Theft on the Enchanment-and how we got results

M2ice

Just read the "Theft on Oasis" thread and wanted to relay what happen to us this past weekend on the Enchantment.

On Saturday afternoon we came back from Nassau and decided to take a dip in the hot tub. We placed all of our stuff on a deck chair and my GF placed her sandals under the chair. We were chatting in the hot tub and were there for maybe 30 to 40 minutes. When we came back the sandals were gone.

My GF was upset as a little over a year ago the same thing (sandals and cover up missing) happened on the Monarch. She went to guest services and they blew her off with "nothing we can do".

The next day we came back from Coco Cay and our account was locked. She went to guest services again and was not only blown off again but told that we would not be "allowed" off the ship if we didn't get the problem solved.

Since it was my credit card I went down and again they were curt at best. SO game on.

I demanded to see the head of security and file a formal report of the theft. Guest Sevices stalled and I could tell that security was not overly interested in coming down either but I stood my ground and security arrived. I filled out their form and once he arrived the security officer was helpful. We went up to the deck and showed him the exact location then to our room to see what suit my GF had on in order to track her movement on the pool deck. They asked for a couple of hours and after several I went back to guest services to see what had happen. They said that security would meet me at our room. They did, along with several Senior Officers of the ship.

They had tracked the person who had the sandals and were in the process of

trying to get them back. They said that they didn't believe the theft was intentional but it did happen. They also gave us a credit for our time and aggravation.

The next morning when we went to get off they scanned our card and told us the sandals were waiting a guest services. Guest services then couldn't find them for 30 minutes but in the end we got them back.

As a note they were also helpful with the credit card problem once they knew I wasn't going away and gave me a free call to get the problem solved.

What we learn.

1-Guest services first response is to push you along and not address issues.

2-There is a formal theft report and it is your right to use it.

3-There are camera's everywhere and they can track someone anywhere on the ship.

4-If you get to the right people you will get results, but getting to them is hard.

Just read the "Theft on Oasis" thread and wanted to relay what happen to us this past weekend on the Enchantment.

On Saturday afternoon we came back from Nassau and decided to take a dip in the hot tub. We placed all of our stuff on a deck chair and my GF placed her sandals under the chair. We were chatting in the hot tub and were there for maybe 30 to 40 minutes. When we came back the sandals were gone.

My GF was upset as a little over a year ago the same thing (sandals and cover up missing) happened on the Monarch. She went to guest services and they blew her off with "nothing we can do".

The next day we came back from Coco Cay and our account was locked. She went to guest services again and was not only blown off again but told that we would not be "allowed" off the ship if we didn't get the problem solved.

Since it was my credit card I went down and again they were curt at best. SO game on.

I demanded to see the head of security and file a formal report of the theft. Guest Sevices stalled and I could tell that security was not overly interested in coming down either but I stood my ground and security arrived. I filled out their form and once he arrived the security officer was helpful. We went up to the deck and showed him the exact location then to our room to see what suit my GF had on in order to track her movement on the pool deck. They asked for a couple of hours and after several I went back to guest services to see what had happen. They said that security would meet me at our room. They did, along with several Senior Officers of the ship.

They had tracked the person who had the sandals and were in the process of

trying to get them back. They said that they didn't believe the theft was intentional but it did happen. They also gave us a credit for our time and aggravation.

The next morning when we went to get off they scanned our card and told us the sandals were waiting a guest services. Guest services then couldn't find them for 30 minutes but in the end we got them back.

As a note they were also helpful with the credit card problem once they knew I wasn't going away and gave me a free call to get the problem solved.

What we learn.

1-Guest services first response is to push you along and not address issues.

2-There is a formal theft report and it is your right to use it.

3-There are camera's everywhere and they can track someone anywhere on the ship.

4-If you get to the right people you will get results, but getting to them is hard.

I agree totally. This is a good post.

I won't go into the ins and outs but earlier this year there was a really traumatic incident that ended in near disembarkation for 2 friends. They were right and guest services were wrong. They stuck to their guns and stayed onboard ending up with a full apology from the ship, the rest of the cruise in a Grand Suite and a free cruise for two people for the future.

However if they hadn't have had the guts to stick to what they knew was correct and challenge the most senior management on the ship for getting it wrong they would now be banned from RCI, Azamara and Celebrity.

ALWAYS ALWAYS fight injustice. PLEASE !!!!!!

:) :) :)

Why did they lock your acct and tell you that you were not allowed to get off the ship?

Sorry if that is not clear, there was a problem with my credit card due to the Home Depot sanfu. When I went down to try and fix it they were less then helpful, in fact they were not even overly nice. I then decided that it was time to take action on the theft.

I am glad that this finally ended well. I hope that you put this all in that comment card, so it passes by more eyes.

I didn't have a issue of that level, but guest services on Vision was great the 3 times I dealt with them and helpful and in 1 instance very acceptive to seeing if my request could be accomodated , and the sup. called Room Service and they were fine with the request and did an awesome job. It made my birthday very special with an awesome MDR dinner food in my JS at sunset.

Totally agree ! RCCL both onboard and on land are quick to push you along... BUT stand your ground and make them take action, getting the correct person to speak with is very important. I do believe that most onboard are not used to confrontation and avoid at all costs because of their culture and/or country (s ) that they come from.

I once put on the wrong flip-flops....both me and another woman had the exact same flip flops! I wore them to my lounger, but they felt funny to me....when I went back to the pool (wearing those flip flops), the woman asked me where I had found them....I told her, and pointed.....right at MY flip flops! Crisis averted....I got my shoes, she got hers....it was an innocent mistake. It was not thievery or larceny....it was an accident!

I'm not sure how a shoe going missing would prevent you from doing anything....or compromise your credit card???

Edited by cb at sea

They were inexpensive knock offs. The story they gave us was that someone picked them up and then put them back down next to someone else's stuff and the second people just picked them up with their stuff. I guess stranger stuff has happened but it seems like a weird chain of events.

I absolutely agree with this - we had an issue on our Navigator cruise about our drinks package. We complained at Guest Services, and got nowhere. We asked to speak to a Guest Services manager, and got nowhere - in fact he was really rude and dismissive, had us sitting in his office like 2 bold school kids as he talked down to us. My husband then asked to speak to the Food & Drink manager - it was sorted within an hour. If you're in the right, don't be fobbed off

Interesting. My wife had her Tori Birch sandals taken the same way, she went three feet forward out of her chair to check on our little one in the pool and came back and the sandals were gone. She went to security, filled out the form and they came back and said yes they saw someone take them but the video was fuzzy and they could not make out the passenger.....

Good Post - I am so glad the outcome was positive.

We had a problem with an RC employee billing us incorrectly. When confronted the employee became very rude and verbally abusive to my neighbors wife (1st time cruiser). It was so bad that she will never cruise RC again and it is still brought up 10 years later.

Guest Services did nothing to help. We asked to speak to the officer in charge of on-board sales. FYI - Many of the crew are contract employees.

The next day we were finally contact by an officer and filed a complaint. We had the bill corrected, but never received any other contact regarding the incident or any apology - which is what was really warranted.

Thanks for sharing

Guest Ivenia

And why not? You do know that you can spend hundreds of dollars on sandals? Are you suggesting one should do nothing about theft?

Guest Ivenia

And why not? You do know that one can spend hundreds of dollars on sandals? Are you suggesting one should do nothing about theft??

To look at the big picture, this is really no different than any business issue on land: Yes, someone can fix the problem, but unless you know how to behave in a professional manner and are willing to show tenacity, "they" are quick to try to dismiss your problem and see if you'll just go away.

Another theme that can be extrapolated from this story: You'd be wise to take two credit cards on your cruise. If I'm understanding correctly, the credit card problem was caused by Home Depot (I do so hate them), so obviously the issues began before the cruise -- and the situation might not've been resolvable from onboard. And someone once did try to use my credit card without my permission (HUGE kudos to Discover, who realized the problem before I did) While such situations are not likely, it would be convenient to be able to say, "Okay, my Discover card is compromised in some way. I must see what's wrong and fix this, but in the meantime, just charge my Visa."

Finally, you say they threatened that you could not leave the ship until the issue was resolved? So WHY did you resolve it? You could've stayed another week or two! Foolish choice!

Edited by MrsPete

In this case, the OP said they were inexpensive knockoffs.

Cost is not always the driving factor. There is an ethical and honesty factor here. The OP has given some very good and helpful information for anyone who might have a loss.

I personally have ensured I didn't keep even a few cents received that weren't mine. I also am someone who wants to be charged the correct amount and further have worked hard to have so if someone took something it is of value to me. Just happy to learn of a great outcome!

I always travel with at least 3 credit cards, one MC, one Visa and one Amex. The problem with unauthorized use is huge, in the last couple of years it has happened to me three times. I would never go anywhere without a least 2 back up cards.

As for not fixing the problem and "not" being allowed to leave the ship, we were wondering if we could have the same cabin! and of course since we would be at sea we wouldn't be able to fix on the next trip either, and would have to go a third time and well I'm now sure I would ever fix it. The only problem is that since the account was locked we couldn't get drinks. I'm thinking if we talked to people on the ship they would feel sorry for us and buy us drinks, then all we needed was a little Tide to do our undies in the sink and we would never have to leave.

Why did they lock your acct and tell you that you were not allowed to get off the ship?

The OP wasn't clear, but I don't think it was related to the Sandals. Knowing some credit cards they may have blocked a charge until they could contact the customer because of an unusual transaction out of the country, or there are a couple of common things that can happen.

I hope these were expensive sandals ;)

On a barely related note, I wish Royal put shelves or cubby holes near the hot tubs and pools. In this case the OP could have relaxed in the hot tub while having a casual eye on his possessions. I know I frequently hit the pool for 20-30 minutes and have no need for a coveted chair. On Jewel I have put my towel, shoes and seapass on the lion sculpture. My apologies to people trying to take pictures of Jewel's beautiful solarium.

I had a very different experience on Oasis this past fall. I had my iPad with me on the cruise and was storing it in a little backpack inside the closet on the floor. It had been in that same spot the entire cruise whenever I wasn't using it. I'm a little crazy about always putting things in the same spot when not in use - but it keeps me from losing my keys, etc. Anyway, I had used it before heading off the ship for a port day then put it away in its "spot". When I came back from port and went to retrieve the iPad from its "spot", it wasn't there. I panicked. I pulled everything from under the bed, looked in the luggage, drawers, everywhere (almost :o). Down to Guest Services I went. I explained that my iPad was not in my cabin where I'd left it. Guest Services didn't hem-haw at all. She immediately called Security, and the Security Officer met me at Guest Services within probably 3 minutes. While waiting for Security, she credited our account for 15 free minutes of wifi so that I could get on line to print my boarding passes, etc. (all of which had been stored on my iPad). He got the details of my incident, then began to explain to me their process for helping resolve the issue. He asked if I had thoroughly checked the cabin, and if I was certain I hadn't taken the iPad off the ship. Of course I said yes to both, honestly thinking I had looked everywhere in that cabin :o. He then took all my information on a form, and asked me to head back to the cabin where he would have his staff meet me in about 10 minutes. He explained that they would need to go through everything in my cabin to verify the item was, in fact, truly missing. I headed back to the cabin to wait. As I was waiting, I decided to change my clothes. When I started rifling thru the closet, I moved the last few hangars in the closet and to my surprise there was my iPad, in the back pack, hanging in the closet from a clothes hangar! Our wonderful cabin steward had apparently hung it up when he was cleaning. Who knows.. even though I'm cuckoo about putting things in their designated place 99% of the time, perhaps I left it laying on the bed that one time and he hung it up to clean the cabin. In any case, I immediately called Security and explained what had happened. He laughed and said it wasn't the first time something like that had happened. He was very apologetic that the Steward had inadvertently caused panic. (The apology was not necessary.... he was a fantastic Steward.) Next call was to Guest Services to have them remove the wifi credit as it was no longer needed. She politely refused to remove the credit and said to use it any way we wanted. They couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant.

Long story longer, I think Guest Services - and any customer service for that matter - depends on the people on both sides of the counter. In his case, sounds like the OP encountered a less-than-motivated guest service representative. I think the OP was very wise to be diligent in pursuit of a satisfactory resolution. Glad it all worked out for him. Good post!

As I've read thru this thread I'm surprised at the comments about how much the sandals cost. What makes the difference??? Theft is Theft!!! It's all about what does and does not belong to someone. If it was an honest mistake the "taker" should be fine with being told they have an item that doesn't belong to them and return it to the rightful owner. (I would be horrified to know I've mistaken someone else's item as my own!) On the other hand if the theft was intentional they need to be confronted and thrown off the ship....don't need to reward bad behavior by allowing them to remain on the ship.