• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Upgrade/Book a Suite--At what cost??

lovetotraveltx

My husband and I are taking our first celebrity cruise in June to Alaska for our 30th anniversary. We have a C3 room booked. Keep hoping Suites would go down and I could upgrade but our whole cruise has gone up substantially since I booked in March.

For those of you that do Celebrity Suites regularly, do you get one no matter what cost, if so, why?

If you wait for a deal, ie, suite guarantee, when before the cruise does this actually happen.

If you have booked lower and upgraded, what's your upgrade price limit.

I know everyone's taste/wants and budget are different, just wanted celebrity regulars opinions and feedback.

Thank you!

In my experience suite guarantees are much closer to sailing, if they happen. I expect the earliest cruises to Alaska will have more available discounts as more people will want to cruise in late June through August.

I do not get suites no matter what they cost. Of course there are more benefits to suite sailings when you are going so this maybe what is going on with your sailing. Sometimes I intentionally book a sailing that will be in low season so there is more room to play with affordable upgrades. However, I find this time consuming.

If you can get on a website with all availability, it is easier to see what suites are selling out. Also, if you buy an SS and it turns out there is a lot of availability you maybe able to move up at a lower cost after final payment.

Edited by hulamoon

I get a suite regardless of the cost, although the price of the suites dictates how big a suite I get. If you haven't familiarized yourself with the new suite benefits starting next April, you might want to do so. After you have done that, ask yourself, will you spend the next 9 months wishing you were in a suite? Will the cost difference make a difference in your lives?

On the other side of this I know some very wealthy people who could easily afford to cruise in the biggest suites, and they select standard balcony cabins. They just don't see spending the money on what is essentially the same experience.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

We booked a Royal Suite for our Alaska cruise along with the connecting Concierge Cabin. There were 5 of us and this was a perfect solution for us. DH and I have booked Suites for the last 10 years. The only time we got a Suite Guarantee was 2 months before our first Southern Caribbean cruise. Now we just book them because we like the extra room - usually only a Sky Suite or a Celebrity Suite.

Someone else said it in an earlier post, if you are truly wanting a suite, I'd book it now. The prices for a cruise to Alaska will probably continue to go up - ours did last year and I booked it in 2012- and suites will go for even more of a premium.

In my experience suite guarantees are much closer to sailing, if they happen. I expect the earliest cruises to Alaska will have more available discounts as more people will want to cruise in late June through August.

I do not get suites no matter what they cost. Of course there are more benefits to suite sailings when you are going so this maybe what is going on with your sailing. Sometimes I intentionally book a sailing that will be in low season so there is more room to play with affordable upgrades. However, I find this time consuming.

If you can get on a website with all availability, it is easier to see what suites are selling out. Also, if you buy an SS and it turns out there is a lot of availability you maybe able to move up at a lower cost after final payment.

Do you have a website you like to follow availability??

Do you have a website you like to follow availability??

As we cannot name names... Suffice it to say:

Big online travel co... And not the same one hat has ties to Cruise Critic or it's sister website TripAdvisor

The company in question you don't have to join, can just do a cruise booking search, and all available cabins in a category "wink" when they are available

Cheers!

Thank you everyone! Your thoughts helped me a lot!

Right now it would be $2,000 to upgrade which I feel I can spend better somewhere else. And, although I always wanted to try a suite, I could happily live with the room I booked.

So, I guess I'll just hope for some open suites closer to sail date at guarantee or good sale.

Also, don't want to lose my obc or free classic package :)

Another thing to consider is not just space but location.

Right now we could get a free upgrade to a Concierge Suite, but its the exact size room as our Veranda which has a bigger balcony and is on the hump near the centrum.

What would I get with my free upgrade? Not much...don't really care about a Hansgroh messaging shower spigot. Nor the bottle cheap bubbly. Nope, think I'd rather retain the great location we now have with the oversize balcony. Now if they were to offer AQ class for no upgrade fee, that I may consider, although again, same size room. But for Blu I would probably switch. Unfortunately that is still $600 more...not worth it to us.

I guess its all relative. Different strokes for different folks!:)

While we like suites under the right circumstances, Alaska is not the right circumstance. It is a short, port intensive cruise and you are seldom in your cabin. Dinner on your balcony in a suite cannot be beat but Alaska cools down quickly, especially while on the water. There are 2 sea days on the Millennium Alaska cruise and one of them is Hubbard Glacier where the best views are from the upper decks. Excursions are also expensive in Alaska. We did a cruise tour and I watched the price of suites on our Alaska cruise and could not justify the price. We stayed with and were happy with out Aqua Class cabin. Looking forward to suites on our next 2 cruises.

Mary Lou

.....On the other side of this I know some very wealthy people who could easily afford to cruise in the biggest suites, and they select standard balcony cabins. They just don't see spending the money on what is essentially the same experience.
Know what you mean, and there are probably a number of others who feel the same way, as one very wealthy guy phrased it when asked why he wasn't in a suite:

I only book a suite if I want the extra space to host a big party.

Otherwise, I can't see any reason to pay extra money for a larger cabin so I can look around at all that empty, unused space.

After all, I can only be sitting or standing in one spot at any time. :D

He is the do-it-yourself type who doesn't care about having a butler and the current suite perks are meaningless to him.

Maybe he will feel differently next year after they add the new suite amenities, although he already eats in the specialty restaurants whenever he wants and eats and drinks whatever he likes.

At what cost ?

Lol when I win the Lotto... Or a free cruise. :D

If I ever won a free cruise, I would see upgrading to a Suite as something do-able to make it really special.

Until then we could afford a Suite if we wanted, but we would rather use our money to travel more (we cruise 1x a year, and also take several road trips too, this way we see different aspects of the country / world)

Cheers!

While we like suites under the right circumstances, Alaska is not the right circumstance. It is a short, port intensive cruise and you are seldom in your cabin. Dinner on your balcony in a suite cannot be beat but Alaska cools down quickly, especially while on the water. There are 2 sea days on the Millennium Alaska cruise and one of them is Hubbard Glacier where the best views are from the upper decks. Excursions are also expensive in Alaska. We did a cruise tour and I watched the price of suites on our Alaska cruise and could not justify the price. We stayed with and were happy with out Aqua Class cabin. Looking forward to suites on our next 2 cruises.

Mary Lou

I was going to say something similar.m

We book suites in the Caribbean...been there done that so we spend a lot more time in the cabin and on the balcony. We have booked ss and scion past. First royal suite is in December!

In Alaska we wanted a covered balcony that was deep so we booked a 1A cabin on the hump...cabin 9292 on solstice. This cabin was perfect...location and balcony size.

In Europe a port intensive cruise we booked cabin 2106. I think...hump balcony and on pool deck so I cam easily hop out of my cabin to see the sail in.

Happy sailing.

Can't imagine doing anything "no matter what the cost" whether it be cruising or grocery shopping. With cruises, itinerary is the first determining factor followed quickly by price. Would do 2 (or 3 or more) cruises in a balcony in a heartbeat rather than 1 in a suite (and we've done both Sky and Royal Suites but at a reasonable price). Didn't really see the benefit of the extra space, especially when we book port intensive cruises (12 out of 13 days, 10 out of 12, e.g.) Not going to pay big bucks for square footage when we are out exploring somewhere interesting.

My husband and I are taking our first celebrity cruise in June to Alaska for our 30th anniversary. We have a C3 room booked. Keep hoping Suites would go down and I could upgrade but our whole cruise has gone up substantially since I booked in March.

For those of you that do Celebrity Suites regularly, do you get one no matter what cost, if so, why?

If you wait for a deal, ie, suite guarantee, when before the cruise does this actually happen.

If you have booked lower and upgraded, what's your upgrade price limit.

I know everyone's taste/wants and budget are different, just wanted celebrity regulars opinions and feedback.

Thank you!

Our first cruise was in a Concierge Class on a M-class ship. We loved the cruise but found it really difficult to cope with the space issues of the stateroom [which on M-class ships is slightly larger than a basic stateroom]. For our next cruise [booked on the day we arrived home from the first], we booked a Sky Suite but, by the time we cruised, we had upgrade to a Celebrity Suite and loved it!

However, as you have discovered, that is a more expensive way of doing it. A few cruises later, we booked a Celebrity Suite but, because of a price drop, upgraded to a Royal Suite nearer to when we cruise. Yet again, despite the price drop, it was still more expensive than if we have booked the RS at the start.

For our 40th anniversary, we booked a Penthouse Suite believing it that it would be the only time that we would ever do that. No way! After doing that, we "just had to" upgrade the other cruise we had at the time to a PH as soon as one became available. Again, it would have been much less expensive to have booked the PH from the start! We now have three future cruises in a PH booked.

There are two lessons from this:

1 Decide at the start which category of room you want. It is likely to be much more expensive to upgrade later.

2 Never upgrade once "just for a special occasion". It will always be difficult to down grade in the future.

[PS Unlike the suggestion of one poster, we are NOT "very rich". We are not even moderately wealthy. Cruising in suites is just our little "vice". We do not do many of the things others do regularly, take for granted and spend a great deal of money on - play golf, eat in top restaurant, have smartphones, have large-screen HD televisions, drive new cars, ... We also rarely spend money upgrading on our pre- and post-cruise flights unlike many people who would not consider flying "coach". Flights are only for a few hours. You are on your cruise for much longer.]

Edited by Project_gal