CruiseTour versus DIY

donaldsc

So I think you list some valid reason for doing it on your own. Would you mind listing some things and places you recommend. Also any sites that you used for planning. We are going with a large family group in 2016 and are doing a northbound cruise but then DH and I will stick around for some Anchorage and Denali touring on our own. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books and get familiar with traveling Alaska and what is available and where.

I can recommend planning what is of interest to YOU. You might also want to read some trip reports.

Slow down and maybe (proof)read what you write. Your post is VERY confusing.

Disagree. We drove about 12,000 miles on our Alaska driving trip and I enjoyed every mile and every kilometer of the trip.I drove probably 8000 miles of the trip and my wife did maybe 4000 miles. As I indicated, when I do the driving, I am in control and and stop anywhere and for as long as I wish.

Do realize that the typical visitor will not drive anywhere near this so this experience in itself is not a good example. Having said that, I agree that an independent trip gives much more flexibility to do/see more.

If I do a DIY, I am abdicating control to someone else and I can not stand that.

Really? Coming from you? I can not stand that :D

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

You'll find Alaska travel books at your library, like Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc. Fodor even has a book specific to Alaska cruises.

Most towns have web sites to promote tourism, activities and vendors in their community. ie http://www.seward.com or http://www.kenaipeninsula.org. Or the state site http://www.travelalaska.com. Many sites will even send a free visitor guide.

Go to the Alaska forum of http://www.tripadvisor.com and you'll find lots of good info under TOP QUESTIONS, including a RESOURCE thread for DIY trips. It has links to dozens of sites.

http://www.alaska.org is a general site with info on THINGS to do ( like scenic drives), travel distances between destinations.

Read the trip reports and photo journals posted in the STICKYs above. Lots of first hand recommendations on lodging, activities, vendors, etc. Great photos as well. ( if you look at the 2013 list, start with reply #45 where reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship).

Edited by mapleleaves

Would you mind listing some things and places you recommend. Also any sites that you used for planning. We are going with a large family group in 2016 and are doing a northbound cruise but then DH and I will stick around for some Anchorage and Denali touring on our own. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

What I do, and this may not suit you, is to get the brochures for expensive travel tours and in the case of Alaska the cruise tours and I go through them looking for what I think will interest me. When I have a vague idea of where I think I want to go I look at trip advisor reports and do a bit more indepth research. You can find out what people do not like about those tours and avoid that for your itinerary.

This means you definitely cover the highlights and maybe find some off the beaten track gems as well.

Absolutely visit your library and get a Fodor's or Frommer's travel guide. Know what you want to see and do. You can even order brochures from each port (Anchorage, Seward, Sitka, Skagway, etc)

Then I start a graph chart with the different cruiselines/ships across the top. Then down the side list the things of importance to you (ship size, cabin type, cost, excursions, ports, time in ports, etc). As you research put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research, one should have more Xs than the others.

I didn't need the travel guides, my first cruise I knew I wanted to visit Sitka, so when I saw the HAL ad it was a no-brainer. The 2nd trip was a lot more difficult. Again, I knew I wanted to include the Yukon. The Gold Rush history just seemed to include Alaska & the Yukon. I started my graph chart, and ordered a Milepost book. There was my husband and myself, my husband's single sister and my husband's single male friend from work. I ordered brochures from all the main ports. I worked diligently for a month, putting in hours and hours of research. Started researching RVs, then the male friend announced he slept in the nude YIKES! Switched to car or van rental. Had a really difficult time traveling from Skagway up into the Yukon, finding accommodations that didn't break the bank, that satisfied EVERYONE. Gave up! I finally narrowed it down to Princess (7 day cruise + 8 day land at $4400 pp) vs HAL (3 day cruise + 8 days land for $2750 pp). I emailed the trip info and told them what I was doing, if they wanted to join us, great. The original sister decided not to go, so hubby's other sister went. Ended up my husband shared a cabin with the male friend, my sister-in-law and I shared a cabin. Not the greatest solution, but we managed for the 11 day trip. And it was awesome!

So learn where you want to go, what you want to see & do, THEN HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP no matter which way you do it!

Edited by agabbymama

• 2 weeks later...
What I do, and this may not suit you, is to get the brochures for expensive travel tours and in the case of Alaska the cruise tours and I go through them looking for what I think will interest me. When I have a vague idea of where I think I want to go I look at trip advisor reports and do a bit more indepth research. You can find out what people do not like about those tours and avoid that for your itinerary.

This means you definitely cover the highlights and maybe find some off the beaten track gems as well.

excellent advice. That is my exact approach. I've done that for cruise excursions which has enabled me to book independently for a better experience. And I have done it where it has enabled me to cover the highlights and find hidden gems for a better experience at a more economical price. But I'm also like a previous poster mentioned - I don't view doing the research as work - to me it is quite enjoyable:).