Lane swimming in the Solarium - Solstice

Beanb41

We will be on the Solstice in the New Year. As a regular lane swimmer in the mornings normally before breakfast, could someone please advise what time we can get access to the pool

I believe the pools open by 7:30 AM and per previous posters, lap swimming will probably not work. The pools are small and if occupied, it will be difficult to swim without bumping into people who are in the pools.

The pools are also open late, so maybe dinner time they may not be occupied.

Enjoy your cruise

We will be on the Solstice in the New Year. As a regular lane swimmer in the mornings normally before breakfast, could someone please advise what time we can get access to the pool

crusie ship pools are NOT conducive to swimming, let alone lane swimming.

most pools are serviced overnight and are netted until morning..possibly as late at 8 or 9 am. conversely they tend to be open until midnight

Hardly pleasant. What is a pool intended for, lane swimming or ambling about? Neither, both. Respect for others is what is needed. If someone gave my OH flack for swimming lengths then expect to receive what they sow. Is there a sign we have mised that says no lane swimming??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cruise line pools are designed for casual soaking/cooling off. not swimming of any sort, not major exercise.

not even the family deck pools are designed to have a bunch of swimming.

Hardly pleasant. What is a pool intended for, lane swimming or ambling about? Neither, both. Respect for others is what is needed. If someone gave my OH flack for swimming lengths then expect to receive what they sow. Is there a sign we have mised that says no lane swimming??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

common sense dictates if there are NO LANE MARKERS AT ALL, then lane swimming is not advisable

DH swims daily. he found it far too problematic to even think about attempting it , even with pools empty

I'd like to "repeat" myself: at 7AM sharp I was at the Solarium and had the pool to myself (5 days out of 7) until 45 min later. I swam "diagonally" to "prolong" the "lap".

2 days a man appeared after a couple of min and I stopped and asked him if he doesn't mind swimming only on one side. He was thrilled with the "arrangement", but got out way before me. One day, when both were swimming, another lady appeared and took the middle "lane" and kept to it. She also swam only 10-15 min.

3 people doing "laps" at the same time was the max, and at this early hour it happened only once.

Of course I wouldn't dream of doing "laps" when other people wanted to use to pool to relax and chat.

The first day I've tried the openning hour (7AM) and it worked for me.:)

Hi everyone,

DH and I are on the Century in October, and the Solstice in February. I have nerve damage in my foot and leg from an illness over 5 years ago. As I can't walk too far, swimming is my major exercise. (not serious swimming - more like dog paddle!) :rolleyes:

Can anyone advise me if there are ramps or any other methods of entering the pools on both/either ships instead of the narrow, normal pool steps? It's only that I can't gain purchase on the step and I slip off - done that more than once - hurties and much red face!! :eek:

Thanks so much,

Most of the Solarium pools have lifts designed for disabled passengers to be lifted into the pool. I've not been on Solstice and don't see on in the photos of the pool but there might be one not visiable.

Here is a photo of the lift on the Silhouette so you'll know what I'm talking about: http://susanmcdanielcruisenews.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dsc00213.jpg

There is also a photo of such a lift for one of the larger hot tubs in the solarium on the Solstice: http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=104&pid=3237#top_display_media

Unless someone else knows for certain you might have to wait until you're on board to see if there is one for the Solstice pool as well.

The Century has no solarium but they do have a lift by one of the outdoor pools as shown in this photo: http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag5/shrimp560/Celebrity%20Century/DSC02696_zpsfefa87a3.jpg

Hi RATACAKE,

Wanted to let you know I have scoured countless pics of The Solstice Solarium Pool in hopes of finding you a good pic of the lift that I saw

Unfortunately the lift proves quite allusive... Altho I do have some proof for you in a rather limited photographic way

LSIMON's second link (actually is from The Equinox, not The Solstice) but it is a great photo of what this piece of equipment looks like.

The one on The Solstice is similar in design

I have found the following 2 Photos, which most definitely come from The Solstce as they were from Photo Travel Blogs.

Sadly neither photo is ideal, nor shows a complete pic of the lift, so you really have to look for familiar bits & pieces (most notably the scissor part of the lift that has the co. Logo on it)

Photo # 1

This photo is from The Solstice Solarium... The lift is sort of visible near the left side of the Hot Tub (which is where I recall seeing it)

http://0.tqn.com/y/cruises/1/S/d/Z/4/Solarium_08.JPG

From Website = http://cruises.about.com/od/celebritysolstice/ig/Celebrity-Solstice-Outdoors/

Photo # 2

Again not the best photo... Just part of the lift visible (two scissor type arms that support the chair) behind the gentleman in the photo and near the couple in the Hot Tub

Photo = http://cruisenotebook.com/Notebook/Solstice_Summary_files/Solstice_0213.jpg

From Website = http://cruisenotebook.com/Notebook/Solstice_Summary.html

--- --- ---

Now whether these units are stationary or moveable, I cannot say for sure. I have a feeling tho that they were transportable.

If you want more info, I suggest that perhaps you contact Celebrity as I believe they have a Special Needs Group.

Hope this helps (somewhat),

And that you have a wonderful Cruise Vacation

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I was told that the indoor ("Solarium") pool on the S class was smaller than the one on the M class. But the pictures on this thread lead me to believe that is not true.

Is it the same kind of "therapeutic" pool? - very warm, M class had the bubbles when you laid on the metal bars, had the 4 pounding downspouts in each corner?

The S class pictures on this thread make it look like a garden variety indoor pool.

I was told that the indoor ("Solarium") pool on the S class was smaller than the one on the M class. But the pictures on this thread lead me to believe that is not true.

Is it the same kind of "therapeutic" pool? - very warm, M class had the bubbles when you laid on the metal bars, had the 4 pounding downspouts in each corner?

The S class pictures on this thread make it look like a garden variety indoor pool.

No S class pool is not the same as M class....although nice it is not the salty hot pool we enjoyed on Summit

Having sailed both classes now, I would say the S-Class Pool is bigger, but it Is also a different configuration (rectangle) vs having the variations in layout that go along with the T-Pools on the M-Class Ships

Hard to explain... Look at photos. ;)

And ya, although the Solarium Pool on S-Class Ships are nice... They are not T-Pools

T-Pools are amazing for relaxing and therapeutic elements... Very Spa like, goes nicely in that the Spa area is right next door (and cause it isn't a run of the mill pool, rare to see any kids around it... So it keeps easily to the 16+ requirement which also makes for a very relaxing getaway space / venue )

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There was a young woman, with some obvious physical/mental disabilities (not that it matters :) ) who spent hours doing lane swimming in the indoor pool on the Silhouette last year. She stuck to a very specific straight lane pattern & I can't see how it would have disrupted anyone's enjoyment of the Solarium or pool, & I imagine it had some therapeutic benefit for her.

So my advice to the OP, go ahead & do your exercise. :)

Enjoy :)

Hi everyone,

Can't tell you how I felt when I read all your thoughtful replies about gaining entrance/egress from the pools on the Century and the Solstice.

Some, like Mrs Sloop and LSIMON, went the extra mile and directed me to photos of the devices used, and must have spent such a long time in researching them. :)

Cruise Critic members provide such great assistance to others in these threads, by passing on this information about cruising and the ships we love.

Thanks again to everyone who provided such great information. :D:D

Happy cruising,

Lurv,

ratacake

Hi Cruisejunky,

Which pool has the great steps? - sorry, I put the wrong heading in - I meant Century and Solstice - we're going on both (Yippee!!!!):D:D:D

Sorry again, get carried away with excitement :)

Thanks,

Lurv,

ratacake

Hi Cruisejunky,

Which pool has the great steps? - sorry, I put the wrong heading in - I meant Century and Solstice - we're going on both (Yippee!!!!):D:D:D

Sorry again, get carried away with excitement :)

Not CruiseJunky here, but the indoor pool on the Solstice has nice wide steps going into the water with a handrail to hold for stability.

It provides easy pool access for people who are able to walk somewhat but have balance problems or lack upper body strength; so much easier to use for getting in and out of the water than a pool ladder.

As for the Century, sorry but its indoor pool was removed long ago.

Edited by fleckle

The pool is lovely but not big enough for lap swimming. I found it the height of ignorance last year on Solstice when two people continued to pound back and forth doing laps with no consideration of others were just enjoying a quiet swimming experience. Cruise ship pools are hardly in the Olympic pool class

I agree!

Hi everyone,

DH and I are on the Century in October, and the Solstice in February. I have nerve damage in my foot and leg from an illness over 5 years ago. As I can't walk too far, swimming is my major exercise. (not serious swimming - more like dog paddle!) :rolleyes:

Can anyone advise me if there are ramps or any other methods of entering the pools on both/either ships instead of the narrow, normal pool steps? It's only that I can't gain purchase on the step and I slip off - done that more than once - hurties and much red face!! :eek:

Thanks so much,

There is a chair to lower a person into the pool.

As stated, the pool is not long enough for lap swimming, but you may be able to simulate it with a swim tether, if you can find a place to attach it.

For example, see

Swim-in-Place Aquacise Pool Tether

Maybe someone who is currently on the Solstice will be willing to look at the pool for you and report back whether there is a suitable place to attach such a tether and if you would be permitted to do so.

Great idea about the tether.

I'd like to "repeat" myself: at 7AM sharp I was at the Solarium and had the pool to myself (5 days out of 7) until 45 min later. I swam "diagonally" to "prolong" the "lap".

2 days a man appeared after a couple of min and I stopped and asked him if he doesn't mind swimming only on one side. He was thrilled with the "arrangement", but got out way before me. One day, when both were swimming, another lady appeared and took the middle "lane" and kept to it. She also swam only 10-15 min.

3 people doing "laps" at the same time was the max, and at this early hour it happened only once.

Of course I wouldn't dream of doing "laps" when other people wanted to use to pool to relax and chat.

The first day I've tried the openning hour (7AM) and it worked for me.:)

Thank you very much. That was the information I was looking for.

As already noted it depends on time of day.....early or late is the key....maybe also port days...

A tether could be a hazard..

best bet is to go when it is empty and do one's best...Indoor pools are social pools for dipping and floating and can become crowded. Once breakfast hour ends folks arrive to stake out their lounges and take a dip.

I manage a few slow laps of sidestroke or breast stroke sometimes, and often can't even get enough space for light water aerobic exercise...

Edited by hcat

I thought a tether had to be used when there was a current in the pool. If it's just still water, won't 2 strokes bring them to the edge?
There is no current involved. You are not swimming to the edge of the pool with a tether, only swimming in one place as the tether holds you back from advancing.

So you can swim as hard and as fast as you wish in your own little area without disturbing anyone else.

Swim tethers are used by competitive swimmers to get their swim workout in hotel pools, or any kind of crowded public pool that is open to the general public, or in small private pools.

The concept is similar to using a treadmill, where you can walk for miles at whatever speed you like while staying in the same place.

Right...like a treadmill...which is moving under your feet while you walk/run. That's why I thought there had to be a current in the pool. So is the tether stiff (like a bar or pole?). I guess when I heard the word "tether" I thought of a leash, which is flexible.

I've swum in small spa pools that did have a current going for that reason (too small to actually go anywhere).

He got very annoyed last year in July on the Eclipse when a rather large lady was swimming on her back and floting around.........after about 15 mins as he swam around to avoid her he heard a very, very faint 'help me!' She couldnt turn herself over and he gently guided her to the steps and helped her right herself and exit./quote]

I say your OH got a value-added free excursion. Some people pay big money at Sea World for that type of experience!:eek: