• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Embarkation Time

skybluewaters

My cruise ticket for 4327, leaving Quebec City, states that embarkation time is 1:00. The Serenity will be staying in Quebec City that night. I think it has been said here that embarkation time is noon, even if the ticket states 1:00. Could one of the helpful and knowledgeable CC members straighten me out regarding this? My main concern is getting on board in time for a Cobb salad and champagne, of course. :D

Crystal does have some cruises that have an embarkation time of 1PM. I had one this June and have another 1PM embarkation next year.

You can certainly get to the port earlier than 1 and it's possible the embarkation will start earlier but 1PM is the stated time on your ticket. Yes, in the past, several years ago, most of the cruise tickets had an embarkation time of 3PM and in many cases embarkation actually began at noon time. This has changed and typically whatever time is on your ticket is the embarkation time.

Nancy

My cruise ticket for 4327, leaving Quebec City, states that embarkation time is 1:00. The Serenity will be staying in Quebec City that night. I think it has been said here that embarkation time is noon, even if the ticket states 1:00. Could one of the helpful and knowledgeable CC members straighten me out regarding this? My main concern is getting on board in time for a Cobb salad and champagne, of course. :D

I'm on 4324 also from Quebec City. I also have a 1:00pm embarkation and we will depart at 6:00pm. I'll be sure to not drink all the champagne so there will be some for you! I could not make that same promise in regards to the Ben and Jerry's. Getting hungry thinking of my Cherry Garcia as an afternoon snack.

I had the Cobb Salad last month right after embarkation. Truthfully, the Habit has a better Cobb. Way too much chicken and not enough bacon & hard-boiled egg and the dressing was dull (not spicy enough). I would not recommend it. Afterwards, I went to the Atrium, ordered a creme de menthe frappe and went to sleep for an hour. The guy sitting across from me was also sleeping ;)

I had the Cobb Salad last month right after embarkation. Truthfully, the Habit has a better Cobb. Way too much chicken and not enough bacon & hard-boiled egg and the dressing was dull (not spicy enough). I would not recommend it. Afterwards, I went to the Atrium, ordered a creme de menthe frappe and went to sleep for an hour. The guy sitting across from me was also sleeping ;)

We tried this tradition once years ago and also can remember being underwhelmed with the salad...Was thinking of giving it another chance but now, I guess not. Champagne, however is a prerequisite for us on embarkation!:) Looking forward to experiencing the new Tastes and new MDR menu items for the first time!

Thanks for the responses!

So, if boarding is actually at 1:00, will the MDR be open at that time, and when will lunch stop being served there?

If this was me I would do two things; one of which I mentioned yesterday.

Have your TA contact Crystal to verify whether boarding is noon or 1:00 PM. If noon then dining room open at noon. If Crystal responds by saying 1:00 PM then have your TA ask will the Crystal Dining Room be open later that day. The reasons I say all this is sometimes history doesn't mean it will be precisely that way for your cruise. Also, in the past Symphony did these voyages and they would board in Montreal and not Quebec but Serenity cannot fit under the bridge in Montreal thus Quebec City is being used for turn around day.

Keith

Aha, just as I suspected. I contacted Crystal Guest Relations (per the link Keith provided) and they told me that even though the ticket indicates an embarkation time of 1:00, boarding actually begins at noon. Most importantly, the MDR will be open from noon until 1:30.

I wonder why they persist in listing an incorrectly late embarkation time…are they afraid of running out of hard-boiled eggs, bacon, chicken and avocado?...just kidding.

Aha, just as I suspected. I contacted Crystal Guest Relations (per the link Keith provided) and they told me that even though the ticket indicates an embarkation time of 1:00, boarding actually begins at noon. Most importantly, the MDR will be open from noon until 1:30.

I wonder why they persist in listing an incorrectly late embarkation time…are they afraid of running out of hard-boiled eggs, bacon, chicken and avocado?...just kidding.

Enjoy the Cobb Salad! It is a wonderful tradition!!

I suspect Crystal is simply giving themselves a bit of buffer time on turn around day.......if your documents state "Noon" and for some reason the ship is not ready to board until 1:00, passengers would get antsy. We now choose to arrive early for embarkation, knowing we can sit and read, etc....I think we arrived at 11:00 in Southampton for our cruise on the Serenity this spring, and ended up boarding about 12:30. We met some wonderful folks we saw throughout the cruise and are still in contact with. AND, we enjoyed a wonderful champagne lunch in the MDR! If for some reason the MDR is not available for lunch on embarkation day, I can say champagne also goes well with the Trident Grill veggie burger :).

I am glad this worked out. I had thought most likely it would be noon. Once in awhile it is later such as at 1:00 PM or even later than that usually due to inspections or some other requirement. Usually, not always, when that occurs the final documents also included another form that notes that embarkation will be at that later time. Always best to have the TA double check with Crystal just so you know.

Caryn has it right. Often the later time is shown in terms of expectations should there be delays. Other cruise lines do this too. Not all but some of them.

In the old days Crystal used to have a 3:00 PM boarding time so we are grateful for the earlier time.

Enjoy your lunch in the Crystal Dining Room. Lots of excellent choices.

We do have the Cobb Salad. For us it is also our tradition but like anything else some enjoy it and for some it is not their favorite. But lots of other items. In fact, they have steak on embarkation day.

Keith

Where on the ship is the Atrium? Different ship? :)

Ah. What we call Crystal Cove :)

Technically the Atrium encompasses two "neighborhoods" -- the Crystal Plaza (which includes the Cove, reception, excursions, concierge, hostess and sales) and the Avenue of the Stars (which includes the bistro, the shops and the library).

Crystal doesn't refer to the whole area as much as they used to, but the concept is that the open part upstairs is the Avenue of the Stars, the open part downstairs is the Crystal Plaza, all of the specific areas have proper names, and the entire complex is the atrium.

I should have had the Steak. ;)

That's my Cobb salad. :D. The filet has been my tradition since Crystal re-started the embarkation lunches in 2005. Yum!

Vince

Keith, whenever I look at your food pics I'm always envious of both your natural taste for healthy foods and your willpower with the indulgences you do enjoy. :) The less healthy something is lately, the more I love it. :o AI was really bad for me in that regard too. Lol. At least I do up my exercise a lot onboard to help compensate for the intake.

Vince

• 3 weeks later...
Technically the Atrium encompasses two "neighborhoods" - the Crystal Plaza (which includes the Cove, reception, excursions, concierge, hostess and sales) and the Avenue of the Stars (which includes the bistro, the shops and the library). Crystal doesn't refer to the whole area as much as they used to, but the concept is that the open part upstairs is the Avenue of the Stars, the open part downstairs is the Crystal Plaza, all of the specific areas have proper names, and the entire complex is the atrium.

Yeah, that's what I said, The Atrium - but not my CABIN. :rolleyes:

That's my Cobb salad. The filet has been my tradition since Crystal re-started the embarkation lunches in 2005. Yum! Vince

Smart Man, that Vince! ;)

Smart Man, that Vince! ;)

I was just explaining the naming convention of the different parts of the atrium to others, since people seemed to be correcting you on your proper use of the term. :)

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Our first cruise on Crystal is coming up soon. For those of you who have experience I have a question. Our embarkation time in NYC is listed as 1pm. Is it reasonable for me to expect to make a Broadway matinee at 2pm? If embarkation were to actually start at noon I think it would be fine. If it starts at 1pm then it really doesn't seem feasible.

My husband isn't going to the matinee, just me. Worse comes to worse - he could check in at the normal time and I could check in after the play I guess. I'd be interested in opinions from those in the know.

Thank you.