Dominica Whale Watching Excurions

Giorgi-one

I tried to get info on the Dominica Board but as far as I can see no one has been on that board for the last 3 days.

Has anyone been on the whale watching excursion offered by Celebrity in Dominica? It is listed at 3-1/2 hours and costs $80. Can you tel me what type of boat they use and how much rocking to expect? Some of the operators use boats with upper decks and they really rock and roll at low speeds or when stopped. I have been on 30 cruises and probably as many ocean excursions and got seasick only once on one of these boats in the Bahamas. Also, of course, let me know if you actually saw any whales. Thanks!

I'm sorry that I can't speak about the specific excursion through Celebrity. We did one while sailing on Princess several years ago in February. Our boat was a catamaran and it was only one level. I will say that it was one of the most memorable excursions I could have hoped for.

We really lucked out because we had a graduate student and his assistant sailing with us. They were allowed to go on each sailing and do some research as well in exchange for giving some narration during the tour. It was so incredible! It was like being on a National Geographic excursion. The boat uses a device to locate the whales by sound I believe. We got close to a group that included a baby. The baby and its mother came right up next to our boat but not so close that we were concerned. I have countless pictures of whales jumping out of the sea. The student was able to tell us about whale behavior in general and some stories about these specific whales they had been studying.

I have read that Dominica is one of the best places for whale watching. I would definitely try it again because even without the student onboard it would have been fantastic. You also have the fabulous views of the Dominica rainbows as well.

We did ours with Carnival on a brand new boat very comfy .were with Researchers of Dalhousie University of Halifax ....found whales ans saw them up close ..Moms and babies

They said 3.5 hours but we came back much later ...nice first look at whales but THE place is Auke bay in Juneau Alaska .....so many pods bubble feeding awesome and Unique

I'm doing this on my January cruise. What kind of whales did you see. I understand that sperm whales (Moby Dick) hang out in the Dominica area...did you see any? I had this same shore excursion booked when I did this cruise almost two years ago and the shore excursion was cancelled due to lack of interest..I hope this is not the case in January.

We did this excursion in March booked with Celebrity. The boat was two levels, which was really nice for those who wanted to avoid the direct sun. They were able to still see, but be sun protected. We were able to walk about on the boat and see. We saw dolphins but saw no whales. Additionally, there was another excursion offered on a much smaller boat, low to the water and everyone seated close together and unable to move about. I think it was called a rib boat. They had NO protection from the sun. We saw them out in the water and it looked miserable. Check the boat style before you book. I did not feel our boat rocked more than average. It was a beautiful day and we liked the boat and truly enjoyed the dolphin antics.

we did the excursion while on the Celebrity Summit back in December 2009. We saw quite a few whales -including a couple of 'teenagers'.

I don't know what type of boat it was but it definitely was not a catamaran. There was an 'inside' section but most of us were outside watching the whales entertain us.

In January there were no whales to be seen in Dominica on that excursion. Nice boat ride but not a whale anywhere. They had not been seeing many at all, as I had been checking up until we cruised. Best place is Alaska and Hawaii.
Darn. I've done both Alaska and Hawaii, but wanted to see the sperm whales that are said to be in Dominica waters November through March. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

We did Whale and Dolphin Watching in Dominica last January off Equinox. MOST memorable day of our cruise.

We saw both Whales and Dolphins. We did the RIB boat and it was great! There is a larger multi-deck boat as well.

Be warned the RIB boat is fast and you hold on tight. BUT if you want an adventure...it's for you. It's a large zodiac-like rubber boat that seats about 16-20. For the best view sit in the very front seats if you can.

It's fast, so it gets out to the whales first. It's low to the water, so you feel you can practically touch the animals. Great fun crew with years of experience out there and they love (and personally know) each whale. You have no shade on the RIB boat so sunblock good before you go and bring a hat!

If all this sounds like fun...do it! If it sounds a bit much...do the larger boat.....BUT if whale watching interests you....do it in Dominica.