• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Few questions with 3 weeks to go until 1st cruise

Danem7683

Ok here goes- much appreciation for people who answer.

1) how many packs of cigarettes can my mum take on board for herself for a 12ngt cruise for her personal consumption.

2) Could I purchase a bottle of whiskey from duty free onboard and drink in my cabin only?

3) what are your top 3 must take items when cruising?

4) any good tips/words of wisdom for me being a first time cruiser.

Xoxoxo

1) how many packs of cigarettes can my mum take on board for herself for a 12ngt cruise for her personal consumption.

IMO, she would be better off buying them on board. It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which onboard prices wouldn't be cheaper than off. Other than that advice, I do not believe that there is any limit.

2) Could I purchase a bottle of whiskey from duty free onboard and drink in my cabin only? Absolutely not. Completely forbidden. They will give you your purchases on the last night so that you can pack them to go home.

3) what are your top 3 must take items when cruising? Money. An open attitude. A smile.

4) any good tips/words of wisdom for me being a first time cruiser. Don't forget your passport, credit card, money and appropriate clothing. Read your Cruise Compass "religiously".

Xoxoxo

See answers above in red. :)

1) how many packs of cigarettes can my mum take on board for herself for a 12ngt cruise for her personal consumption. Not a smoker, but I don't think there is a limit.

2) Could I purchase a bottle of whiskey from duty free onboard and drink in my cabin only? No, If you purchase on ship it will be held for you and delivered to your cabin the last night

3) what are your top 3 must take items when cruising? Money, Money, Money

4) any good tips/words of wisdom for me being a first time cruiser. Don't be afraid to order more than one appetizer, entree or dessert at dinner!

Have fun!

Xoxoxo

Answers above in red!

Your mum does realize that there are only a few places on board to smoke??

2) Could I purchase a bottle of whiskey from duty free onboard and drink in my cabin only?

My husband, money(credit card), and a good attitude!

Enjoy your cruise - be nice to everyone, especially the people who serve you - Have fun!!

Xoxoxo

Hope this helps!

Edited by chickadee1

Buy cigs onboard! NO taxes!!!!! Only limit might be if luggage gets inspected when you disembark.....a true rarity

Booze: No! There are a ton of folks that buy all kinds of rubberized things to hide booze in the luggage, many get away with it, some don't.

What to do:

#1 When you board, walk the ship, get used to the locations of bars, Dining venues, Show lounges, all the various options.....And while you are doing this, wear a smile, and actually say hi to total strangers...with that same smile!

# 2 Anyone in uniform can offer assistance should you have a question.

# 3 Every evening you will get a complete rundown on the next days activities, make use of it.

#4 Right now, relax! You are going on a cruise, over the many years I have cruised I have observed folks work themselves into a frenzy! Kick back, relax and Bon Voyage!

1) how many packs of cigarettes can my mum take on board for herself for a 12ngt cruise for her personal consumption. Absolutely no idea!

2) Could I purchase a bottle of whiskey from duty free onboard and drink in my cabin only? Nope!

3) what are your top 3 must take items when cruising? Camera, Sense of adventure, comfortable shoes!

4) any good tips/words of wisdom for me being a first time cruiser.Have fun! Have a sense of humor, and be willing to take risks. Remember that everyone seems to be in a hurry to get off the ship, and that for some reason everyone seems to think the buffet food will run out if they don't push and shove for it. So take a breath, enjoy the ride, and don't let anyone else ruin your fun! (For the most part people are amazing onboard, and a lot of fun). Oh, and go to your Meet and Mingle! You'll meet lots of awesome folks there.

Xoxoxo

You're going to love it!

The only tip I would add is check that your passport and ID and wallet is in your hand for every cruiser with you, pull them out to actually see, before you leave your house. I've known people that thought it was in their purse or pocket and had actually put it down in their house and didn't pick it back up. I always look as we sit in the car, for tickets, passport etc, before pulling away from the house.

Then have fun, fun, FUN!!!

1. I'd take a carton plus an E-Cigg for 12 days. Despite restrictions, smokers

tend to light up more on vacation.

2. Personally, not worth the hassle/risk to smuggle booze.

3. Three AC outlet extension with nightlight, video-underwater camera,

iPod/radio w/speakers.

4. Try something new and different, whether it be food choices and/or a

shore excursion adventure (ever go horseback riding on the beach? :)).

Edited by Philly Steve

Bring the cigs you need, unless you smoke the major, mainstream brands. You can bring as many as you want. The ship's selection is VERY limited.

Exactly what I was going to say, since I would rather quit cold-turkey than smoke American cigarettes and perhaps the OP's "mum" may feel the same.

Edited by ronandannette

Don't bring any - buy them on board and save.

Three Warnings I like to give to all "Newbies":

1) Plan on spending the rest of your life looking forward to your next cruise. :D

2) Hope your children can get scholarships because you are going to spend their college funds on cruises. ;)

3) If you don't gain at least 5 pounds, you didn't have enough fun! :p

Danem,

What brand does your mother smoke? They do not have every brand.

Do know that you can only bring back two cartons per person purchased out of the US. There is usually no problem and when you go through customs and immigration you may or may not be asked. You can carry two cartons for your mother if you wish and unless customs and immigration finds other infractions there should not be a problem with both of you coming through with five cartons.

You should not attempt to bring liquor for the cabin. It will be confiscated and returned at the termination of the cruise. Your checked and hand luggage is x rayed before boarding.

The three things to bring are: an extension cord because there is only one base outlet in the cabin, unless you are in a suite. You will also need a converter. If you are not familiar with the American diet you should experiment with your food choices. You can request a second entrée if something is not to your liking. There will be a variety of ethnic foods in the buffet including currys. Bring a sense of adventure. We sail with Brits quite a bit and sharing your lives opens eyes for us all.

Enjoy every moment and keep cruising.

Danem,

What brand does your mother smoke? They do not have every brand.

Do know that you can only bring back two cartons per person purchased out of the US. There is usually no problem and when you go through customs and immigration you may or may not be asked. You can carry two cartons for your mother if you wish and unless customs and immigration finds other infractions there should not be a problem with both of you coming through with five cartons.

You should not attempt to bring liquor for the cabin. It will be confiscated and returned at the termination of the cruise. Your checked and hand luggage is x rayed before boarding.

The three things to bring are: an extension cord because there is only one base outlet in the cabin, unless you are in a suite. You will also need a converter. If you are not familiar with the American diet you should experiment with your food choices. You can request a second entrée if something is not to your liking. There will be a variety of ethnic foods in the buffet including currys. Bring a sense of adventure. We sail with Brits quite a bit and sharing your lives opens eyes for us all.

Enjoy every moment and keep cruising.

My mother isn't fussy, she smokes lambert and butler, sterling etc.

We are from the UK and sailing in Europe so the US bit doesn't apply to us.

Looking forward to trying the American diet- I just hope they have lucky charms- a favourite breakfast cereal of mine but so expensive here for a box- looking at $15 a box!

Don't bring any - buy them on board and save.

Three Warnings I like to give to all "Newbies":

1) Plan on spending the rest of your life looking forward to your next cruise. :D

2) Hope your children can get scholarships because you are going to spend their college funds on cruises. ;)

3) If you don't gain at least 5 pounds, you didn't have enough fun! :p

Well said!

To the OP, enjoy your cruise!

Xoxoxo

1) She can bring as many as she wants on board, but they are much cheaper to buy in the stores on board.

2) You can not buy at stores or bring on board with you. Most cruise lines will allow one 750 ml of wine per person. If by chance you are sailing on Carnival you can buy a bottle of alcohol and mixers for your state room prior to sailing. You can also carry on a 12 pack of soda or a case of water per person. Alot of people are not aware they can buy liquor and mixers, it's a little pricy but having drinks on your balcony is wonderful.

Holy smoke! Are cigarettes really £75/carton?

I stopped smoking back when they hit 50 cents a pack because they were too expensive!

I found it convenient to have a highlighter to mark activities on the Compass I wanted to attend. If you and your mother plan to do separate activities, two different colors are helpful.

Tip: The drinks they offer at sail-away aren't free.

Bring - reading material/ipod so you can sit relax, read and/or watch the world go by

Not sure where your cruise is headed but sunscreen is probably in order

Some people like to put their Seapass card on a lanyard instead of carrying it in their pocket - bring a lanyard and Guest Relations on the ship will put a hole in it to wear on your lanyard

What NOT to bring - alcohol (2 bottles of wine is allowed but only wine), skip the space for packing a hairdryer as every cabin has one, and finally no irons, candles, etc as they are not allowed.