• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

CPAP machine and distilled water??

pcvtmom

My sister is joining us on our cruise next summer. She uses a CPAP machine, which I know can be brought on the ship. However, she wondered if it was okay to bring distilled water. I know cases of water can be brought for consumption, but that's not distilled. Are gallon jugs allowable? Any past experience with this would be much appreciated.

Hubby uses the ship's water and has never had a problem. Have her bring her own extension cord and keep it in the cpap bag!!! Hubby forgot his once, and the ship could not find any extra's so the first port he had to buy an extension cord! now he keeps one in his bag at all times.

Reading on the Princess Board, that if you need distilled water, and contact special services before the cruise, they will have it in your cabin on embarkation day. Supposedly at no cost. But $3 a gallon for distilled on a ship is a bargain anyway.

Might not even need distilled water. Hubby's CPap states TAP water and do not use distilled.

most machines use distilled and where ever she got her machine they would have told her what water to use. you can use tap but tap water at home will leave deposits in the humidifier which can damage the machine. the tap water on the ship is fine because it is well filtered.

Hubby gets it from room service once on board. Cost was less that $4. worth it not to have to bring it. Did this in May and just home tonight from doing two 7 day b2b. Had a little left from the 14 days. As others have said ship water is probably fine, but he preferred to use distilled since that was what machine says to use. But if had ran out he would have used ships water a few days rather than buy a gallon. Ditto on extension cord in with the machine. We lay a towel over the cord so not to trip.

No worries, enjoy!

Kat

I have helped a lot of guests with CPAP's and using ship's water. While distilled is better, a week of ship's water (which does contain some minerals) will not damage the machine, and any deposits noticed afterwards can be removed using the manufacturer's cleaning procedures or a weak vinegar solution. When guests ask for distilled water for a CPAP, the cabin steward usually brings a gallon jug to the engine room, and we fill it directly from the evaporator, before it gets treated with calcium carbonate (antacid).

Every time I sail I call the special needs desk at carnival And they note on my bookimg that I will be having a CPAP machine and a NEBULIZER machine. They have a gallon of distilled water on the counter and a 30ft extension for my CPAP so it will reach the bed. I still bring a 6 outlet power strip to plug things in. The water is 3.60 for a gallon but well worth it.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

just off the Valor. The tap water did cause significant build up in the CPAP. Instructed just to call room service and order distilled water from them.

Guest services called our cabin and left a message wanting to know if everything was ok with the CPAP machine on the second day. I thought that was nice.

The only plug is across the room on the vanity. Not the safest at night to avoid the extension cord.

I have helped a lot of guests with CPAP's and using ship's water. While distilled is better, a week of ship's water (which does contain some minerals) will not damage the machine, and any deposits noticed afterwards can be removed using the manufacturer's cleaning procedures or a weak vinegar solution. When guests ask for distilled water for a CPAP, the cabin steward usually brings a gallon jug to the engine room, and we fill it directly from the evaporator, before it gets treated with calcium carbonate (antacid).

If that is the case you do a great job of putting a seal on the jug. I've ordered distilled water from special services or room service and it has always come in a sealed container.

I always use distilled water in my CPAP unless there is no alternative. It's not going into your stomach, it's going into your lungs and while the ship's water is probably fine, I don't want to take the risk. It isn't damage to the machine that is the issue it is what's going into your lungs.

Have an extension cord, in good condition, in your bag. There are usually no bedside outlets and you will need to run the cord across the floor. I stress having a cord, in good condition, because an old, cracked or frayed cord is a fire hazard. Also make sure the UL tag/sticker is still on the cord. It may be inspected. You can also request an extension cord from Guest Services if you don't have one or it is confiscated for being in poor condition.

I have found that placing a bath towel over the cord, at night, will help avoid tripping on the cord if you get up in the night and need to go to the bathroom or move about the cabin.

I suggest calling Carnival Special Services before you board or getting it from room service before you board. Calling before you sail is the best. One time, on Royal Caribbean, I was told they were out of distilled water.

Take care,

Mike

This last cruise on the Liberty I called down and maintenance brought hubby a huge extension cord for his machine...we didn't know about the distilled water on board so we just brought ours...now that I know that is one less thing to carry!

The only plug is across the room on the vanity. Not the safest at night to avoid the extension cord.

Most CPAP machines are dual voltage, and will work on the 220 outlets on most of the ship. I bring a prong converter (costs less than $5) and unplug a nightstand light.

My sister is joining us on our cruise next summer. She uses a CPAP machine, which I know can be brought on the ship. However, she wondered if it was okay to bring distilled water. I know cases of water can be brought for consumption, but that's not distilled. Are gallon jugs allowable? Any past experience with this would be much appreciated.

I took my cpap and found distilled water in bottles at walmart..they are tall I brought 2 and did not use all of it..

It's not going into your stomach, it's going into your lungs and while the ship's water is probably fine, I don't want to take the risk. It isn't damage to the machine that is the issue it is what's going into your lungs.

Then you can rest easy Mike. The humidifier heats the water to create steam, which enters the airstream from the CPAP, any minerals will be left in the reservoir.

The only time you would have to worry about something getting in your lungs would be if the water had VOCs or some other volatile compounds which you wouldn't find in potable water because they would make it non-potable.