• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

5 star mariner

solocanadian

500 . There is some question whether or not spending days are counted. The literature says they are not . However, when we received our medals we had 500 days combined but only 480 actual sailed days.

It is things like this that confuse me. I know I have a long way to go for my silver medallion but thought the stars were calculated differently. I have my bronze now and 4 stars. Thanks for your reply.:confused:

500 . There is some question whether or not spending days are counted. The literature says they are not . However some have gotten them with a combined total of 500 days.

Don't forget there are two Mariner programs running simultaneously, and each has a 500-day milestone. Those milestones are reached via a different way to count.

The Star (*) Mariner program includes days sailed, extra days counted for suites, and spending, in the calculation. The 500-day milestone for 5* can actually be reached in under 200 days using that calculation.

The older Medallion Mariner program counts actual days on board only. The gold medallion is reached when you have sailed 500 days, without any consideration of extra days counting due to having sailed in a suite, or how much you have spent.

Don't forget there are two Mariner programs running simultaneously, and each has a 500-day milestone. Those milestones are reached via a different way to count.

The Star (*) Mariner program includes days sailed, extra days counted for suites, and spending, in the calculation. The 500-day milestone for 5* can actually be reached in under 200 days using that calculation.

The older Medallion Mariner program counts actual days on board only. The gold medallion is reached when you have sailed 500 days, without any consideration of extra days counting due to having sailed in a suite, or how much you have spent.

Thank you, Ruth, for this explanation. Most helpful!

Thank you Ruth for your explicit explanations. One more for you, please- how many days for the Silver. You mention 500 days for Gold but I'd like to know about Silver. I have my Copper. Thank you.

By the way the Piano Man, David Anthony on the Statendam refused to play Bill Joel's "Piano Man" last week, even though that nights show was a tribute to Bill Joel. He was catering to two women with big mouths and big voices as thought it were a Karioke Bar. I did not pay to go on a cruise and be entertained by Karioke singers. This really ticked me off.

Hi Ruth,

Are the rewards different between the 5-star Mariner program and the other Medallion (?) program you mentioned? I'm no where near 500 actual sea days...but I'm close to reaching 500 Mariner days and 5* status. :)

Edited by Aruba

There are only 4 extra perks between being a 4 star Mariner and a 5 star Mariner:

(1)50% discount on one 100 minute Internet package (used it once)

(2)Two complimentary dinners in our elegant Pinnacle Grill (have used it ever since the 5 star program began)

(3)Complimentary cooking class in the Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine magazine (never used it)

(4)Complimentary day pass to the Greenhouse Spa & Salon Thermal Suite -- one per cruise (never used it)

And if the new Internet prices go fleet wide, #1 will be gone for 5 star Mariners.

Thank you Ruth for your explicit explanations. One more for you, please- how many days for the Silver. You mention 500 days for Gold but I'd like to know about Silver. I have my Copper. Thank you.

Let's do the whole list---

Mariner Medallion Program (actual days on board):

100 days---Copper

300 days---Silver

500 days---Gold

700 days---Platinum

By the way the Piano Man, David Anthony on the Statendam refused to play Bill Joel's "Piano Man" last week, even though that nights show was a tribute to Bill Joel. He was catering to two women with big mouths and big voices as thought it were a Karioke Bar. I did not pay to go on a cruise and be entertained by Karioke singers. This really ticked me off.

It would tick me off, too, except I wouldn't be there for a Billy Joel night.

What reason did he give for not playing Piano Man? (I could get to like this guy. ;));)

700 actual sea days for Platinum medals.

We were fortunate to get to 700 days while HAL was still giving out the Platinum Lapel pins.

I am not sure how many actual sea days you need to get into the Presidents Club -- by invitation. But I know that we will never make it there.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

Hi Ruth,

Are the rewards different between the 5-star Mariner program and the other Medallion (?) program you mentioned? I'm no where near 500 actual sea days...but I'm close to reaching 500 Mariner days and 5* status. :)

Nice to see you posting here again! Betting you have a HAL cruise booked???

There are no rewards attached to the Medallion program, unless you count the hardware that's draped around your neck as a reward. :D

That's why the new * program was greeted with a certain amount of enthusiasm. I happen to love the free laundry, two free Pinnacle dinners, and free day lounging on the ceramic bed in the spa.

700 actual sea days for Silver medals.

Not hardly! :eek: I am not at 700 days yet (close), but received my silver medallion before the gold one.

You're confusing the silver medallion with the platinum one.

Edited by RuthC

Yes, certainly Ruth has the number of days correct for the Medallion Program.

The Star Mariner Program is:

Star Mariner after first completed HAL cruise or if you have sailed on a ship in Carnival Family of Ships (includes Costa, Seabourn, HAL, Carnival, Cunard and Princess .....)*

2 - Star Mariner after 30 Cruise Day Credits

3 - Star Mariner after 75 Cruise Day Credits

4 - Star Mariner after 200 Cruise Day Credits

5 - Star Mariner after 500 Cruise Day Credits

* Though you would be called a Mariner if you have sailed on ship in the Carnival Corp. Family, those days earned on other cruise lines do not accumulate toward days total on HAL. Only days sailed on HAL count for HAL Mariner Programs.

Don't think so, Judy but a friend asked and I wanted to tell him the truth - not what I thought. Just waiting to see how they calculated my last cruise. Sailing solo makes it much harder to move up the ladder because of the cost.

Wishing you many wonderful cruises and for the days to add up fast. :D :) But, I know what you mean about solo pricing. It's brutal. :eek:

700 actual sea days for Platinum medals.

We were fortunate to get to 700 days while HAL was still giving out the Platinum Lapel pins.

I am not sure how many actual sea days you need to get into the Presidents Club -- by invitation. But I know that we will never make it there.

We were happy to receive the lapel pins. DH enjoyed wearing it on his blazer/suit lapel when on the ships. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Let's do the whole list---

Mariner Medallion Program (actual days on board):

100 days---Copper

300 days---Silver

500 days---Gold

700 days---Platinum

It would tick me off, too, except I wouldn't be there for a Billy Joel night.

What reason did he give for not playing Piano Man? (I could get to like this guy. ;));)

Thanks for the Medallion lesson.

Sorry I LIKE Billy Joel. This dude gave no reason. I raised my middle finger & left and never went back. He knew I would dish him on CC.

Edited by solocanadian

No really - getting kind of bored with HAL.

I still like hal but I'm more sick of their pricing and smoking policies. Depending on what you are looking for you might enjoy princess. They give solos 2 cruise credits per cruise. I'm an elite in a lot less days than the 200 days on hal.

....I am not sure how many actual sea days you need to get into the Presidents Club -- by invitation. But I know that we will never make it there.

President's Club requires a double platinum. 1400 actual sea days sailed, and an invitation.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving