• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

I didn't get it

paulista1950

"Evening Dress Code (Begins December 21, 2014)

Effective December 21, 2014 on Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony:

Based on valuable feedback from our guests, we will be updating and simplifying the preferred Evening Dress Codes to two types: Crystal Casual and Black Tie Optional to be more in line with the continually evolving, more relaxed dress codes reflected throughout the world today. "

Why more relaxed if it will change from 3 "levels" to the 2 more formal? Today we have Resort Casual (no jacket), Elegant Casual (jacket no tie) and Black Tie Optional

Next year it'll be just Crystal Casual (jacket no tie) and Black Tie Optional

Another question: is it common men not using a tie on Black Tie Optional nights?

Based on valuable feedback from our guests, we will be updating and simplifying the preferred Evening Dress Codes to two types: Crystal Casual and Black Tie Optional to be more in line with the continually evolving, more relaxed dress codes reflected throughout the world today. "

Why more relaxed if it will change from 3 "levels" to the 2 more formal? Today we have Resort Casual (no jacket), Elegant Casual (jacket no tie) and Black Tie Optional

Another question: is it common men not using a tie on Black Tie Optional nights?

You do not have to wear a jacket on crystal casual evenings. There are some men, not many, that do not wear a tie on black tie optional evenings.

Nancy

Ditto to what Patty and Nancy said.

In short, the major reason for the change was to make it easier to plan what to bring for the evenings on board the ship by gong with two rather than two types of evening attire.

I agree with Nancy. The vast majority of the men currently dress in either formal attire or if the go with a sports jacket dress it up by wearing a tie.

Keith

... is it common men not using a tie on Black Tie Optional nights?

"Black Tie" is an expression for a tuxedo or dinner jacket. "Optional" means that men may dress less formally (one category down being a dark suit). A literal tie, of any color, is not what is meant.

For some, Crystal's "continually evolving, more relaxed dress codes reflected throughout the world today" sometimes seems to devolve into "my husband dresses better than that to go to the hardware store". :p

I am one of those who likes to see the gentlemen in the James Bond look :) rather than the mall rat look :o .

Edited by asdf_reloaded

"Black Tie" is an expression for a tuxedo or dinner jacket. "Optional" means that men may dress less formally (one category down being a dark suit). A literal tie, of any color, is not what is meant.

For some, Crystal's "continually evolving, more relaxed dress codes reflected throughout the world today" sometimes seems to devolve into "my husband dresses better than that to go to the hardware store". :p

I am one of those who likes to see the gentlemen in the James Bond look :) rather than the mall rat look :o .

Please define what a mall rat looks like. I must be one of them because I wear jeans and a sports shirt to the mall and Home Depot. Now I must be a hardware store rat. Really??:rolleyes:

Sorry to inform you the James Bond look is fading away.

Edited by Suite Travels

mall rat

A surly teenager who spends all of his or her time at the mall with friends. Typically seen standing around glaring at customers -- sometimes these fascinating creatures will pick fights with mall security and call them "fascists" for enforcing the mall's loitering bylaws. Also often seen intimidating the elderly people in the clothing stores, they flock back to the "baggy pants with mile-long wallet-chain" section of the clothing store when an employee threatens to call the police.

We see ourselves as more the aging hipster look, especially since we are from Portlandia.

As a man I find these new rules good. I can plan what I call resort casual for all nights. On black tie optional nights I put on a sport jacket. Easy to plan and easy to pack. A very good change in my view. My DIL calls us hipsters but I have yo say I do not know what that means?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

I'm sure all of will have different reactions to the dress code revision, but we are very pleased with the change. Here's why:

We (a same sex couple) both like to wear tuxedos on formal nights. But we hate to pack too much for the cruise. Our interpretation of the old (well, the current until later this year) dress code with three-tiered levels of "formal-ness" required us to pack both our tuxedos and either a suit or a tailored jacket (sportcoats, etc.) in addition to to dress pants and dress shirts for "casual" nights.

I, strangely enough, hate to wear the same jacket more than once during the cruise, if I can help it. My husband, on the other hand, especially hates to wear a jacket without a tie. Please feel free to call us neurotic. With the new revised system, we don't have to pack any tailored jackets or ties. For our next cruise next year, we will be packing our formalwear for black tie optional nights and dress shirts/dress pants for other nights.

I cannot comment on how we feel about the change will affect our fellow female passengers, though, since we just have no idea.

From what I can gather, Crystal basically kept the formal nights dress code, and merged the casual ("Resort Casual") and "informal" ("Elegant Casual") nights and made it more flexible. That's our take on it, anyways. Also, the current nomenclatures of "Resort Casual" and "Elegant Casual" are just too confusing in our opinion.

Edited by Psoque
used the correct names for the current dress code categories

From again the same source Urban Dictionary:

"Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs."

Hence all the old out of date flannel shirts, sneakers and sweatshirts are "vintage" clothing we still wear. We are now hipster chic or non-chic or whatever the point of hipsterism might be.

By the way to the original poster.

I just joking here. Sorry for any confusion I may have added for our Brazilian cruise critic member.

Edited by ijkh

Psoque -- that's what I like about the new scheme... It takes an entire tier of clothes out of my suitcase, while still preserving formal nights, at least to the extent the previous dress code did.

Redbird -- that's sort of the point of the new dress code... Everyone wanted freedom and flexibility, and now we have a dress code with lots of options. Casual is anything from a polo shirt up to a sports coat, and dress nights are anything from a sports coat up to a tux.

Daytime was always a hodgepodge, so that's nothing new at least...

Vince

As a man I find these new rules good. I can plan what I call resort casual for all nights. On black tie optional nights I put on a sport jacket. Easy to plan and easy to pack. A very good change in my view. My DIL calls us hipsters but I have yo say I do not know what that means?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Much easier and still elegant

From again the same source Urban Dictionary:

"Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs."

Hence all the old out of date flannel shirts, sneakers and sweatshirts are "vintage" clothing we still wear. We are now hipster chic or non-chic or whatever the point of hipsterism might be.

By the way to the original poster.

I just joking here. Sorry for any confusion I may have added for our Brazilian cruise critic member.

I'm NOT a hipster, at least not according to this definition!:D

Edited by paulista1950

Casual is anything from a polo shirt up to a sports coat, and dress nights are anything from a sports coat up to a tux.

Crystal should hire you to write their copy, Vince. That was much clearer than what they wrote. And the one photo example wasn't much to go on.

Now could you write one for us women? Would it be: "Casual is anything from a sundress up to a cocktail dress, and formal is anything from a cocktail dress up to an evening gown?" ;)