Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Please reread Andy's post. It includes the actual stated policy issued by Celebrity. See the Celebrity statement: http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready#before_you_go_getting_ready/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready%3Fsubtab=true

Also, this is from an article on Cruise Critic:

Celebrity Cruises

aysdresscode3.jpgThe Code: Celebrity's Web site states that you'll need two types of evening clothes for a cruise. Most nights are "Smart Casual and Above," meaning a sport shirt and slacks for men, while women will be comfortable in a skirt or pants and blouse, or casual dress. On "Formal" nights, both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Number of Formal Nights: Cruises of four to six nights have one formal night; seven- to 11-night cruises have two, and 12 or more nights have three.

Nightly Casual Option: Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the International Marketplace, outdoor grill, the Aquaspa Cafe and Cafe al Bacio & Gelateria.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, tank tops, caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main or specialty restaurants. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed during evening hours. As long as jeans don't have holes, rips or tears, they are permitted on "Smart Casual and Above" nights.

We just got off the 6 night Summit cruise that repositioned the ship from NJ to San Juan. Went on with the idea that there would be one formal night. The ship decided on two- Monday and Thursday evening. Many people did not know about the second one (discussed on our roll call that there would only be one). That is why I feel many people did not "dress up" on Thursday night. Someone on a different thread that is now closed posed why some people were in polo and Hawaiian shirts. The first night is nice when you go into the theatre to toast with the captain. The second night is there just to sell pictures. No need for it. Our next cruise in on the Quantum and the only place formal attire is needed is in the Grande Restaurant. I won't mind what people wear and finally the discussion who and why they didn't bring their tux and long gown will no longer be important.

Again, this is part of the issue with Celebrity that I have been discovering....first of all the slam toward Carnival was just tacky and uncalled for. ... I read all of the CC boards, but Celebrity is the only board that has such stuck up snobs that for some reason want to feel superior to others. I just don't get it.

I think this all stems from how Celebrity has positioned itself in the market. At the lower end you have Carnival, NCL, RC etc who know that the average passenger is at very least ambivalent about formal nights. At the other end you have lines like Cunard with their strict dress codes and Seabourn who just hope they can price most of the overly casual dressers out of the market.

Celebrity is stuck bang in the middle, on one hand tying to be a mass-market line and on the other pushing the "modern luxury" image. So on the same ship you get a balance of the formal-haters as well as those who insist that formal is an essential part of cruising.

I don't think that Celebrity necessarily attracts snobs, is just that the market positioning results in X being the battlefield where these issues are fought out. Whichever side is currently losing gets over-defensive and this manifests itself as rudeness/snobbiness, at least on these forums. On-board nobody really cares.

I think this all stems from how Celebrity has positioned itself in the market. At the lower end you have Carnival, NCL, RC etc who know that the average passenger is at very least ambivalent about formal nights. At the other end you have lines like Cunard with their strict dress codes and Seabourn who just hope they can price most of the overly casual dressers out of the market.

Celebrity is stuck bang in the middle, on one hand tying to be a mass-market line and on the other pushing the "modern luxury" image. So on the same ship you get a balance of the formal-haters as well as those who insist that formal is an essential part of cruising.

I don't think that Celebrity necessarily attracts snobs, is just that the market positioning results in X being the battlefield where these issues are fought out. Whichever side is currently losing gets over-defensive and this manifests itself as rudeness/snobbiness, at least on these forums. On-board nobody really cares.

I just hit the "LIKE" button

I am coming in late to this discussion. But I think I got the gist of it. We don't get all bent out of shape over formal or casual nights. Personally I find it fun to done a cocktail dress for the formal nights and a simple dress or slacks for the casual nights in the MDR. I wear jeans to work everyday. So I feel "special" when I dress up a bit. And I do mean "a bit". No gowns or tux. I do find it a pain in the, you know what, to pack for all these special nights and I have been know to wear something more than once (please don't tell anyone). I, for one, could not tell you what anyone else was wearing or if they weren't formal enough on a formal night. I don't mean that in a mean spirited way. I just mean that I am busy having a good time with my Hubby or friends to really pay attention.

R

We just got off the 6 night Summit cruise that repositioned the ship from NJ to San Juan. Went on with the idea that there would be one formal night. The ship decided on two- Monday and Thursday evening. Many people did not know about the second one (discussed on our roll call that there would only be one). That is why I feel many people did not "dress up" on Thursday night. Someone on a different thread that is now closed posed why some people were in polo and Hawaiian shirts. The first night is nice when you go into the theatre to toast with the captain. The second night is there just to sell pictures. No need for it. Our next cruise in on the Quantum and the only place formal attire is needed is in the Grande Restaurant. I won't mind what people wear and finally the discussion who and why they didn't bring their tux and long gown will no longer be important.

Aloha shirt is considered formal in the Hawiian Islands and to the Hawaiian people .:)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Forgive me, but DH and I have never sailed X. We are eating in Blu as we are in AQ. We are wondering if nice (dressy, if you will) jeans and a dressy top would be inappropriate of dinner. I know this is a touchy subject, but I don't want to over or under pack.

Forgive me, but DH and I have never sailed X. We are eating in Blu as we are in AQ. We are wondering if nice (dressy, if you will) jeans and a dressy top would be inappropriate of dinner. I know this is a touchy subject, but I don't want to over or under pack.

Blu is smart casual and above every night. On formal nights many dress up but you will see others who stay smart casual. If (in your opinion as it is in mine) good jeans and a dressy top are smart casual then that is perfectly acceptable. Celebrity's definition of smart casual does include jeans.

Blu is smart casual and above every night. On formal nights many dress up but you will see others who stay smart casual. If (in your opinion as it is in mine) good jeans and a dressy top are smart casual then that is perfectly acceptable. Celebrity's definition of smart casual does include jeans.

Than you very much for your reply. I don't want to look or feel out of place. Glad that won't be the case! :)

R

Aloha shirt is considered formal in the Hawiian Islands and to the Hawaiian people .:)

That's pushing it a bit, certain types of Aloha shirts (not the touristy, crazy colored ones) are considered "dress shirts" but NOT truly formal. Having attended several weddings in Hawaii I've never seen anyone married in them THOUGH I'M sure many are at city hall anyway :eek:

On another note as a fun thing to do when we cruised with friends a few years ago we all preplanned to wear our craziest and loudest Aloha shorts as part of our Tux's and suits on formal night....it was fun and we got lots of interesting looks as the 5 men in the five couples strolled around like that and our server in the MDR and our bartenders in the Martini bar loved it as well

Just back of the Silhouette (25th Oct -1st Nov) and was really surprised with the standard of dress.It now seems that T shirts ,shorts and trainers are the norm whatever dining option you select and formal night a joke.I will never be taking a DJ or suit again and do not know why Celebrity do not just drop the formal nights as it is not that popular and at least you will know what to pack.

Just back of the Silhouette (25th Oct -1st Nov) and was really surprised with the standard of dress.It now seems that T shirts ,shorts and trainers are the norm whatever dining option you select and formal night a joke.I will never be taking a DJ or suit again and do not know why Celebrity do not just drop the formal nights as it is not that popular and at least you will know what to pack.

Interesting dates that you have posted. Were you allowed to sail on the Silhouette for just part of the October 18th to November 1st cruise?

I was on the previous October 4th to October 18th 14-night Holy Land cruise on the Silhouette, and we found the exact opposite. On the first two formal nights, we paid particular attention to the level of dress, and almost everyone we could see in the MDR (early seating) and the Theatre were dressed well within the dress code for formal night. Those sitting at our table even commented on how well-dressed the diners were. We did not pay attention on the last formal night, but I would probably have noticed if there had been a big change in the level of dress, just as a matter of interest.

Just as I know what to pack now, casual gear for port and on deck, good casual for dinner most nights a suit and tie for 3 or 4 nights.

I suspect that if they go to good casual we will then have people saying trousers and shirts with sleeves are too much so we want shorts and singlets.

And of course it is only some peoples opinion that formal night is not that popular, others seem to love it.

What I really don't understand s why on earth both groups have members that get bent out of shape over it.

Edited by GUT2407

Unfortunately there is no consistency between ships

One some it is no shorts on other the CC hostess says don't bother about that, you will have been out all day and will not have had time to change

On some no jeans, in others, comments are made (not by the CC hostess but by the Elite fashion police) if you wear them.

We dine at 8.30 or later, we are not going to change until after 7 most nights so we gauge the atmosphere re dress code. If folks wont accept us casually dressed, we do not go and that is why we love it when the ship runs the voucher process because we can have a drink elsewhere without the need to get dressed up.

The worst thing is if you go there on formal night and your husband does not have a jacket on (he is going to change into a tux later) now whilst there is NO need to have a jacket on in the elite drinks watch the body language and listen out for the tut tuts.

Funny story On one trip, several people we asked "could we join you" said no and one woman had the audacity to say "not dressed like that" we laughed, moved on and took great pleasure in "sailing past her" later fully dressed when she had changed back to casual later that night

Unfortunately there is no consistency between ships

One some it is no shorts on other the CC hostess says don't bother about that, you will have been out all day and will not have had time to change

On some no jeans, in others, comments are made (not by the CC hostess but by the Elite fashion police) if you wear them.

To clarify for anyone who may be confused, the Celebrity dress code says nothing about jeans. i.e. they are perfectly acceptable onboard for smart casual wear. I have worn jeans many times on cruises over the years and have NEVER had anyone say a word. There are fashion police who may not approve, but they seem to be limited to cruise critic message boards, as no one has ever said anything to me ON BOARD, given a dirty look, etc. :)

Regarding jeans, this is the wording for the Cocktail Hour dress code from the Summit last week:

Dress code: Smart Casual & Above: No shorts, T-Shirts, flip-flops, bathing attire, and no rips or holes in jeans.

Edited by galavant3

Funny story On one trip, several people we asked "could we join you" said no and one woman had the audacity to say "not dressed like that" we laughed, moved on and took great pleasure in "sailing past her" later fully dressed when she had changed back to casual later that night

You handled that very well - I'm not sure I'd have been able to bite my tongue

Regarding jeans, this is the wording for the Cocktail Hour dress code from the Summit last week:

Dress code: Smart Casual & Above: No shorts, T-Shirts, flip-flops, bathing attire, and no rips or holes in jeans.

So theoretically, according to whoever on the Summit decided to re-define the dress code, one can wear khakis with rips and holes, just not jeans with rips and holes. :D

Here is what the actual Celebrity website says:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

So again, there is NOTHING mentioned specifically about jeans, so it is perfectly fine to wear jeans, despite what some people may think. Any pants worn, be they jeans, khakis or tuxedo pants, must be free of rips/holes/tears.

Edited by waterbug123

So again, there is NOTHING mentioned specifically about jeans, so it is perfectly fine to wear jeans, despite what some people may think. Any pants worn, be they jeans, khakis or tuxedo pants, must be free of rips/holes/tears.

OK, I attended the Elite drinks on Equinox and there was specific mention contained in the Captain's Club pack that jeans could be worn (within the bounds of smart casual) as long as there were no rips or tears in them.

Phil

The dress for most evenings was very causal a proportion just wore t shirts and shorts even on formal nights.I have decided in future not to pack a suit or DJ as I feel to dressed up in one on so called formal nights.

I hadn't paid to attention to the pioint that the elite event had a dress code.

This summer, I went while in Bermuda, shook hands with the staff on way in and was in Bermuda shorts. Went to the bar had a couple glasses of sparkling wine. Then some others sitting at a table in the corner started pointing at me and waved over the CC hostess, who then came and asked me to leave and come back with pants on. I did as requested and left.

It's more the "fashionistas" as others say that will direct the reality of what's allowed in. And mind you there were but 30 or so folks in the revelations lounge for this, and it was not even formal night.

Not so sure why they are so concerned over an afternoon cocktail hour and enforcing dress codes, but let anyone in the MDR on Formal nights and don't enforce that one...but that's anther thread I suppose.

The only thing consistent, is inconsistency. Expect the worst and be happy with a better outcome I guess.

Edited by cle-guy