• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Venice - Pre Cruise Hotel

seaofwonder

We'll be arriving to Venice a day before the cruise. We won't be jet lagged (touring in Italy beforehand) and I am interested in something that is in the "heart" of Venice. Hubby can't walk long distances, so being close to the big tourist sites and restaurants is important.

Would like to stay around 150-200 euros (looking at prices I am thinking closer to 200 euros).

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia 2 weeks ago and were very happy. I reserved the room several months in advance and paid 201 euros. The hotel is close to a water bus stop. We bought a 24 hour pass for 20 euros. It stops at all of the major attractions.

Venice is very small so the tourist sites are close ... an hour's walk at most. Handling luggage tends to be an issue for most travellers; dragging luggage over bridges or onto vaporettos.

if your husband has trouble walking long distances you might want to consider staying near Piazzale Roma. PRoma is the last point of travel in Venice so it's where buses, taxis and cars drop off all passengers. It's also on the Grand Canal so you'll have easy access to the vaporettos which will cut down on the walking.

The Olimpia, mentioned by the PP, is only 2 blocks from PRoma, across 1 small bridge. The Arlecchino is next door to the Olimpia. You pay extra for the convenience of being close to mass transit, the piers, grand canal, and Venice. If you walk a few blocks further and cross 2 bridges you'll find better prices. This site willl help http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

Another option would be to leave your luggage at the Left Luggage facility at PRoma ... i think it's 5E per bag. Just take an overnight bag and then you can stay anywhere in and around Venice without schlepping luggage.

http://www.venere.com/venice is another good site. Use the map feature to drill down on specific areas, then plug in your dates and budget.

Edited by mapleleaves
venere

Thank you!

Hubby can handle 10 minutes or so at a time.

Luggage is no concern. We only travel with small carry-on bags.

This area seems to be near the train station, but not close to st.mark's. Although vaporettos are close, I know hubby and he prefers to be a short walking distance as opposed to public transport to a restaurant, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for anything closer to that area?

Or does it really not matter?

For some reason venice is throwing me for a loop on hotels.

I have all of our other cities taken care of, except this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to stay close to St Marks you may need to increase the budget.

Did you open the links I provided earlier? Both have info for lodging around St Marks.

To give you an idea on how close places are .... it's about a 15 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge to St Marks. HOWEVER, that's assuming you don't get lost. Since walking is a concern, pay close attention to the overhead signage so you don't get lost. There is little public seating in Venice. In the little squares you'll find a few benches.

For budget accomodations, check out a Rick Steves book from your library. To give you an idea of distances ... it was a 15 minute walk from the Rialto to St Marks.

Good luck!

Thanks! I didn't open the links yet, but will tomorrow when I'm on a regular computer.

Appreciate the notes on distances.

I do have a Rick steves guidebook. I'll likely increase our budget, since we prefer to be in 3-4* hotels.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read the links and I think we want to stay closer to st. Mark's. Being near transit isn't a concern, nor is luggage (since we pack light). Since we can't walk from near the train station to st. Mark's we'd be using transport anyways.....so staying near st. Mark's makes more sense. Our ship is also overnighting, so we'd be leaving the hotel late to check-in and being near st. Mark's allows us the morning to explore without using transit to get around.

That said....does anyone have any personal recommendations for staying near st. Mark's?

I can search tripadvisor (and I have) and read guidebooks (which I also have) and get info, but I also like more personal recommendations.

We loved Locando Orseolo. It is a charming hotel about 5 minutes from St. Marks and an easy walk to the Rialto Bridge. The owners were so welcoming and the breakfast in the morning is fresh cooked to order and delicious. We will be staying there again next year when we visit Venice.

I highly recommend Al Ponte de Mocenigo, which is perennially highly ranked on sister website tripadvisor. It is located 50 flat yards from the St. Stae vaporetto stop, which is one of the express vaporetto stops on the Grand Canal.

Edited by CintiPam

your best bet is to plug your dates, budget, and St Marks into the venere site and see what's available in your time period. Ask for feedback when you have a short-list.

Or expand your search beyond St Marks, like Accademia or Rialto. Or even further afield where you can easily take a vaporetto to St Marks.

your best bet is to plug your dates, budget, and St Marks into the venere site and see what's available in your time period. Ask for feedback when you have a short-list.

Or expand your search beyond St Marks, like Accademia or Rialto. Or even further afield where you can easily take a vaporetto to St Marks.

Thanks...although that accomplishes the same thing as just asking for personal recommendations now. As previously stated, I don't want to take a vaporetto to st. Mark's...I would rather be within a short 5-10 minute walk.

I was trying something new by asking here....but I'll proceed with my typical hotel booking plan (search on TA and booking.com). I'm sure whatever I find will work well for a one night stay.

We stayed at the Santa Chiara and thought it was wonderful. We took a land taxi from the airport right to the hotel so did not have to use the water taxis to get there. It is an easy walk to shopping and restaurants(I cannot walk very far either). They have an elevator and breakfast is included.

http://www.hotelsantachiara.it

Edited by Marie51