• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cruise cancellation

Mariner4

I have to cancel my upcoming cruise with Holland America as I cannot get the time off work. I do have the platinum insurance that will reimburse me 90%.

Does anybody know if I will have a problem cancelling my cruise? I also took the return air fare through HAL and booked directly through their head office with no TA. Any info would be appreciated.

I have to cancel my upcoming cruise with Holland America as I cannot get the time off work. I do have the platinum insurance that will reimburse me 90%.

Does anybody know if I will have a problem cancelling my cruise? I also took the return air fare through HAL and booked directly through their head office with no TA. Any info would be appreciated.

We have had to cancel HAL cruises twice and had their Platinum insurance both times. We had no problem whatsoever. The first time we cancelled a cruise we had the cruise and airline reimbursement posted to our credit card in less than 1 week. The second time we had the cruise and airline reimbursement applied to another cruise that we wanted to book. Our TA had the new booking # for us the next day. Since we always use a TA we can not comment re booking through HAL's head office.

Is it "cancel for any reason" insurance?

When I took out the insurance, I asked them the same question and they told me "yes" so I hope this is the case.

They never asked us why we had to cancel although in both cases it was medical.

We have had to cancel a couple of cruises the last couple of years -- and at those times we had HAL Platinum insurance.

When our TA called and cancelled the cruises, no questions were asked. We got back 90% of the cruise fare and all pre-booked tours and specialty restaurants. Refund back to the credit card was very quickly. We book our own air and hotels and got everything back.

Yes... We had booked about 6 months ago and it is amazing how 6 months can change your plans. This other couple we had planned to go with had to cancel because she has to go for a coronary stent or possibly two stents. My wife fell and broke her tail bone so we had to cancel... We will try again for a cruise in January if all goes well.

• 3 weeks later...
We have three cruises booked and have only paid deposits on each cruise. The first one is in August, 2015.

If we were to cancel now, would we get our deposits back.

Since you are from Australia, you may have different rules than are followed in the US and Canada. I know people from places in Europe have posted they don't get their deposit back if they cancel.

It would be best to check with your booking agent to get the definitive answer to your question in your case.

Yes... We had booked about 6 months ago and it is amazing how 6 months can change your plans. This other couple we had planned to go with had to cancel because she has to go for a coronary stent or possibly two stents. My wife fell and broke her tail bone so we had to cancel... We will try again for a cruise in January if all goes well.

Years ago my mom broke her tail bone, I have so much sympathy for your wife as it is very painful. Hope she recovers soon, so you can book another cruise.

Yes.

Before you say Yes, look in the upper right corner to see where the OP is from.

Although deposits are always returned for bookings made in USA, they are not returned for many European bookings. The OP is from Australia and I'm not sure you know for sure that deposits are returned for those bookings.

Yes.
You know the thread with the discussion about why some of us believe it is relevant to know a poster's location before giving an accurate answer? This is one of those times. If you had a location of Australia, like the poster to whom you gave the "yes" answer, you'd have some credibility. Since you have no location given, and some of know the correct answer isn't always "yes" outside of North America, we have to question your response.

Stratheden - Listen to RuthC. For those of us in North America the answer would be yes. However, IIRC those who booked in Australia have different laws/rules/regulations. Good luck.