Just off the Island 9/24 3-Day Coastal Cruise

partybarbie

DH and I normally like the longer cruises, but this 3-Day Coastal Cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco was a perfect mini-vacation.

We parked our car at the Oakland Airport, and took a flight to Seattle, allowing us to spend a couple of days with my brother and sister-in-law in Tacoma, before the cruise. We then used Quick Shuttle to get to Vancouver.

Embarkation was a breeze, and we were on the ship by 12:15 pm, then off to the dining room to enjoy our lunch. Upon returning to the cabin, our luggage had already arrived, and a letter from the Captain's Circle Hostess, letting me know that I was the second "Most Traveled Passenger". The first MTP had 1335 days, with 106 cruises, compared to to my 46 cruises and 460 days, lol. We were given "dinner for two" in our choice to the two specialty restaurants (we chose the Bayou Cafe), a bottle of Korbel, and a glass paperweight with a design of the Golden Gate Bridge etched into it. Since there isn't a "Repeat Passenger Party", my award was presented to me during our dinner in the Bayou. Also, all eligible past-passengers, received a drink coupon, good for a free drink. It was a nice little perk.

Even though this was a short cruise, the entertainment was top notch. We had two different comedians, and two production shows. It was our second time to see "On the Bayou" and it was just as good as the first time we saw it. There were lots of games and contests, bingo, art auctions, etc., just like on the longer cruises.

Even though you won't get lobster in the dining room, the menus had some very nice choices. Some stand-outs were the "surf and turf", a filet mignon with prawns, french onion soup, escargots, and cioppino. On our sea day, a pub lunch was served in the Bayou Cafe.

There was no "formal night" on this cruise, but some passengers took "smart casual" to a whole new level.:rolleyes: It didn't detract from our enjoyment of the cruise, but in case others were wondering what to wear, it probably doesn't matter.;)

Disembarkation at the new Pier 27 was fast and easy. We were able to walk to BART, take the train to the Coliseum Station, and then an express bus to our car at the Oakland airport.

Anyway, we had a great time! Thanks for reading and if anyone has any questions, I will try and answer them.:D

What was the weather like? I am doing a similar cruise Van-LA on Oct 17 and it will be chilly in Van, but wondering if it will be suntan weather at any point of the cruise?

Unfortunately, our weather wasn't all that great. It was raining in Vancouver, but it did clear up in the afternoon. In Victoria, it rained a little in the morning, but by the afternoon it was probably in around 70, a few people were out by the pool. Our sea day was overcast and the ship was a little rocky, but when we got to San Francisco the weather was beautiful and it was back to shorts. We have rain today, but we are headed back to the high 80's, low 90's next week. Hopefully you will have great weather.:)

Sounds as if you had a great time, though short. Did they have salmon on the menu for the embarkation lunch in the main dining room?

Unfortunately, they did not offer the salmon. That's my favorite too. They did have a very nice cod with a lemon butter sauce, leeks, and and extra fluffy mashed potatoes. It was very tasty. Also, no souffle. :( I had the chocolate bread and butter pudding. The presentation was interesting. It was molded like a flan pudding, not like the one that's served at the pub lunch. It tasted okay.

WIll be on the ship Oct 23 for a 4 nighter which means no formal nights as well.

How is the ship as I have never tried this class of ship yet.

What is the Bayou show ?

see ya

Eric

WIll be on the ship Oct 23 for a 4 nighter which means no formal nights as well.

How is the ship as I have never tried this class of ship yet.

What is the Bayou show ?

see ya

Eric

Most passengers really love this class of ship, myself included.:) She only holds around 2,000 passengers. There are two dining rooms, one anytime and one traditional. The specialty restaurants are the "Bayou Cafe" and "Sabatini's". There's also a "Crab Shack", held in a roped-off section of the the buffet, in the Horizon Court. There's no nightclub, but the Explorer's lounge features live music and the DJ starts around 11:00 pm. Just like the big ships there's the outdoor movie screen "MUTS", and an indoor swimming pool too.

"On the Bayou" is a special production show that's only held on the Island and Coral Princess. It features a New Orleans theme with costumes, music, etc. It's one of the best productions shows that Princess offers. It's even more fun if you order a mint julep. ;)

Thank you for your review. It's nice to hear positive reviews of the shorter cruises.

My only complaint is that it's over way too quick! I had such a good time though, that my aunt and I are already talking about doing a 3 or 4 day cruise in the spring. :D

Most passengers really love this class of ship, myself included.:) She only holds around 2,000 passengers. There are two dining rooms, one anytime and one traditional. The specialty restaurants are the "Bayou Cafe" and "Sabatini's". There's also a "Crab Shack", held in a roped-off section of the the buffet, in the Horizon Court. There's no nightclub, but the Explorer's lounge features live music and the DJ starts around 11:00 pm. Just like the big ships there's the outdoor movie screen "MUTS", and an indoor swimming pool too.

"On the Bayou" is a special production show that's only held on the Island and Coral Princess. It features a New Orleans theme with costumes, music, etc. It's one of the best productions shows that Princess offers. It's even more fun if you order a mint julep. ;)

Thank you so much will have to go see that show and hum !! maybe try this mint julep :-)

This will be our last cruise as Platinum (15th) so will definitely be celebrating this moment.

I cant wait to see how a ship 20 tons bigger than the Sun Class ship feels with just about the same amount of passengers. Will I prefer this over the Grand Class thas is th ereal question lol :-)

Eric

Thank you so much will have to go see that show and hum !! maybe try this mint julep :-)

This will be our last cruise as Platinum (15th) so will definitely be celebrating this moment.

I cant wait to see how a ship 20 tons bigger than the Sun Class ship feels with just about the same amount of passengers. Will I prefer this over the Grand Class thas is th ereal question lol :-)

Eric

The only things that i miss are Skywalkers and the IC, otherwise this is a great ship and easy to get around on.

The only things that i miss are Skywalkers and the IC, otherwise this is a great ship and easy to get around on.

To me Skywalker is the nicest and coolest club at sea but unfortunately they are removing them all :-(. The IC is great when on ships.

sea ya

Eric