Freedom of Seas "suites come first?????"

Over the past year I have witnessed horrifying behavior of Pinnacle guests in particular asking to see people's Seapass cards in the CL to confirm their eligibility.

In our first Grand Suite on Adventure of the Seas next weekend if anyone except the Concierge are a ships officer/employee ask to see my Seapass card they will be told to mind their own business as politely as my temper will allow me.

Just another reason why we very rarely visit the lounge on any ship we are on.

Edited by cruisenfever

If a number of concierges are saying that suites come first, then most likely this is something coming from corporate, and complaining will only result in corporate telling the concierges that suites come first, but don't announce it.

I was in a suite on the Freedom OTS in 2007 and quite frankly, the concierge was useless. As a result I did not leave him a tip. It wasn't a case of bad service, it was a complete lack of any service. He did not follow up on anything and I ended have to take care of everything on my own, when I would rather have been spending time with my family. I got treated better on the the Serenade OTS in an ocean view (I was platinum at the time).

Edited by Cuizer2

It would seem to me although a Conceirge may want to give priority attention to suite guests, why lessen any potential gratuity by insulting a D+ or P? I wonder if the problem is that conceirges have found that loyalty guests do not tip as well as suite guests for the same services, and such, they want to concentrate their time on suite guests. Although I seldom use the CL, I've never been treated with anything other than polite behavior.

Just off the Freedom today after 2 weeks: Bertie was definitely not in the Concierge Lounge but was an efficient, hospitable host in the Diamond Lounge for both weeks. After 5 cruises on Freedom in the same number of months, I have never heard or seen Bertie being anything but polite, kind and courteous. Such a shame to malign the gentleman:(

Edited by gadaboutgal

Gwen, as far as I know he is staying with the ship........but that was last month. Who knows what will happen in the future.

Thanks Patti. We were on the Explorer Aug.28th. We had our granddaughter with us, so since she is a lowly Gold member, I spent all my time with her and was only in the CL a couple times just to talk to my husband. So I really didn't get much time to talk to Denzil.

I don't like the CL on the Explorer. To closed in. I like windows and the Grandeur is nicer, IMO.

Gwen :)

Since nobody has indicated that Rahul is on vacation and Berty is filling in for him in the CL the logical conclusion is that the OP falsely disparaged the wrong person. If you are going to make disparaging remarks about a crew member the least you can do is get the name right. Otherwise you destroy your own credibility and make your posts meaningless at best.

Since nobody has indicated that Rahul is on vacation and Berty is filling in for him in the CL the logical conclusion is that the OP falsely disparaged the wrong person. If you are going to make disparaging remarks about a crew member the least you can do is get the name right. Otherwise you destroy your own credibility and make your posts meaningless at best.

According to this link, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hKBiGZ9Gqcp2G2owtX3RyQy7yQ0ijgxCL0nPjQKK8j4/edit?pli=1#gid=0 Rahul just left for vacation and Berty started 10/5 in the CL. I suggest that you might want to bookmark this page as it is updated as needed.

The bottom line is that a Concierge should just be a little more tactful when making those types of statements no matter who is is addressing.

Edited by cruisenfever

I am a lowly Diamond, we now usually cruise in a GS or OS. With the advent of dedicated Diamond lounges why not have the Concierge lounge exclusively for suite passengers? Suite guests who are not Diamond cannot go into the Diamond lounge. Also, no one other than a RCI employee had better EVER try to demand that I show me seapass card.

Mmmmm. This has put me off even trying the concierge lounge. I don't want to be treated like a second class citizen, but I can fully understand why it has come about. No doubt those same boors would act the same way in the DL, but at least I'll know I have as much right to be there as anybody else and won't be treated any differently.
They will trust me. I've seen and never want to witness the actions those in the CL on the sailing I was referring to again. Waiting at 4:30 in the CL for the staff to set up the bar, tutting that it was taking too long, or was that because I had the audacity to be in there in shorts and t shirt whilst they were dressed to the nines? Any dress code doesn't start until cocktail hour. Mind you when I saw one particular gentlemen 3 hours later berating the concierge it was embarrassing as he was obviously intoxicated from the free alcohol he'd consumed since 5 pm.

The other awful attitude is that of certain D+ cruisers who think only they should have access to the CL. I'll repeat one of my experiences, again on this sailing as a suite guest. My Seapass card wasn't always reliable in opening the door to the CL, so I was having to try a couple of times. A lady was waiting to come in with her blue coloured Seapass card in her hand and obviously a little exasperated that I was blocking her way.

She said in a loud voice 'only certain people are allowed in here you know' (again I'm dressed in shorts and a t shirt and it is before cocktail hour) as she looks down her nose at me. 'Yes' I replied 'I know and I'm one of them' as I flashed my gold coloured Seapass card under her nose. I so wanted to ask if she was entitled with her blue Seapass card but wouldn't lower myself to her level.

IMHO the sooner the D+ guests are prevented from using the CL and have to go the DL the better. The CL on Voyager and Freedom class ships cannot accommodate the numbers trying to use them, so restrict access to the suite guests, JMHO.

I really do have mixed feelings about this as both a pinnacle member and a suite guest. Personally, I believe when paying the premium that suites command, those guests should be given the Royal Treatment. Problem is D+ & pinnacle guests believe they too should be treated equally as suite guests regardless of the cabin we book.

I don't advertise that I'm pinnacle onboard through conversation, whipping out my Seapass card or wearing the lapel pin. Over the past year I have witnessed horrifying behavior of Pinnacle guests in particular asking to see people's Seapass cards in the CL to confirm their eligibility, monopolizing the concierge, throwing fits when something goes wrong, and thrusting their gold card down when something doesn't go their way. I have grimaced in the corner in all these situations because I have had the pleasure of meeting such friendly and truly classy pinnacles and diamond plus members in the lounges. But I'm afraid the sour apples in the group are slowly causing royal to really realize it is "suites first," otherwise people are going to have a harder and harder time justifying paying those suite premium to be basically not receding the full attention of the officers & crew onboard because they are too busy tending to the C&A loonies.

Currently onboard vision in an owners suite with my family and we were forced to sit outside in the VCL because a group of underdressed, overly intoxicated, name lapel pin wearing fellow pinnacles had taken several chairs and tables to themselves, in effect saving seats (we were told NO!) and impacting my experience as a suite guests. So to me, that is a problem.

Just my opinion and I truly don't mean any disrespect to anyone.

Excellent post. We are D+ and suite guests most of the time and feel the same. On our last RCCL cruise we tried to use the CL the first night, but it was monopolized by a group of D+ and Pinacles. The concierge was really apologetic and told us that she was going to do something about it, but we never came back during the night. We have been cruising lately with Celebrity and they are doing a great job enhancing the suite experience. Butler service, concierge lounge, in April they will have a private dining room for suite guests. The use of Michael's Club (concierge lounge) is limited to upper suites and Zenith members (top tier). Some suites will also get unlimited use of the specialty restaurants, laundry and internet. I know that Celebrity and RCCL are not the same, but if Celebrity's suite experience sells well I wouldn't be surprised if Royal follows with similar changes.

According to this link, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hKBiGZ9Gqcp2G2owtX3RyQy7yQ0ijgxCL0nPjQKK8j4/edit?pli=1#gid=0 Rahul just left for vacation and Berty started 10/5 in the CL. I suggest that you might want to bookmark this page as it is updated as needed.

The bottom line is that a Concierge should just be a little more tactful when making those types of statements no matter who is is addressing.

Just arrived home from the Freedom today. We were in a GS and were in the CL 6 out of 7 nights. Rahul was our Concierge. He did a great job. I loved the nightly voicemail messages of why to expect the next day. On Friday, Rahul found out that he was staying for one more week, because his replacement could not be there. That may have changed.

These stories sound similar to the ones you hear about unruly children on board. Anybody catch a Pinnacle pushing all the buttons on the elevator? (You know, from boredom because they've been on so many cruises.)

I wouldn't fault the concierge for indicating "suite guests first". For suite guests who are NOT D+ or above, the CL is one of the perks for which they paid AND it's their only venue for the "complimentary" drinks/snacks.

I would hope that if D+ and/or Pinnacle members found the CL crowded, they'd move to the Diamond lounge (or Diamond event if no DL). Why would some be so determined to be in the CL instead? I guess I don't understand that one. :confused:

I was on the Navigator 2 years ago and was looking to book a cabana at Labadee. It was my very first Royal Caribbean cruise so my status was zero. Some very nice people here on CC mentioned that it was possible to get a cabana on Barefoot Beach if I emailed the concierge of the Navigator and asked if any were available. Amazingly she replied back a week before my cruise and I had a cabana booked on Barefoot Beach. I was traveling with my family of 4 in just a regular balcony room so nothing special.

When I got on board, I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to do to get my cabana assignment or where to go. I received a phone message in my cabin from the concierge informing me to head to the CL for my paperwork and to process my payment.

I wandered around for a while until I found the door to the CL. It was of course locked and my key card didn't work to get me in. I waited patiently outside the door until someone came by and politely let me in. I felt like I was part of some super secret club and felt very out of place! I had my hubby and 2 daughters with me and we weren't sure where to go our what to do once we walked in there. I also felt like everyone was staring at us when we walked in. Can I say awkward???

I found the concierge and she was helping a gentleman with something and told us that we could stand in the corner and wait. it was weird. It was small enough in there that we had no where else to go and we could here the whole conversation she was having with this man. All he did was complain, complain, complain about everything and anything and kept throwing out his status and his room and how he wasn't getting what he deserved. It was so weird. We just kind of stood there looking up at the ceiling or wherever else trying to not make eye contact with each other or we would have burst out laughing. Looking around the room, it just had this weird snobbish feel to it.

Finally after 30 minutes, he walked away and the concierge quickly processed our cabana and we were out of there within a couple of minutes.

I told myself that if I ever traveled in a suite or became some high up status, I had no plans of ever going back in that room!

Honestly someone who pays 20k for the royal suite deserves to be treated royally.
The opposite side of that coin is that the person who paid 1800 deserves to wait his turn and be grateful for what he gets. I can't buy into that idea.

ALL cruisers should be treated well. In a case where a staff member has to make a judgment call between serving this or that cruiser first . . . he would do well to be a little more tactful, even if his real "mission" is to serve the suite guests first.

On a personal note, I think anyone who pays 20K to cruise is either paying for a monster-sized party, or is an idiot. The difference in the experience between a balcony cabin and a suite isn't all that significant. I'm assuming the 1800 price tag was for a bottom-rung cabin, but I can't help comparing 10 cruises in that cabin vs. one in the 20K suite.

MAYBE THE OP WAS TALKING ABOUT TRYING TO BOOK A CABANA.

If that is the case, then suites do come first.

And, if that is the case, it is no reason to cop an attitude and bad mouth the concierge.

If this is the case, then, yes, I think we all know that suite guests have priority for reservations . . . still, the concierge could say that in a polite way. For example, "I can't reserve that cabana for you right now. We allow our suite guests first chance at those items, but after ______, we'll open them up to other guests. Here's my number. Please give me a call after that time, and if a cabana's still available, I'll be glad to take care of you." Same theme, but so much more palatable to a guest.

Oh Gosh. Booked our first GS on Radiance for a 16 nighter in Feb next year. Was looking forward to the CL. My wife and I like to meet new friends especially from other parts of the world. We're easy going people but I'm hoping we don't run across any of the "Child Like" or "Sense of Entitlement" others have described here. That would spoil it and make us avoid the place altogether.

If this is the case, then, yes, I think we all know that suite guests have priority for reservations . . . still, the concierge could say that in a polite way. For example, "I can't reserve that cabana for you right now. We allow our suite guests first chance at those items, but after ______, we'll open them up to other guests. Here's my number. Please give me a call after that time, and if a cabana's still available, I'll be glad to take care of you." Same theme, but so much more palatable to a guest.

The Bertie that I know and respect (because I have observed him speaking kindly to all guests in his lounge) would have spoken exactly as you suggested.

The OP quoted only 4 words: "remember, suites come first". The OP omitted the rest of the conversation. The 4 words, when taken in context, could have been spoken very much the way you wrote your post.

It would be nice if the OP came back on line and gave the full story.

Hold the flaming. .. Suite guests pay for this level of service and the CL was deemed for this purpose. It is more than gracious for the line to allow the top two C&A tiers have access to such.

I find it unfortunate that so many members feel "entitled" and so closely identify their personas to how often or loyal they have been to the line.

As a (soon to be[emoji4] ) d+ this answer wouldn't bother me at all as I agree that suite passengers have paid a lot more than I have and deserve priority. As my Mum said to me as a teenager - "it wasn't what you said, it was the way that you said it" referring to both tone and choice of words

I think there should be one lounge for suites only and one lounge for elite status cruisers. I agree, there are just too many people in these lounges. The CL is a privilege and not a right that the cruise line can take away any time. People should treat it as such and just enjoy their vacation. I can't stand how much people complain. Give people an inch and they whine that they deserve a mile

I always travel in a suite and avoid the lounge because of the crowds. I just buy a drink pkg. and enjoy my cocktail in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fully accept that that the CL was originally set up for the use of Suite Guests, and I believe that those that book suites should be entitled to receive everything that is sold to them as part of that package. As such I feel for them when the Lounge is overcrowded and the facility cannot be enjoyed to the maximum.

However under the current rules, the access to the CL is also part of what is purchased by a D+ or P member and therefore they are equally entitled to use the space and services of the Concierge and Bar Service Team in the Lounge.

I think it is a good idea that drink vouchers have been introduced to enable guests to drink in other locations, particularly when travelling friends might not have access to any Lounge.

But it is unfair to accuse people of "feeling entitled" when clearly they factually are. Every business chooses the way in which they look after first time or regular clients. Royal chooses to have a loyalty scheme that offers certain benefits to different guests.

I for one do not expect any greater level of service from any other guest no matter how many times I or they have cruised. I think that all guests should receive the best product and service available. I always have and that is why I continued to return completing enough cruises to reach Pinnacle.

So am I entitled to consider the Lounge as part of the deal struck with Royal, under the current rules YES I DO, and if they change those rules I will consider my position then. Do I consider the "free drinks" to be an issue, no not really because I know that I can cruise with other lines at a lesser price, and buy a drinks package and still come in at a lower cost than I might pay with Royal.

I choose Royal because of many aspects, the hardware (Ships) is certainly one aspect that keeps me coming back, but the Software ( the Crew ) is my main reason.

And yes I do know some highly regular cruisers that do push the status thing beyond a reasonable balance, but having access to the Lounge is currently an entitlement that is reasonable and therefore I hope to continue to enjoy the ability to have a concierge that welcomes us into the Lounge without considering our presence anything less than valid.

Hold the flaming. .. Suite guests pay for this level of service and the CL was deemed for this purpose. It is more than gracious for the line to allow the top two C&A tiers have access to such.

I find it unfortunate that so many members feel "entitled" and so closely identify their personas to how often or loyal they have been to the line.