Belize help please

lsims1973

I recommend the New River and Lamanai excursion. It takes the full day but is wonderful. There is a mile hike at the ruins but you can climb up on one of the temples. There is a meal included. Also the zoo is fun. Small but nice. I know that others have enjoyed the cave tubing. Belize is my favorite port. The people are nice and it is a beatiful country. Yes it is "3rd world" but one has to remember that not all places are the states.

We went to the zoo there in 2011 on the liberty cruise and we did have alot of fun. the only thing I didnt like was there was alot of fire ants around you just had to watch were you stepped, But I wouldnt let that stop me from going :)

Edited by trev71

Xunantunich is a great excursion if your cruise is offering it as a ship shore excursion. It is far from port so I would only do it with the ship. The day was wonderful. It is on the far side of the country so you get a very good look at Belize. In Belize I would not just get off the ship and wander around, you need a plan and to book an excursion.

I have also visited Altun Ha. It is a good trip but not nearly as impressive as Xunantunich. We had scheduled cave tubing through a private tour and all the cave tubing was cancelled that day due to the river being at a high level. We were offered some options and we went with Altun Ha and lunch. It was a nice day but I preferred Xunantunich, more impressive ruins.

Cave tubing is also popular so look at that as well. We reserved with http://www.charliescavetubing.com/ based on excellent reviews and they will carry your tube for you! If we go back that is what I will try to do next time.

Anyone going on or have gone on the 5 day western carribean on the liberty?

anyone doing or have done an excursion in Belize ? if so which one? is it worth even getting off the ship there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jen1000

I also recommend the New River and Lamanai excursion. Since it is an all day tour, I also recommend booking it directly with the cruise line.

If you're interested in seeing pictures, you might enjoy watching the slide show my wife put together for her website with some of the pictures she took during our excursion.

The link below will take you directly to her slide show.

Belize ~ Lamanai-New River shore excursion

Cruising is a wonderful way to explore the world!

When I did Belize in 2009, I think it was before the first Freedom class visited there. I was there on Navigator. One of my memories is the tender fleet looked like it might be used for a mass evacuation like Dunkirk in 1940. I don't think two ships were the same in size, speed, or capacity. With the bigger ships tendering here have they expanded the tender fleet at all?

I recommend the New River and Lamanai excursion. It takes the full day but is wonderful. There is a mile hike at the ruins but you can climb up on one of the temples. There is a meal included. Also the zoo is fun. Small but nice. I know that others have enjoyed the cave tubing. Belize is my favorite port. The people are nice and it is a beatiful country. Yes it is "3rd world" but one has to remember that not all places are the states.

I also recommend the New River and Lamanai excursion. Since it is an all day tour, I also recommend booking it directly with the cruise line.

If you're interested in seeing pictures, you might enjoy watching the slide show my wife put together for her website with some of the pictures she took during our excursion.

I, too, recommend this excursion.

I, too, recommend this excursion.

Great, thanks for these recommendations. We are planning to take this tour with our teens next April whilst on Equinox ;).

When I did Belize in 2009, I think it was before the first Freedom class visited there. I was there on Navigator. One of my memories is the tender fleet looked like it might be used for a mass evacuation like Dunkirk in 1940. I don't think two ships were the same in size, speed, or capacity. With the bigger ships tendering here have they expanded the tender fleet at all?

The tenders now are very large - I'd say 150 to even 200 passengers. Also fast.

We did the river cruise and zoo excursion thru NCL in 2013 over turkey day. Boat ride was too fast and not too pleasurable. We had to get off for lunch which was ok. While waiting for the bus to the zoo, we were bitten alive by mosquitos. Was to be a 30-45 minute lunch, wait for the bus was over 90 minutes so the bugs really feasted. We did use 3 cans of OFF for us 10 but not much help. We were still itching when we got home. 7 days later, relief. Natives did say the bugs were really active due to the weather.

We were there last year on the Carnival Dream. I had high expectations - a friend of mine rents a resort there for a week every year for fishing and diving.

Long tender! The area is very poor, lots of small, almost lean to buildings. Worse as you get further out of town.

We did an airboat excursion - it was meh. Definitely not a port you can just wing it as far as excursions.

Another friend told me about the blue hole - it's apparently a LONG way offshore but looks pretty awesome!

We did the zip line and cave tubing excursion last year. I could do without the zip lining. Thought that was kind of a waste of time, but the cave tubing was a cool experience. I would do that again. I think there were a few options that offered the tubing as part of the deal. Just be aware that it is not tubing in the going down a river sense. The tour guide walks and pulls you into the cave and you float around in there for a while. there are some pretty cool formations and whatnot.

Cave tubing. A nature hike through the jungle. THen a leisurely float down the river. $50 including lunch and transportation.

cavetubing.bz

I second this tour and this tour company. I also don't think 4 is too young. We did it in December with ages from 9-16. The 16 year old was the only one that complained about the hike, the rest of us loved it. Nice little hike through the jungle then tubing through caves.