'Oueen of Horns'

PathfinderEss

For all you sail away fans, just wanted to let you know that the 'Queen of Horns'

is in great hands with Captain Rens Van Eerten at her helm. We just spent a

few weeks on her and had a wonderful time, especially listening to the sounds

of her beautiful horns.

When we left Vancouver she tooted around 25 times, it was awesome as she

was saying good-by to Vancouver and also to the Statendam and Oosterdam who

were ported in Vancouver that day. Sadly neither ship replied back but it didn't

dissuaded Captain Eerten from his horn tooting salute to Vancouver for all their

hospitality.

Then on the Westerdam's first visit to SF she tooted all they way under the

Golden Gate bridge, an outstanding performance as noted by the great video

taken of it by Elsie. We also had other nice tooting in Catalina, SD, Cabo,

Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Most, well over 20 toots in every port.

Later in the cruise I present Captain Rens Van Eerten and the Westerdam

with her third plaque for winning the horn blowing contest in Ft Lauderdale.

I had several conversations with Captain Eerten about our sail away group.

How we have enjoyed listening to all of the Hal ship horns. I mentioned

about the performance Captain Henk Keijer gave us upon his final sailing on

the Westerdam. Where he tooted some 146 time, as best we could count.

Captain Eerten looked at me with a slight smile on his face and said

'I can do better', so gang, it truly sounds like we're going to have another

wonderful sail away season.

The Westerdam is now on her way thru the canal heading towards Ft.

Lauderdale to her winter port, doing Caribbean cruises and hopefully

thrilling us all with her tooting. I for one, can't wait for the sail away

season to begin...........

Are you still on the Westerdam? I think I have heard that Westie's second captain thinks the tooting is "Unprofessional", so we may need to take full advantage of Captain Rens Van Eerten's time at the helm. Do you know how long he is on the ship?

Roy

Melodie,

Thanks for your report! Captain van Eerten is one good Master! He was our Captain when I was on the Westerdam last January. Very friendly, very guest oriented, very visible around the ship! I also had a few words with him about our sailaway group and how much we enjoyed the tooting as the ships sailed. Looking forward to another season of toots!

Are you still on the Westerdam? I think I have heard that Westie's second captain thinks the tooting is "Unprofessional", so we may need to take full advantage of Captain Rens Van Eerten's time at the helm. Do you know how long he is on the ship?

Roy

No, just got off Friday. This is his time off over the Holidays, so were not going to have a long time with him, but I think it will be memorable. Yes I heard the same thing about the 'other' Captain, so I guess we better enjoy Captain Eerten tooting while we have him. I think Captain Eerten said he was going to be off for 2 months, so we may have him back in Feb or so.

Edited by PathfinderEss

When will the first sail-away from Ft. Lauderdale occur? I loved watching them, and of course, listening to the horns!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

You know I'm not sure, Chief probably knows, but I'm thinking it won't be long as the Zuiderdam is going thru the Panama canal now.

No, just got off Friday. This is his time off over the Holidays, so were not going to have a long time with him, but I think it will be memorable. Yes I heard the same thing about the 'other' Captain, so I guess we better enjoy Captain Eerten tooting while we have him. I think Captain Eerten said he was going to be off for 2 months, so we may have him back in Feb or so.

Do you know if Captain John Scott is the other Captain for Westerdam?

He used to be on Noordam.

That is the first for the Westerdam but we have the Zuiderdam on the 17th and Veendam on the 22nd.

Maybe there will be a tooting competition!;)

If you have an iPhone or iPad, there's an app called "Port Everglades Cruise Schedule" in the app store. DW (@Huskerchick) has had it on her phone since she read about it in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel last year. It shows you all the ships in port each day, including their sizes, schedules, etc. The app is free and very easy to use. It's quite handy if you are interested in sail aways. Sadly there's no Android version. :(

If you have an iPhone or iPad, there's an app called "Port Everglades Cruise Schedule" in the app store. DW (@Huskerchick) has had it on her phone since she read about it in the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel last year. It shows you all the ships in port each day, including their sizes, schedules, etc. The app is free and very easy to use. It's quite handy if you are interested in sail aways. Sadly there's no Android version. :(

Cool, I'm just downloading on my iPad. Thx for the info.

I've been looking for a reason to get an iPad and to date could not find one. Thanks.... :D You just gave me my reason. ;)

I've been looking for a reason to get an iPad and to date could not find one. Thanks.... :D You just gave me my reason. ;)

I LOVE my iPad. It took a bit of getting used to but I think it's the best thing since sliced bread:D. I barely use my desktop anymore.

From what I can tell from the Atlas, the Zuiderdam will be in PE on the 17th of October and the Westerdam will be in on October 18th.

Do you know if Captain John Scott is the other Captain for Westerdam?

He used to be on Noordam.

You know I have no idea who the other Captain is. I think who ever it is was on the cruise that Joanie did but not positive. We had Mark Pells for our HD.

Thanks Sails and KK for the welcome back, I will write a review later in the week.

Cool, I'm just downloading on my iPad. Thx for the info.

Just a heads up - some of the itinerary data needs an update. The dates and ships for Port Everglades is correct, but the ports after the ship leaves are wrong. Just look at your NA voyage and the next one & you'll see what I mean. I wrote to the developer ('cause I just loves me some bug reports) and he's got an update in process. Still a very cool app though. Wish there was an Android version though.

I LOVE my iPad. It took a bit of getting used to but I think it's the best thing since sliced bread:D. I barely use my desktop anymore.

I love my iPad so much that I bought an iPad mini which fits easily in my purse when I travel. Only negative is that there is no sound on PTZtv webcams so I still need to use my laptop for sail-aways!

Thanks, POA1! I just downloaded the app.

I love my iPad so much that I bought an iPad mini which fits easily in my purse when I travel. Only negative is that there is no sound on PTZtv webcams so I still need to use my laptop for sail-aways!

Thanks, POA1! I just downloaded the app.

No sound on either iPad's?