Driving Dec. 27 from Staten Island to JFK to catch 9pm flight

kiyoko

An alternative route which very, very often moves MUCH quicker (but may not be as clear as the Belt in ice/snow conditions). Cross the Verranzano Bridge. Get on the BQE-278 headed NE. Get off at Atlantic. Follow Atlantic Ave EAST until it joins with N. Conduit Ave. Conduit is 4 lane divided all the way to JFK and runs parallel to the Belt. You can get off Conduit on 678 (the Van Wyck) SOUTH direct into JFK.

Rental car return is marked very well for most car rental places. Just an option.

Earlier today, I read on NCL's facebook page that this past Sunday, about 50+passengers who were on an NCL sponsored bus from CT and MA on their way to board the Breakaway and because of traffic were stuck in Manhattan and the ship left without them 90 minutes before they got there. Traffic must have been beyond ridiculous that day. It's stories like this that make me think I should leave Staten Island at noon to make my 9pm flight out of JFK. I already have this obsessive compulsive problem when it comes to being early for flights or boarding a ship. My son, not so much. He always complains we're at the airport too early (he never complains if we get to the ship early). So I have to play a balancing act when traveling with him.

Thanks again to all for their time and advice here. I'll go ahead and have the car rental reserved but have the name and number of a few car service companies, and just wait and see how the weather turns out to be. OOPS! It just occurred to me I might need to reserve the car service ahead of time.

For those of you who have called a service to drive you to the airport, how far in advance did you have to reserve? Any possibility they would be sold out if I called first thing in the morning to be picked up about 4:30pm?

An alternative route which very, very often moves MUCH quicker (but may not be as clear as the Belt in ice/snow conditions). Cross the Verranzano Bridge. Get on the BQE-278 headed NE. Get off at Atlantic. Follow Atlantic Ave EAST until it joins with N. Conduit Ave. Conduit is 4 lane divided all the way to JFK and runs parallel to the Belt. You can get off Conduit on 678 (the Van Wyck) SOUTH direct into JFK.

Rental car return is marked very well for most car rental places. Just an option.

Thanks for the alternate route. I'll definitely note this down.

The problem with your plan is that if you wait to book a car service at the last minute because the weather is bad, that same bad weather is going to impact the car service's ability to take you for two reasons...the bad weather will make their operations move more slowly because the cars will be slowed by the weather and the bad weather will increase the demand for their services.

Personally, I would book a car service at least 2 days in advance.

There's an old joke that the hardest time to get a taxi in NY is when it rains...but it's not really a joke because more people are trying to take taxis when it rains.

The problem with your plan is that if you wait to book a car service at the last minute because the weather is bad, that same bad weather is going to impact the car service's ability to take you for two reasons...the bad weather will make their operations move more slowly because the cars will be slowed by the weather and the bad weather will increase the demand for their services.

Personally, I would book a car service at least 2 days in advance.

There's an old joke that the hardest time to get a taxi in NY is when it rains...but it's not really a joke because more people are trying to take taxis when it rains.

Thanks again for the tips. You've been very helpful.

So are there no tolls from EWR to JFK?

the bridges/connections between NJ and NY unlike the Staten Island toll are tolled east bound and free westbound. Your original question was about Staten Island to JFK.

btw greatam suggested way-the trucker route without traffic is about an hour from the V-N bridge. The belt parkway without traffic should be about twenty minutes. The chances are if the belt parkway is backed up the bqe will be too

the bridges/connections between NJ and NY unlike the Staten Island toll are tolled east bound and free westbound. Your original question was about Staten Island to JFK.

btw greatam suggested way-the trucker route without traffic is about an hour from the V-N bridge. The belt parkway without traffic should be about twenty minutes. The chances are if the belt parkway is backed up the bqe will be too

Thanks for your update. There are no tolls roads where I come from so not used to them at all (we get taxed like crazy in other ways). Again, really appreciate how helpful you all have been.

Earlier today, I read on NCL's facebook page that this past Sunday, about 50+passengers who were on an NCL sponsored bus from CT and MA on their way to board the Breakaway and because of traffic were stuck in Manhattan and the ship left without them 90 minutes before they got there. Traffic must have been beyond ridiculous that day.

I believe this was because of the People's Climate March. 400,000 people marched through midtown west last Sunday, so basically the entire area was closed to traffic. The tunnel seemed to be closed too, from what I noticed when we got to the end of the march. I guess NCL missed the memo about that one.

I pretty much agree with the others that recommended going with a car service. And whatever you do, leave way earlier than you think you need to. I've missed flights due to transportation enough times in this city to have become very wary, especially with late flights like that where there's not another flight likely until the next day.

I believe this was because of the People's Climate March. 400,000 people marched through midtown west last Sunday, so basically the entire area was closed to traffic. The tunnel seemed to be closed too, from what I noticed when we got to the end of the march. I guess NCL missed the memo about that one.

I pretty much agree with the others that recommended going with a car service. And whatever you do, leave way earlier than you think you need to. I've missed flights due to transportation enough times in this city to have become very wary, especially with late flights like that where there's not another flight likely until the next day.

Just to set the facts straight, NCL didn't get the memo because NCL doesn't own or operate the bus. It is operated by Academy Bus and it's their responsibility.

Sid,

Even in rush hour, my small straight trucks can make it from BQE/Atlantic to JFK in about 30 minutes. All those lights regulate traffic much better than on the parkways/interstates, IMHO. Getting to Atlantic on the BQE from the bridge could or could not be a problem and it is highly recommended to listen to the traffic reports before you make your decision.

I drove the Belt from Brooklyn to JFK when I came back from Alaska 2.5 weeks ago. It was Saturday morning about 11AM. From Brighton Beach to Canarsie, it was one big mess. The fastest I ever went in that stretch was 22MPH and most of the time, stop and go at about 5MPH. I had been at one of the warehouses in Red Hook. Am still kicking myself in the butt I didn't just take Atlantic to Conduit. I almost missed my plane back to Phoenix. If I didn't have status with AA/US to get into the priority screening line, I would have missed the plane. And I left the warehouse with over 2.5 hours until departure.

To the OP-I personally would take a car service or taxi from Staten Island and just forget the rental car. In reality, I don't think you will save much money with the rental, especially when you figure in the cost of all the hassle- returning the rental, dragging luggage into the rental car, dragging it out of the rental car, onto the shuttle bus and then out of the shuttle bus. So much nicer to just have a driver put your luggage in the car and drop you off at the terminal. There is a local taxi that comes highly recommended for Staten Island on this board.

And you also have the giant problem of finding a place to get gas close to the rental car return unless you do the "pay in advance for the full tank thing" (which will be a big rip for the distance you are driving). Lots to think about. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!

Sid,

Even in rush hour, my small straight trucks can make it from BQE/Atlantic to JFK in about 30 minutes. All those lights regulate traffic much better than on the parkways/interstates, IMHO. Getting to Atlantic on the BQE from the bridge could or could not be a problem and it is highly recommended to listen to the traffic reports before you make your decision.

I drove the Belt from Brooklyn to JFK when I came back from Alaska 2.5 weeks ago. It was Saturday morning about 11AM. From Brighton Beach to Canarsie, it was one big mess. The fastest I ever went in that stretch was 22MPH and most of the time, stop and go at about 5MPH. I had been at one of the warehouses in Red Hook. Am still kicking myself in the butt I didn't just take Atlantic to Conduit. I almost missed my plane back to Phoenix. If I didn't have status with AA/US to get into the priority screening line, I would have missed the plane. And I left the warehouse with over 2.5 hours until departure.

To the OP-I personally would take a car service or taxi from Staten Island and just forget the rental car. In reality, I don't think you will save much money with the rental, especially when you figure in the cost of all the hassle- returning the rental, dragging luggage into the rental car, dragging it out of the rental car, onto the shuttle bus and then out of the shuttle bus. So much nicer to just have a driver put your luggage in the car and drop you off at the terminal. There is a local taxi that comes highly recommended for Staten Island on this board.

And you also have the giant problem of finding a place to get gas close to the rental car return unless you do the "pay in advance for the full tank thing" (which will be a big rip for the distance you are driving). Lots to think about. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!

there is a gas station on the grounds of Jfk. its not inexpensive buts its there. there is also an "on the run exon" near some of the off the airport long term parking. the car service drivers from Staten Island know the best ways and the alternatives-off highway ones. and I almost always use atlantic avenue since I live off it...but that is still from here and not from the v-n bridge

and the speed limit on Atlantic is now 25mph

Edited by smeyer418

• 3 months later...

Just got back from our extended holiday trip and wanted to provide an update and thank everyone for all their advice. We ended up totally changing our plans and ended up staying precruise in Manhattan and taking a car service to Cape Liberty on the day of the cruise. Upon our return, we took the RCL Manhattan Tour and got dropped off at JFK. The tour was meh, but not having to drive took off a lot of pressure. We ended up being dropped off at JFK at 1pm. Our flight was originally scheduled for 9:30pm. After waiting a few hours, opted to pay extra and got on an earlier flight.

Although the weather was beautiful the day we disembarked and traffic was not bad at all, since I was so tired, it would not have been a good idea to drive. The tour ended up being the easiest option even though we ended up sleeping through most of it (like half of the rest of the tour attendees). Thanks again to everyone.

Edited by kiyoko