Celebrity , it's time to take notice

I think that Celebrity's strategy is short sighted and could come back to haunt them. The fare's have risen by 50-100% in the veranda class since 2012 from my perspective.

?

You jest, right? This comment is ridiculous. We cruise on Celebrity 6 times a year and your numbers aren't even in the realm of reality.

But in all fairness, maybe your perspective is very different from mine.;):)

I have to agree with Oville on this too. We paid more for our cruise on the Ruby Princess in 2012 with no perk, than we did for our C2 on the Reflection which included the Bev pkg in 2013, which was within $200 of what we paid to sail the Horizon in 2000.

Dollar for dollar, at least for how we book, Celebrity provides the best value for what we allow for a vacation.

In 2013 we were also still benefitting from the 2012 lower rates. We usually book long before final payment, 10 to 14 days. AQ to SS.

I know of a few couples who did not book consecutively with X, because of rates. They chose RCI and P.

Maybe the bargains are in seven days? Or after final payment? Our rates are up as well. 2012 was the best rates for us.

We just finished a 7 day on Caribbean Princess and after sailing Celebrity the 3 prior cruises, I can say there was a difference in the two and Celebrity won out hands down, in our opinion. Was it bad? No....we had a wonderful time. But, there were some distinct differences. When I took my first shower on board, I noticed a hair clip left in the shower from the previous passengers.....makes me wonder how well the steward cleaned. They changed some of the desserts but not for the better. The cheesecake used to be excellent, but this time we passed on it....it was lousy. We always open the balcony door between our cabins, but the door didn't open all the way and was angled onto our balcony, blocking part of our view and banging during the night. The cabin steward ended up tying an extension cord around it to keep it from banging (we appreciated that very much). The dining room experience was pretty similar, but the buffet Celebrity wins again. More variety by far. The salad bar on celebrity was wonderful with lots of choices. I made a nice big salad every day at lunch but on Princess the choices were very limited. Overall I would rate our latest Princess cruise 4 stars, but our latest Celebrity cruise 5 stars. Both great, but Celebrity wins by a nose!

We were on the Summit and I thought that the buffet offerings were the worst. I didn't see any variety. Everyday was the same spread. Unless you waited on line to order an omelet the eggs that were pre-plated were refrigerator cold. I don't expect the food to be hot at a buffet and I,m even fine with room temperature but refrigerator cold is unacceptable. We only eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch but we pass through the buffet at dinner time since we spent the later part of the day at the ocean view bar. There was nothing being served for dinner that would compel me to eat dinner there. However we did order from the grill one night to try it out. The steak was like shoe leather and the salmon was dry as a bone. The salad bar in my opinion was a joke. Also Celebrity has very limited buffet hours while Princess buffet is open nonstop from 6:00am until 11:00pm.

There are other things such as the Caribbean itineraries, the entertainment, and the rooms that I like better on Celebrity.

Personally I think that Princess needs to drop these 4 and 5 day itineraries out of Florida. This is the second year that they had to offer deep discounts and OBC. Even with this the ships didn't always sail full. These short cruises started out way over priced compared to similar itineraries on other lines. If they are trying to compete with the other lines then they need to be competitively priced. They should be replaced with longer 9 day cruises that visit ports in the southern Caribbean. The 9 day itineraries are nothing but a 4 and 5 day combined. I don't need to return to Ft Lauderdale mid trip for a wasted embarkation disembarkation day. It's a great deal if you live in Florida but I don't know how they are profitable especially when passengers were trying to cash out the OBC that was given to them. I'm happy that Princess closed the loophole on that.