• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Moden Cuisine

agnesd

I am sure that some will be disappointed with it as some are disappointed with any venue at sea or on land.

My sense from speaking with many fellow guests on board and from asking how the feedback has been that the vast majority of people enjoy it but some definitely don't.

In the end, the only opinion that counts is your own as food is quite subjective.

Keith

The vast majority of items I tried were terrific. Occasionally, there were a few items not to my liking but the same is true for me on the Classic menu. Overall, I find the Modern cuisine a real complement to the evening dining menu.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

My experience with it was back in May, so it was still relatively young. I get a lot of modern cuisine techniques at restaurants around my home, and am very used to it.

Overall, I was very impressed, and glad Crystal started offering it. Speaking very critically, some of the items were kind of "shadow cheffy" -- something designed by someone else and replicated by a trained crew who is shown how to prepare the items, but doesn't have the same intuition or style themselves. If you looked really critically at a couple of the items, you could see some mistakes made that showed the crew didn't know how to gauge a technique or adjust when something was going off-recipe, but you have to look REALLY deep into the dish and probably have some culinary training yourself to catch that stuff.

My overall impression was that this was a big undertaking to learn and equip for, and I thought the results were excellent for the first few months of the program. I felt like given more time and experience, an in-house expert with a true passion for molecular gastronomy will emerge who will be able to evolve this program the same way Crystal has evolved their in-house menus from the seeds the consultants (like Andre Soltner) brought in during the early 90's.

In the meantime, I wouldn't hesitate to order anything off the modern cuisine menu. Not everything was to my taste personally, but as Nancy said, that's true of the classic items (which I also love overall).

Vince

But as it is possible, you can mix menus according to your taste both 'classic' and 'new' menus. Was this a proper act, I do not know, but at least those in Symphony in July, even recommended to choose from both sides if one did not find something to his/her taste. I did this and nobody cast me evil eyes, and I could enjoy suberb food as always.

Mikko

In general we preferred the modern to the classic. But we rarely ordered everything from one side. The modern dishes tended more toward food that had been cooked and served as opposed to assembled and presented. i get tired of architectural food after about a week.

Vince's "molecular gastronomy" describes it perfectly. While I am not a big fan of any menu that requires a degree in molecular biology/engineering to read/understand what you are ordering, on our recent cruise we did order from both sides of the menu and enjoyed what we received. One caveat to the new cuisine is that, if one has a healthy appetite, the portions are on the small side. We did discover after our cruise that the "Always Available" items (steak/chicken etc), while not offered on the menu, were in fact always available.:D

I found the Modern menu to be interesting. Tended to order a combination every evening from both side of the menu. As with the Traditional menu, I found some items more to my liking that others. All I know is I don't order anything from either side if beets and/or fennel are listed! :eek:

Patty

When I answered earlier I provided my sense was of how the majority of the guests have reacted to the Modern Menu which as I mentioned has been very positive.

As for my wife and myself we have enjoyed many of the items on the menu including the presentation and the taste. We don't have appetizers very often but tried several of them to try them out. We enjoyed most of the items that we tries a great deal with just a couple that didn't work for us but again food is subjective.

We also appreciate how we can select items from both sides of the menu.

It really was time for a change recognizing that several of the items on the traditional menu had been served for close to 20 years or more.

We were on Serenity when they rolled out the new menu (and then a few months after that) and it was amazing from a guest perspective how flawless it was. I am sure it was very challenging for the chefs in the kitchen and for the wait staff at first.

I don't believe there is any dining room at sea that serves to distinct types of cuisine like Crystal now serves.

Keith

We enjoyed items from both sides of the menu on Symphony and Serenity this past summer. The Modern Cuisine items were a refreshing change, but it was also good to know that the old, favorite Classic items were still available.

With a few exceptions, the choices from the Modern Cuisine, were not extreme and contrived, instead, they were inventive and lighter. Presentation was beautiful!

Ricki

Edited by ricki

We just got off 18 days on the Symphony where we sat at a table for 8. The unanimous decision at our table was that no one liked the Modern Cuisine. Actually, we had all cruised on Crystal several times (6 for us) and everyone agreed that the food quality has declined. We were disappointed on most of the nights with one or more dishes from both sides of the menu. That aside, it was Crystal and everything else was, as usual, fabulous.

We are on the Symphony right now, and we were also on the trans-Atlantic. My husband and I are very pleased with the food overall and especially the Modern Cuisine. Three Cheers to Crystal for implementing this. We eat in NYC restaurants a lot and try not to compare food on cruises directly since chefs are feeding hundreds of people simultaneously. Having said that, this food compares very favorably. We order off both sides of the menu but tend to go with the Modern Cuisine for at least at least a couple of courses every time we eat in the MDR. Great addition!

And we were on a Regent cruise in July and think that the food that we have had here on the Symphony is definitely better. The Captain changed in Miami - we were just happy the Head Chef didn't!

Sorry, but I must agree with MainLineLady.

My wife and I spent 21 days on Serenity mid year on back to back med cruises . We have cruised on Crystal many times before. We both thought the

quality of food in the main dining room had declined and were disappointed with the modern menu. Although there are now the two menus, we thought the offerings were in fact more limited than those of four or five years ago as it appeared to us that many of the modern menu items were not of main dinner course size ; it is also interesting that this observation was first made to us by our very Crystal experienced senior waiter whom we know.

That said, we continue to enjoy the Crystal experience and will have more opportunities in the future to re-assess the MDR.

Rob.

Rob,

The portion size of the modern cuisine items is by design, and very typical of molecular gastronomy in the US... Where someone may order an appetizer and entree of the traditional menu, it's not uncommon to make 4 courses off the modern cuisine menu before hitting dessert.

Restaurants that serve similar cuising usually have 6-8 course menus, but Crystal typically serves larger portions of these items than is even typical of the cuisine because they aren't really set up for 8 course dinners and the meals have to pace somewhat similar to the classic side of the menu.

That said, you can only make the modern cuisine items so large before they lose their charm. Nothing good comes of a big bowl of asparagus mousse, for example. You really are supposed to just try more courses.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

I think the key to all of this is like most things food is very subjective.

I know that some people feel that the food is better than its ever been. Others think that overall it is the same and others think it is not as good. There are so many factors that contribute to this from your own expectations, to what it is you ordered and how it was prepared and even that particular item. No different than if you ask do you like a specific restaurant at sea or on land. Some will love it, some says it's so so and others don't like it.

I know this sounds so simple but in the end three is no right or wrong on this. In the end, the only opinion that counts is our ver own.

In our case, we have been very pleased with the modern cuisine. And for us there are a few items that didn't work so well but for us we enjoyed the majority of the items and several were "wows' for us.

Vince has it right about the portion size and why they are the sizes they are. Normally when we order from the traditional side we skipped the appetizer but found with the modern menu that we would go with the appetizer.

We've also found that food is like a good wine. Best to eat it slowly and to savor the flavors/tastes and there is a lot of flavor in the modern cuisine.

Keith

Keith....you are so right. The modern cuisine is one to be met with an open mind! I am looking forward to something with no expectations. To try something new and different than the usual is what fun is all about. If all I have is the steak or a chicken breast....I might as well stay home!

The only complication from my viewpoint is going for appetizer then move to soup or salad.....I am then too full for the main meal:p

The bottom line is.....we want to try it all....good , bad or indifferent!

Keith....you are so right. The modern cuisine is one to be met with an open mind! I am looking forward to something with no expectations. To try something new and different than the usual is what fun is all about. If all I have is the steak or a chicken breast....I might as well stay home!

The only complication from my viewpoint is going for appetizer then move to soup or salad.....I am then too full for the main meal:p

The bottom line is.....we want to try it all....good , bad or indifferent!

That's why we like that portions are small to reasonable. One of our pleasures is to enjoy several courses and this would be impossible with the American steakhouse tren to 2 lb salads and 18 oz (and larger!) steaks, etc. since one can always ask for another serving I can't understand the occasional complaint that the portions are too small.

That's why we like that portions are small to reasonable. One of our pleasures is to enjoy several courses and this would be impossible with the American steakhouse tren to 2 lb salads and 18 oz (and larger!) steaks, etc. since one can always ask for another serving I can't understand the occasional complaint that the portions are too small.

...or if you are a "hearty" eater request a double or large portion. I am personally grateful for smaller portions. Last night we dined in one of our area's top restaurants where tables are very close. The couple next to us ate more food (it is family style dining) than the four of us could consume. They were generous in proportion folks. People vary in needs. Just let your wait staff know.

We too appreciate the smaller portions.

As mentioned by Vince, you can have half portions of the traditional items.

Speaking off small portions, often in Prego they will have an additional pasta entree which you can have as an appetizer or an entree. Just so we can get a little tasting we will sometimes ask for a very small appetizer portion and we even describe how much (or in our case how little) we want and that works out perfectly for us.

The good news is to me it's better to have less knowing you can always order more but this way we won't waste food.

To Mikes's point and Ilene's point I am always amazed about the portions of many land based restaurants. I know it's about charging more and I remember this starting in the late 1980's. I look at what is served and I say there is more calories in many entrees on land than one should have for the entire day. Oh well.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

We too appreciate the smaller portions.

As mentioned by Vince, you can have half portions of the traditional items.

Speaking off small portions, often in Prego they will have an additional pasta entree which you can have as an appetizer or an entree. Just so we can get a little tasting we will sometimes ask for a very small appetizer portion and we even describe how much (or in our case how little) we want and that works out perfectly for us.

The good news is to me it's better to have less knowing you can always order more but this way we won't waste food.

To Mikes's point and Ilene's point I am always amazed about the portions of many land based restaurants. I know it's about charging more and I remember this starting in the late 1980's. I look at what is served and I say there is more calories in many entrees on land than one should have for the entire day. Oh well.

Keith

Portion sizes often are just plain ridiculous on land. We ate at Maestro's when it opened here. We each ordered a wedge salad and crab legs, with a creamed corn side dish. All was delicious but geez . . . Each salad was TWO large iceberg wedges with lots of tomatoes, onion and dressing. Why two wedges? The corn was wonderful and 90% of it went home with us. Then they brought a cake on the house and that went home, too. Thankfully we didn't order an app. The steaks started at just under a pound and went up, way up. I would have liked to try the veal chop, but a double-cut veal chop is just absurd. Oh well.