an opera fan...this is one of the cheapest tickets in Europe and the season is organized so that different operas are staged concurrently, so if you plan a long weekend from out of town, you could easily take in more than one production!! My SIL and BIL found that many people on their cheap flight from Britain were folks having bachelor parties or other "weekend" getaways because the prices are so reasonable for food and entertainment!

TRAM 2 to Margaret Island

We love to bike ride and had the weather been a bit better this day we would have gone over to Margaret Island to rent bikes, but it was cool, threatening rain, and we had plans to meet our family back at the baths at 6, which didn't leave quite enough time to fit it in. But we did ride the scenic tram 2 the whole way and then walked over the bridge to Margaret Island to check out the scene there. It's another lovely park with all kinds of bike rentals, a small zoo, and other amenities. We also took a few photos from the Margaret Bridge. I find local parks to be a great respite form the city bustle and also a great way to connect with locals!

A panoramic view of Parliament, the Chain Bridge, Elizabeth Bridge and Liberty Monument on Gellert Hill in the distance.

157755941.jpg

A view of the Danube

157755943.jpg

A map of the island

157755945.jpg

There are all sorts of fun craft to rent...

157755946.jpg

Here is an idea of what rentals cost, about $10-15, You just walk across the bridge and there are a 1/2 dozen kiosks set up renting everything from scooters, to bikes to surreys with the fringe on top!

157755944.jpg

Hungarian Baths

At 6 PM we met our relatives at the Szecheny Baths in City Park. This was an amazing experience!! We chose to do it in Hungary for the ability to "take the waters" together in our coed group! We knew if waited for Turkey, we would be in separate sex areas. Also, I knew I would not participate in "massage" in either country. I have very delicate skin and it has taken years for my own estheticians at home to find the right combo of massage and product to work on my skin without damaging it. I wasn't about to put myself into the hands of a lady smacking me with rough towels! In fact I still have broken capillaries from the too rough waters of a "flow rider" experience on a large cruise ship 3 years ago!! So taking the waters together sounded like a perfect way to rest our tired muscles after 2 straight days of touring Budapest!

Even if you don't "take the waters" be sure to visit the baths to see the beautiful building!

157755931.jpg

When you arrive you will go to the entrance window, and there will be a range of options to choose from, you can choose services like massage or just opt for the thermal waters and a locker or a cabana where you can leave your things. You'll get a wrist band programmed with what you've purchased, and you'll wave the band to enter the building. Once you are in you should go downstairs to rent a towel if you'll need one, since you'll need to use cash to rent them plus leave a deposit, you want to do that BEFORE you change and leave your things in the locker or cabana (don't ask me how I know this, but know I do!!)

After you've secured your towels, wave your wrist band at the sensor on the wall near the locker, and the locker or cabana number will show up electronically. After you change into your bathing suit, you can find your locker to put your things away and lock them up. If you have a cabana, they are on the 3rd floor and it's big enough to use for changing, one at a time, and has room for a whole family to stash their stuff.

After everyone has towels, has changed and locked up their stuff, you are ready to go! There are large outdoor pools and a variety of indoor pools at different temperatures. You can come and go as you please! Then when leaving reverse the process, unlock, change, return the towels and get your deposit back, then exit and return your wristband.

Hallway outside changing cabanas

157755953.jpg

Cabanas, not much larger than a small broom closet, but there is bench and hooks for your things.

157755954.jpg

The tile work is beautiful throughout the baths

157755951.jpg

The outside baths- the building across form the outside baths has the indoor baths.

157755952.jpg

If you are thinking of using the baths, here is my "pack list"

flip flops or water sandals

bathing suit/ cover up is optional

towel (from the hotel or our relatives used their large multipurpose shawls they carry as cover ups, picnic blankets, head scarfs etc)

OR

You can rent a towel

a bag transporting for wet suits back (hotel laundry bag works for this!)

Dinner in Budapest

We made our way via the Metro (Yellow Line) and noticed the "Little Princess" down by the Danube. She's just there for fun, and after so many heavy hearted memorials, it was kind of nice to see something lighthearted!

157755956.jpg

We were on our way to Spoons, one of the river boat restaurants. Although Jeff and I would be dining on a river boat for the next week, our relatives were not and we had read this is one of those "experiences" to try. It turned out to be one of "those" experiences: over priced food that was just ok, and didn't justify the gourmet prices, pushy waiters haranguing us to get aperitifs and dessert, and it caters to a largely tourist clientele, so it has none of the charm of a place where the locals go. We really should know better that the closer you get to the water the prices get higher and the quality of food and service goes down. We had far better meals off St Stephens and Elizabeth Squares and paid far less!

I know I'm not being very positive, because the food was pretty good, and although the portions were quite small they were artfully presented. Whether you go is up to you, it's convenient to the hotels, but I think there is better food and prices to be had in other parts if the city!

157755960.jpg

157755958.jpg

157755959.jpg

My entree was 3 shrimp with some sprouts and endive for 5890 Ft (about $25)

157755961.jpg

We managed to have a wonderful time and a lot of laughs, because it was our last dinner with our family and we were having a wonderful time in Budapest and we weren't going to let one tourist trap ruin that!

(my SIL and BIL enjoying an aperitif!)

157755957.jpg

( coming tomorrow- our last 1/2 day in Budapest, a perilous adventure, and finally! Boarding the AMAPrima!)

Edited by Familygoboston

Getting there is half the fun!

Or not...

(If you've followed along with our live blog; you've already heard this story, but don't give away the ending!!)

We got up in the morning, had breakfast, repacked our bags. What happens after that is a tale that will change with each retelling over the years...the suitcases will grow in number and size, the Danube will be infested with alligators, in short, as we age, this tale will grow in the legend of our family motto:

"It's Not an Adventure Until Peril is Involved"

When I travel I do a lot of research. Did I say "a lot"? I may have exaggerated, actually, I research and plan obsessively before a trip. I usually go on the web to whatever forum has threads related to the trip I'm taking. In the case of this cruise, I spent quite a bit of time on the River Cruise Boards of Cruise Critic. I ask questions...I ask a LOT of questions. Did I say a lot? I meant I ask questions obsessively!

One of the things I like to learn about is logistics; how to get from here to there, where to stay, what's the procedure for this or that. When I get a sense for the logistics, then I don't have to spend vacation and touring time on them, I can move through the "business of travel" (how to get to the hotel, changing money, where to buy tickets for the metro etc) and enjoy the fun of travel (sitting in a cafe with a glass of wine, biking through the streets, touring a museum) So my sources on Cruise Critic all assured me I could easily walk from the Marriott in Budapest to the dock where the AMAPrima usually docks. I took them at the their word, but apparently I didn't ask quite ENOUGH questions.

We could see the AMAPrima from our room, it wasn't more than 1/2 mile away.

157755962.jpg

Sure we had 4 bags, but they all rolled and we can manage them easily, and frankly, if we did a little work getting them there; we could use it after all the rich food we'd been enjoying in Budapest!

So we rolled out of the Marirott with high hopes and our sights set on arriving at the river ship with little trouble, I'd done the research, I'd asked the questions, maybe I was even a little obsessive...I was confident!

157755963.jpg

Maybe we were a bit over confident, we started out on a big wide perfectly paved boulevard sidewalk, but to make it to the ship we had to cross 4 lanes of highway and tram tracks. No problem really, traffic control was good in Budapest, with pedestrian walks and lights. We found a pedestrian light and crossed over to the river. There was a sidewalk there, maybe not as wide and spacious as the boulevard sidewalk across the way, but certainly passable and we continued along past several small day cruisers.

Then something happened...to channel Shel Silverstein- "Where the Sidewalk Ends". We were faced with a chasm; a few granite cobble blocks barely wider than the lane marking stripes in the road, with traffic whizzing by just inches away with the merest of guard rails on one side and a set of steep stone stairs leading to the Danube river some 20 feet below on the other side. Imagine a tightrope walk, now imagine it with 4 roller bags, one of which contains all of Jeffs camera gear (and I'll remind you, dear reader, so you also feel the peril, that without this gear, there will be no pictures! Or maybe that's what you have been rooting for all along! )

We came to a dead stop "Where the Sidewalk Ends" to assess our options.

1- go back a 1/4 mile, and try to find a way on the surface streets and hope for another crossing closer to the ships dock (ding, ding ding! This was the correct answer!)

Or

2- carefully shuttle the weighty and unstable rolling bags across the perilous tightrope of cobble stones, taking care not to let go or trip, lest both we and the bags end up in the Danube below. The only way to do this practically is to take one at a time until all four are at the other side where the side walk begins again. (This was the WRONG choice and of course the one we chose!)

157755965.jpg

Having committed to the perilous journey on uneven cobbles mere inches from either certain death by vehicular homicide or drowning, Jeff starts across with the largest and most unstable bag, (figuring heck, if it's not going to work we may as well figure it out early in the process) Amazingly, he makes it across successfully leaving the bag alone on the other side (this is a travel no no, and we worried for a moment that someone might steal it, but it was abundantly clear that absolutely no one else was foolish enough to take this route on foot, even without 4 roller bags!)

So Jeff returns, carefully picking his way back for another bag. His real worry is sitting in his carryon bag- thousands of dollars worth of camera gear that is not terribly compatible with even a slight mist, much less getting completely submerged in a foreign river and floating out to the Black Sea. (we are pretty sure this was not what AMA had in mind when they advertised the "Black Sea Voyage"!) By this time, I want to speed up the process and had decided that I could manage both carry roll aboard bags if I take one in each hand and walk across the cobble path to the other side (really, won't I just be BETTER balanced with 2 ?)

Jeff of course is panicked, imagining me and the camera gear tumbling into the Danube (the camera gear is his biggest worry, of course; I can swim). So I start out with his camera bag in my Danube side hand and my carry on bag in the whizzing-truck-street side hand. Jeff's panic escalates, so to reassure him I do a tricky mid transverse "switch" of the bags, balancing over the Danube (thank God for yoga, this works!!) and he seems calmer with the camera gear on the street side, where it's only at risk to be smashed to bits by a passing bus.

157755966.jpg

Luckily, we did make it all the way across with all four bags, none of them made an "unscheduled water landing" and we found the wider side walk, and of course the much easier crossing just a few feet from the dock, where we should have gone in the first place! So if you are going on this journey and want to try walking, the advice is correct, it can be done...just don't follow us!

Here our our bags, safely secured on the AMA ship awaiting a more relaxing journey!

157755967.jpg

"it's not an adventure until peril is involved". So it's officially an adventure now!

For a brief (ahem:o) discussion of Pre and Post Stay options on this itinerary

157755968.jpg

Now that I'm in the midst of our Budapest itinerary, its a good time to organize some of my thoughts about Budapest and the various pre and post cruise options.

AMA offers quite a few choices for pre and post cruise for this itinerary. Each is priced differently or you can do all or some of it on your own. Really they are totally accommodating about making your trip they way YOU want it; I found that very impressive! (For our purposes I'll start on the upper Danube and work our way down, but the similar options exist in the other direction.) People on our cruise did all of these options, I'll comment based on my experiences and the comments made to me by my fellow travelers.

Pre Cruise Options

1-Start in Vienna, transfer to Budapest by bus with AMA

Lots of folks did the pre cruise with AMA, and they liked their tours in Vienna and that they had the whole Hapsburg (seated in Vienna) to Ottoman empire (seated in Istanbul) history from Vienna all the way to Istanbul. This felt like getting the "complete story". Several folks didn't love the bus tours in the city, and felt they were an "overview" at best and that being on foot with a smaller group or independently would be ideal, but they enjoyed the support of the AMA tour director and seamlessness of the touring.

A friend had concerns about the guide used in Budapest. She felt that he told inappropriate jokes and herded the group to an expensive (and nothing in Budapest is expensive!!) cafe where he appeared to have a connection with the owners. They were at the Central market where inexpensive food booths were easily accessible had the guide simply given them a choice of either and free time to explore. (note: everyone who expressed this concern to our Tour Manager Matyas, said he was very responsive to them, and I'm wouldn't be surprised if a change is made)

2- Tour Vienna and or Prague independently and transfer to Budapest on your own or with AMA

Several folks visited either or both Vienna and Prague on their own before making their way to Budapest with AMA by bus (or without AMA by train) Those folks took considerably more time (3 days or more in each city) and felt they got a much deeper exposure to the cities.

3-Embark in Budapest

A small percentage of us made our own way to Budapest (this is what we did) and spent from a day to 3 days there before embarking in Budapest. Those of us who spent a few days in Budapest got a much deeper exposure to Budapest than the 1/2 day city tour that is included for the folks arriving from Vienna by bus with AMA.

I will also say that doing Budapest independently on Sunday, Monday and 1/2 of Tuesday was not enough time because in the good weather seasons, Budapest has many "festivals" which close streets and venues on Sundays, and most museum are closed on Mondays. SO although we saw a lot of buildings, even with 2 full days we were not able to see as much as we wanted. We did not get to go into the Terror Museum or the Hungarian (Magyar) National Museum. We could not tour Parliament or see the Royal Palace in depth. We spent 2 days on foot and still left feeling like there was a lot left to see!

Post Cruise Options

1-Disembark in Rousse, transfer to Bucharest by bus or privately

Some folks planned to fly home from Bucharest or tour Bucharest on their own or take tours further into the countryside, particularly to see the castle of Vlad the Impaler. AMA can arrange the transfer, or you can arrange a private transfer to meet you at the dock.

2-Disembark in Rousse, Transfer to Istanbul by bus (overnight stay in Plovdiv Bulgaria)

The majority of our ship did this option. The people who did enjoyed the seamlessness of the Tour Manager with them through the transfer. They described the bus ride as long 4-6 hours per day, but broken up with stops and a stay overnight in the lovely village of Plovdiv. Some people did chafe at that much "bus time", when they could have been enjoying one of the cities.

3-Disembark in Rousse, transfer to Bucharest by bus fly to Istanbul

Just 8 of us chose this and one couple booked it last minute after learning about the length of the bus trip. We really liked this option because we had 2 full days of touring with our own guide before the others arrived.

The whole thing was very well organized; whatever "option pre and post you took, they had it seamlessly organized and even if you were "on your own" they were very accommodating about giving advice, helping you make arrangements, etc.

Many folks had used travel agents that weren't up on all the various options, which is why I wanted to share them here. Lots of people we talked to were part of a packaged tour from Canada and I'm sure they couldn't or didn't make too many changes, but others traveling independently could have had their TA query AMA about ALL the options and their costs.

When taking a trip of this size, it's good to feel like you at least have the chance to explore all the options and choose what's best for you! I was relentless about asking questions of my TA, who then would query AMA and report back and then, of course, I'd have MORE questions:rolleyes: (they are sooo good to me, my TA really should have voted me off the island a loooong time ago!!)

I wasn't satisfied until I had the itinerary set just the way we wanted; which for us was a pre stay on our own in Budapest, the AMA cruise with the "post cruise fly to Istanbul and included stay" option. It worked out just the way we wanted it to, and I like to think it's because I was such a noodge about asking questions and my TA's have more patience than is humanly possible!!

For planning purposes, I also posted photos of all the "pre cruise" documents and my thoughts about them as well as other planning aids I used, on our blog . You can find that here:

http://www.goseeittravel.com/travel-blog/2014/9/18/5sdxc5mn90d1m9fz90f0g6ywhlssnj

Vaci Utca and Central Market

When we arrived at the dock at 11 AM to drop our bags, we were met by several friendly crew members from all 3 ships docked together. We dropped our bags with them and they ushered us into the reception area of the AMAPrima (crossing the AMASonata) in case we needed a map or had any questions, but we were not yet permitted to board. Since we didn't plan to stay there (we had more touring of Budapest to do!!) we introduced ourselves and then made our way back off the ship to walk to the Vaci Utca tourist promenade and meet our family at the Central Market. This is just a few blocks from where the ship docks and it was easy to find our way there with just our carry on items (medicines, documents and valuables in the back pack)

Vaci Utca

157755970.jpg

157755972.jpg

157755971.jpg

Our thoughts about Vaci street is that it is designed for tourists. Prices were higher here and we found that while it was quaint and charming, it didn't have the same flavor of being a place where the local people also hang out the way St Stephens, Elizabeth and Oktagon squares were or the Jewish Quarter (even though we didn't see it at night) with its cafes and night clubs. In short, the Vaci had the feeling of being a very nice and very scenic "port" area for the River Cruise ships, probably because it is an easy spot to walk to if you were docked for the day. It was certainly nicer and more "authentic" than many "port" towns we've visited on ocean cruises!

Vaci St ends at the huge Central Market. In front of the Market is a Tram stop, where you can get trams into the center of Budapest. You can get tram tickets at the post office on the corner across the street from the Central Market.

157755973.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Central Market

We really enjoyed this market, it was a good mix of locals and tourists, and there were good buys and plenty of souvenirs to get to take home!

An overview of the market; even if you don't shop the architecture is impressive!

157755978.jpg

Downstairs is the fresh food market. Paprika is a popular item! Although most of us can't bring home the peppers, sauces and vacuum packed spices are available!!

157755976.jpg

There were lots of meat and bread markets too.

157755977.jpg

157755974.jpg

This lady was driving a particularly hard bargain...the butcher looked pained!

157755975.jpg

Upstairs is a craft and locally made goods market, that I thought was very good. Each vendor had different things and things of decent quality and prices were reasonable, and you could do a bit of haggling, for multiples or large purchases. Leather, decorative eggs and embroidered goods seemed to be the traditional specialties, but there were lots of local modern artisans also selling wares there. I really did well here with some gifts and souvenirs, better than the shops on the street!

The top level was also where the expensive cafe was located, but one side is crowed food vendor stands with little bar tables all around for a quick sandwich. Prices were reasonable, the food is made fresh in front of you and we had sandwiches that were excellent! if the tables are too crowded, you can get your food to go and eat on one of the benches in the square outside!

157755979.jpg

St Stephen Basilica Dome

After our trip to the market and lunch, we took the tram back to Deak Ferenc Square and walked back to St Stephens Square. Our relatives were staying another night there and we wanted to ascend St Stephen's Basilica Dome. You pay to do this, a few dollars, with an extra amount to use the elevator vs the stairs. In either case you will have to do some stairs to get outside on around the dome. But it is much less climbing to take the elevator for the first part.

The St Stephen's Square below (if you look where the yellow taxi is, that is where the gelato shop pictured below is located)

157755981.jpg

A view of Buda; the old town and Matyas Chruch and Fisherman's Bastion

157755982.jpg

157755984.jpg

This amazing roof is part of an Art Nouveau style building that was built as a bank

157755983.jpg

Right on the edge of St Stephen's square is a gelato place that makes your cone into the shape of a flower! I love ice cream, and we did not miss a gelato shop in every city we visited, but this one was the prettiest. Again, this area is very affordable; we were able buy 2 fancy gelatos for less than 5 dollars.

Gelato shop

157755986.jpg

Almost to pretty to eat...but I did!

157755985.jpg

After our gelato snack, we said farewell to our relatives and made our back to the ship via the tram. We embarked at exactly 3 PM, just before the folks arrived from the "AMA city tour" of Budapest. When I post again, I'll have a tour of the ship!!

Ship Tour of the AMAPrima

I always like to begin a cruise review with a tour of the ship; from stem to stern, top to bottom, especially for these "newer" ships that people may not have experienced or seen before. There are now several sister ships built exactly like AMAPrima, (and because we were rafted with 2 of them we could see that there were no discernible differences between them!)

(AMA ships rafted in Budapest)

157755995.jpg

Starting from the top, from the bow to the stern...Sundeck!

We had a large contingent of Canadian cruisers so the sundeck was popular, but never crowded, even on the chilliest morning. Most of us Northern, North Americans were well prepared for and accustomed to the cold with parkas, hats and scarves. Those who were caught unprepared could bring the spare blankets from their rooms to wrap up! Also the same views and commentary are available in the lounge...which is where our Californian and Texan friends would often be on cruising mornings!

Sun deck forward

157857624.jpg

The lounge on the bow

157755996.jpg

Captain on the Bridge

157756210.jpg

Pool

157755997.jpg

Pool Bar

157755998.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Ships Tour

OK, down the ships ladder (stairs) to the Violin Deck starting forward:

Lounge and bar (bow); this is where to sit for briefings each evening before dinner, entertainment after dinner and for commentary while cruising in inclement weather. There was plenty of room for everyone, and people became very friendly about sharing seating areas with new friends. Wherever you went people would make room for you to join them!

157755993.jpg

157755994.jpg

Reception

I forgot to take a photo!! But this is a beehive of activity, and always staffed, but we never waited for more than one guest to transact their business. Make change, pick up a map or boarding pass, review your bill, just about anything you need, you can get it here! There is also a small gift shop just behind reception.

The Tour Directors/Matyas Desk; Though he's hardly ever here, because the man did not sit for 2 weeks that I ever saw, and you can approach him anywhere with questions, concerns or accolades, this is where you find his charts with the details of departures and sign up for optional shore excursions. An identical desk is across from his for the Hotel Director, should you have any concerns about food or lodging.

157756005.jpg

Exercise room; we wanted one on board, but just for moral support, because we sure as heck never went inside!

157756003.jpg

Chefs table restaurant (stern); This is the formally unpronounceable restaurant that has been re named "Chef's Table" (not a moment too soon for me and probably why they did it!) You need to make reservations after you board and are asked to enjoy the experience just one night, so others can too.

We did not make a reservation because while Jeff likes to try local foods, he doesn't stray too far from what he is comfortable with, so the menu intimidated him a bit...but don't let that intimidate YOU! When the Hotel manager and chef learned that one of our dining companions didn't want to go with his wife and friends because of the menu; the chef custom designed one for him based on his comfort zone! I consider that spectacular service!

157756002.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Ships Tour

Cello Deck

Dining Room (bow)

157756006.jpg

Private Dining rooms, 2 smaller rooms which were open to anyone

157756007.jpg

Breakfast buffet and omelet station; in the mornings and at lunch the DR was transformed with a buffet. However, even at these meals service was excellent, waiters providing coffee and filling special requests or bringing items ordered off the menu for you. The only morning it was a bit understaffed was the morning we arrived in Giurgiu for Bucharest tours- many of the crew are Romanian, and because lunch is "off site" for most guests on tour; this is good day to give some of them a day off to visit with their families! Honestly, I am amazed at how hard they all work!

157756229.jpg

157756227.jpg

Captains table, which is where he actually eats!

157756228.jpg

As soon as we arrived at 3PM, we were escorted to our cabin by one of the cabin attendants, and our luggage was already there.

I'm sharing this schematic because there was some debate on the River Cruise Boards about whether a Twin Balcony Cabin, "cuts into the room". As can be seen clearly on the schematic which must be pretty accurate as its a safety tool posted on the wall in case of emergency, on this class of ship, Suites are larger than Twin Balconies, which are larger than French Balconies, (even with the "cut in". And French balconies are larger than the Fixed Window (aquarium cabins). Whether you need or want the space or amenities is entirely up to each cruiser. I will also post photos we took of a French Balcony Cabin and photos of a Fixed Window cabin our friends had secured very last minute.

Schematic of the Ship

157756101.jpg

Our Cabin 217 Cello deck Cat BB Twin Balcony

157755988.jpg

157755989.jpg

157755987.jpg

Our cabin had this neat window in the bath...you could put on the light and see out the window REVEAL (including the view while cruising!) OR you could turn the switch off and block the view both in and out of the bath (CONCEAL).

It had my inner child intrigued...

Conceal...

157755992.jpg

Reveal!

157755991.jpg

Conceal...

157755992.jpg

Reveal!

157755991.jpg

Conceal...

157755992.jpg

Reveal!

157755991.jpg

Really, simple people are amused by simplist things!

WOW!!!!! Nothing else, just WOW!!! What a beautiful ship and wonderful tour of it. Is your cabin class the highest non-suite cabin? Balcony looks delightful.....I just love a balcony, even a french one, whether I'm on a river cruise, ocean cruise or hotel!!! Nothing makes me happier than a balcony! :D

Question: If the Captain eats at table #2, who eats at table #1????

Voltage, Adapters and Plugs, OH MY!

Many questions about adapters and plugs...

All of the plugs were reported to be 220v by the ship.

This 220 plug which accepts round plugs is on the desk in a handy spot; except that its used for your phone and your Quiet Vox touring system charger, so unless you want to unplug one of those things, you can't use it for your own electronics

157756208.jpg

There is an outlet hiding behind the TV, and it accepted a US style plug.

We have our Monster Travel power strip plugged into it, which will work with either 220 or 110 voltage, but it has a US style square plug. This plug behind TV accepted the US style plug. The ship says it's 220v, so you still need to consider if your US appliance/chargers would work with 220v; this power strip allowed us to use either voltage, but without it I can't guarantee that it would be compatible with standard US appliances or chargers that aren't compatible with both 100v and 220v. (some are so you can check!!) Most Apple device chargers come with an adapter for 220v

157756206.jpg

This outlet near the french balcony floor is for 220v round plugs (probably the vacuum for the stewards!) It's not a great place to charge things since they would need to be left on the floor.

157756207.jpg

This outlet in the bath is compatible with the provided blow dryer, but if you are bringing US style appliances, you would need an adapter.

157756209.jpg

WOW!!!!! Nothing else, just WOW!!! What a beautiful ship and wonderful tour of it. Is your cabin class the highest non-suite cabin? Balcony looks delightful.....I just love a balcony, even a french one, whether I'm on a river cruise, ocean cruise or hotel!!! Nothing makes me happier than a balcony! :D

Question: If the Captain eats at table #2, who eats at table #1????

Thanks! Hubby is the photographer so all credit goes to him:D

No, our cabin was the CHEAPEST Twin Balcony option. Our cabin was BB... it is the exact same size as the BA's on Violin Deck, but costs less because it's the lowest Twin Balcony cabin you can get. The next category down is the French Balcony Cat C. AA and AB's are smidge bigger 235 sq ft instead of 210 sq ft of the BAs and BBs. Cat C French balconies are advertised as 190, Fixed Window Cat D or E is advertised as 160 sq ft.

Gee, I never saw table 1???:p

More AMAPrima cabins

A French Balcony Cat C cabin (#330) we peeked into before sailing:

157756004.jpg

Our friends Fixed Window Cat E (#114) cabin; which they described as uncomfortably small. The gentleman was a tall man, like my husband, and the whole cabin and especially the bath, was just far too small. The were also disappointed with the high windows and being so close to the water line. It was a last minute booking, (about 3 months) and this was the only choice for them, which is a good lesson, as the best cabins do often sell out fast!

157756097.jpg

157756098.jpg

157756099.jpg

157756100.jpg

I have no photos of suites or the AA, AB cabins which would look quite a bit like ours except a bit larger.

As far as my opinions...I will post for each port whether we were rafted next to something or not (a floating welcome center or another ship) but in general, I would say cabin choice is up to the individual. Jeff likes an outside balcony for positioning himself for photos, however, on most cruising days we were on the sundeck anyway. We did like having the window at eye and bed level, and would not be happy with the views or size of the D and E cabins, but they are a budget option. I would be happy with a French Balcony on ships that only have that option.

YAY Ship photos!:D Are you going to be posting larger copies of the photos anywhere? I am interested in seeing the ship layout diagram, it is too small to read on here.

The AMA website has one too...

http://www.amawaterways.com/ships/amaprima

But I will try to post a higher resolution of that photo on my blog and post the link here. If I post a larger photo here all of the text for the whole thread will re size and be too tiny to read!

Glad you like the photos!

The AMA website has one too...

http://www.amawaterways.com/ships/amaprima

But I will try to post a higher resolution of that photo on my blog and post the link here. If I post a larger photo here all of the text for the whole thread will re size and be too tiny to read!

Glad you like the photos!

Thanks! The Ama website one isn't as detailed. I am loving the pictures, I always prefer guest photos over the photos provided by the company. :) I have BB cabin number 224 in December on the Prima so I have been really looking forward to seeing your review and thoughts on your BB cabin. Also, did you get any photos of the gift shop, the al fresco dining terrace and the library area?