Lane swimming in the Solarium - Solstice

Beanb41

The pools are not very long -- you will be hard pressed to swim any kind of decent lap in them -- but you should be able to be in the Solarium pool before breakfast if you want to try

Totally agree - way too small for actual swimming.

Edited by Jane2357

We will be on the Solstice in the New Year. As a regular lane swimmer in the mornings normally before breakfast, could someone please advise what time we can get access to the pool

As stated, the pool is not long enough for lap swimming, but you may be able to simulate it with a swim tether, if you can find a place to attach it.

For example, see

Swim-in-Place Aquacise Pool Tether

Maybe someone who is currently on the Solstice will be willing to look at the pool for you and report back whether there is a suitable place to attach such a tether and if you would be permitted to do so.

The pool is lovely but not big enough for lap swimming. I found it the height of ignorance last year on Solstice when two people continued to pound back and forth doing laps with no consideration of others were just enjoying a quiet swimming experience. Cruise ship pools are hardly in the Olympic pool class

The pool is lovely but not big enough for lap swimming. I found it the height of ignorance last year on Solstice when two people continued to pound back and forth doing laps with no consideration of others were just enjoying a quiet swimming experience. Cruise ship pools are hardly in the Olympic pool class

Height of ingnorance ?????

Really??!!!

While not long enough to be your primary exercise, it is certainly within the expectations of a swimming pool that someone would want to swim a little.

My experience has been that if there are just a few people standing around chatting in a pool, they will generally move to one side to allow someone who wants to swim a little do so. If there are a lot of people in the pool it just doesn't make sense to try to swim.

And the best chances of swimming a little is early in the morning or around dinner time.

On the Eclipse the solarium pool opened at 7 am. However, I was able to push that a little and no one said anything about that. Yes, it's really too small to do much in the way of lap swimming but something is better than nothing. Almost every day I was able to swim for about 30 minutes. When additional people got in the pool I got out.

Where there's a will there's a way.

My OH does a 40 minute swim in the solarium pool daily. Its usually the quietest and no kids allowed. Whilst there are a lot of turns its about the best pool on any ship to do this. Whats annoying is when someone gets in a starts swimming across the width interupting his lengths when there is still plenty of room.

He got very annoyed last year in July on the Eclipse when a rather large lady was swimming on her back and floting around.........after about 15 mins as he swam around to avoid her he heard a very, very faint 'help me!' She couldnt turn herself over and he gently guided her to the steps and helped her right herself and exit. We saw her everywhere from that point and exchanged smiles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it would be frustrating to try to swim laps in the Solarium pool because you really can't build up too much speed. I would never try it when others are in the pool. Although some may consider it rude to just float around the pool, it is their vacation, too.

All of that said, the pool is often deserted dinner time, or early evening.

I'm swimming daily in the Olympic heated pool in my neighbourhood, and I managed to do quite good laps on the Equinox, every morning around 7 before b'fast. There were days when another person joined me, and I asked them to "split" the pool, I on the left/right side and they on another. 2 days I had a 3rd person joining us, who went in the "middle", but I was always the one who swam 40 min. If it's your daily routine, it could be done :)

Totally agree - way too small for actual swimming.

It's also really shallow! I know that I swim better when my feet don't touch bottom. Not too hard, since I'm only a little over five feet tall. ;)

But, for those who are used to swimming, as part of their exercise routine -- I say, go for it. Just pick a time when the pool is empty, and show consideration to any others who might join you. Few things are more annoying than having someone do their Michael Phelps imitation in a crowded pool. :rolleyes:

Just pick a time when the pool is empty, and show consideration to any others who might join you. Few things are more annoying than having someone do their Michael Phelps imitation in a crowded pool. :rolleyes:

And don't forget that some of the other 'swimmers' may not be that confident in the water and worried about having someone possibly swimming in to them.:)

Hi everyone,

DH and I are on the Century in October, and the Solstice in February. I have nerve damage in my foot and leg from an illness over 5 years ago. As I can't walk too far, swimming is my major exercise. (not serious swimming - more like dog paddle!) :rolleyes:

Can anyone advise me if there are ramps or any other methods of entering the pools on both/either ships instead of the narrow, normal pool steps? It's only that I can't gain purchase on the step and I slip off - done that more than once - hurties and much red face!! :eek:

Thanks so much,

Hi everyone,

DH and I are on the Century in October, and the Solstice in February. I have nerve damage in my foot and leg from an illness over 5 years ago. As I can't walk too far, swimming is my major exercise. (not serious swimming - more like dog paddle!) :rolleyes:

Can anyone advise me if there are ramps or any other methods of entering the pools on both/either ships instead of the narrow, normal pool steps? It's only that I can't gain purchase on the step and I slip off - done that more than once - hurties and much red face!! :eek:

Thanks so much,

The Solstice has a lift.

I'll see if I can find a photo for you

--- --- ---

Here ya go = https://thecruiseaddict.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/solstice17.jpg?w=750

Pictured at the Solarium Pool (where I saw it too). Solarium pool is an Adults (16+) Area, so away from the kids & crowds

Ask a Pool Steward for assistance... There are usually some about (or use the House Phone and Guest Relations will send someone)

Enjoy your cruise

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add part 2 & link

Ugh...

I went looking for a photo of The Solstice's Solarium Pool with the lift in it (as I did not have one in my own collection).

It looks like the photo I posted may not even be The Solstice but rather another S-Class ship (unless Celebrity changed the Solstice Lounger pads from blue to red)

At any rate... The lift is a movable unit. When I saw it, it was set up over at the Hot Tubs in the Solarium.

I know there are some CC Members on this board have mobility issues, perhaps they will comment on their experiences (or have an actual photo from The Solstice)

We have a dear friend who uses a walker... He went on the Eclipse to the Med a few years back and he told me that being able to use the facilities in the Solarium was just one thing that really made the cruise wonderful for him. He loves to travel. Came home with great things to say about Celebrity both their facilities (he took a Handicap Room) and the crew. Said the crew was well trained and very kind.

Hope this helps (some)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

While not long enough to be your primary exercise, it is certainly within the expectations of a swimming pool that someone would want to swim a little.

I have never heard these pools called "swimming pools" by the cruise lines. I suspect that they were not designed for swimming, but for cooling off or relaxing. Even their brochures don't mention swimming, but instead use the phrase "take a dip" instead. To think of these pools as "swimming" pools is a bit of a stretch.

The daily program from our last couple cruise on an S class ship listed the pools as opening at 7:00AM or 7:30AM. When the pools are closed they are covered with a net. If the net is removed they are open. Not sure how tight they stuck to the published hours. You'll want to check the daily program on board and possibly swing by the Solarium early in the morning to double check as well.

As you can see from the messages above, doing laps in the pool may or may not work. But I don't see why giving it a try would be an issue.

Here is a link to a photo of the Solarium pool for the Equinox which is the same size and layout as the Solstice: http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=104&pid=3223#top_display_media

04_pool1_1155.JPG

Edited by Lsimon

One asks a simple question and gets lambasted by naysayers. I am aware the pool is not large but if one wants to undertake lap swimming one has to use the solarium pool unless the same naysayers can provide an alternative. I doubt if there would be many recreational swimmers at 7.30 in the morning but if there are so be it one takes ones chances just as one would do in any pool. Swimmers are very considerate people in the main by the way. To those who provided positive answers thanx

...Can anyone advise me if there are ramps or any other methods of entering the pools on both/either ships instead of the narrow, normal pool steps? It's only that I can't gain purchase on the step and I slip off - done that more than once - hurties and much red face!! :eek:

Thanks so much,

Most of the Solarium pools have lifts designed for disabled passengers to be lifted into the pool. I've not been on Solstice and don't see on in the photos of the pool but there might be one not visiable.

Here is a photo of the lift on the Silhouette so you'll know what I'm talking about: http://susanmcdanielcruisenews.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dsc00213.jpg

There is also a photo of such a lift for one of the larger hot tubs in the solarium on the Solstice: http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=104&pid=3237#top_display_media

Unless someone else knows for certain you might have to wait until you're on board to see if there is one for the Solstice pool as well.

The Century has no solarium but they do have a lift by one of the outdoor pools as shown in this photo: http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag5/shrimp560/Celebrity%20Century/DSC02696_zpsfefa87a3.jpg

One asks a simple question and gets lambasted by naysayers. I am aware the pool is not large but if one wants to undertake lap swimming one has to use the solarium pool unless the same naysayers can provide an alternative. I doubt if there would be many recreational swimmers at 7.30 in the morning but if there are so be it one takes ones chances just as one would do in any pool. Swimmers are very considerate people in the main by the way. To those who provided positive answers thanx

I'll provide you with an alternative. Give it a miss or you might just find that you end up copping a lot of flack from people that actually want to use the pool for what it is intended for.

I'll provide you with an alternative. Give it a miss or you might just find that you end up copping a lot of flack from people that actually want to use the pool for what it is intended for.

Hardly pleasant. What is a pool intended for, lane swimming or ambling about? Neither, both. Respect for others is what is needed. If someone gave my OH flack for swimming lengths then expect to receive what they sow. Is there a sign we have mised that says no lane swimming??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk