• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Currency in Carribean

fairmiler

Going on Ventura on 30th January for first trip to the Carribean. This question has probably been asked umpteen times before so apologies for asking again, but given that several islands have different currencies what is the best single currency to get before departure? I was thinking of US Dollars.

We're on the same cruise but arriving on the 31st as we like a day in Barbados at the end rather than the beginning of our holiday. Janny444 had it on the nail - always take small dollar notes to avoid local currency change.

See you on board....

If you do end up wanting to buy something and only have a $10/$20/$50 to hand its usually worth asking before you buy if you can get the change is USD, rather than lose the sale they tend to produce the correct change in dollars for you.

The $US will be accepted throughout the Caribbean but as said before take small bills and before paying just ask if US acceptable, if they try to give me coins back as change I just tell them to keep them and give me the notes in change.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

Euros work in some islands like St Maarten too.

Yes and I don't know whether it's still the case but when we went to Guadeloupe a few years ago, they were very protective of their French identity and seemed to prefer the Euro.

As others have said though we generally only take US$ to the Caribbean but if you have some spare € at home from a previous holiday and you are visiting any French Islands you could take them with you and probably fare better than $ in terms of exchange rate.