• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pricing makes zero sense...

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids). When we booked our cruise, the promo was the "Friends and Family Sail Free", so we booked a B1 Boardwalk Balcony and the total came out to $3,017. Out of curiosity, I did a ghost booking just to see how much it would've been had my DH and I booked for ourselves without the kids. To my surprise, it came out to $1,932!!! That's over a $1,000 difference! Now even if the BOGOHO Sale wouldn't apply, I understand it would be around $2,500, but still... Even with the 2 kids and their port fees it seems like we are still overpaying by about $300. What the..?!!!

Basically a cabin that can accommodate 3 or 4 people has a higher base price for the 1st and 2nd person than does a cabin in the same general category that only accommodates 2 people.

So even though you get a "sale" price on the 3rd and 4th it is largely offset by the higher base price.

Sometimes it is still a deal but often it just sounds like one til you check the prices :)

When doing mock bookings OP not only has to compare the prices but must also compare the categories to make certain it's an apples to apples comparison. Additionally due to the lower number cabins that can hold of 3 & 4 Passenger the base prices is general always higher than that for cabins that only hold 2 passengers. It's called supply and demand.

When doing mock bookings OP not only has to compare the prices but must also compare the categories to make certain it's an apples to apples comparison. Additionally due to the lower number cabins that can hold of 3 & 4 Passenger the base prices is general always higher than that for cabins that only hold 2 passengers. It's called supply and demand.

Yes, the mock booking I did was for the same category, B1, as well as for the two closest staterooms I could find. They were only one stateroom apart actually. In any case, it makes sense that the base pricing would be different if the stateroom can accommodate more passengers. Thanks! That makes me feel a tiny bit better :)

Yes, the mock booking I did was for the same category, B1, as well as for the two closest staterooms I could find. They were only one stateroom apart actually. In any case, it makes sense that the base pricing would be different if the stateroom can accommodate more passengers. Thanks! That makes me feel a tiny bit better :)

If I may suggest, keep in mind what you're paying on a per person basis...even if you have the kids sailing free, split the total price by 4 so you know what everyone costs.

Then, as time goes by, you can compare booking adjoining or connecting cabins to see if putting 2 in each comes out cheaper than what you're paying with the quad. Sometimes, they will reduce cabins in certain categories and not others, and for a few dollars more, it might be advantageous to move to 2 cabins with 2 bathrooms and more space.

Just a thought to consider going forward.

If I may suggest, keep in mind what you're paying on a per person basis...even if you have the kids sailing free, split the total price by 4 so you know what everyone costs.

Then, as time goes by, you can compare booking adjoining or connecting cabins to see if putting 2 in each comes out cheaper than what you're paying with the quad. Sometimes, they will reduce cabins in certain categories and not others, and for a few dollars more, it might be advantageous to move to 2 cabins with 2 bathrooms and more space.

Just a thought to consider going forward.

Yes!! I did try that! It was actually about $700 more, but it definitely crossed my mind. Adjoining cabins would be awesome, our kids will be 6 and 14 months at the time of sailing so the more space the better. Will definitely keep an eye out, thanks!

Edited by NoWavesInCali

Basically a cabin that can accommodate 3 or 4 people has a higher base price for the 1st and 2nd person than does a cabin in the same general category that only accommodates 2 people.

So even though you get a "sale" price on the 3rd and 4th it is largely offset by the higher base price.

Sometimes it is still a deal but often it just sounds like one til you check the prices :)

I agree with you.

I am glad I am not the only confused with RCL BOGO sale which really not a sale at all. I spoke with my TA yesterday am looking for a balcony on NOS in 2015 find the pricing for a wave season expensive and even looking at the BOGO price it makes little to no sense it seems like a semi high price for a standard balcony cabin during a slower period of time and did notice that most of the hump cabins are still available. And when you see Oasis and Allure for the same time frame much less than the Navigator that really gets me shaking my head.

So to me I guess what you intend to book will either work with this or not as of right night I am not seeing this working for what we want..So we will either wait until the prices are somewhat normal or book something else. Not a fan of this marketing program it is much to confusing and not sure there is really a good deal here.