Not In The Mood!

karinad

We're 2 weeks away from our cruise and I'm not feeling it! All year I plan and look forward and now I'm feeling weighed down! I start thinking of all that has to be done and the "what if's".

Our Roll Call is not very active at all, so, trying to share a little excitement is useless! DH is no help. He gets ready the day before. I start to even think of that awful feeling when it's over and that really brings me down! Time goes so fast that I wish it would just slow down!

Help!:o

You'll get there...I always get a little bit like that before a big trip. My husband and I are taking a 12 night the first of Nov. and now that it is getting near, I'm worrying about all the things that might not get done. Just trying to prepare so that we can take care of a few things from there if necessary and go and have a great time.

Just get ready the best you can! You'll have a great time once you're on board!!! Relax and enjoy!!

I have always been an optimist.

Yes, there is plenty of things that usually need to get done before any trip. However, it will all get done. There are probably 10 people you personally know that would love to be going on a cruise soon and cannot. Look at your good fortunes, you have your DH, the means to go on the cruise, and are healthy enough to travel. Check off one task at a time, and soon you will enjoying the ocean air and will be laughing about all of the pre-trip stress.

I actually have a term for the two weeks before a vacation-

PRE-VACATION GLOW!!!

Yes, I know I think about what needs to get done and work at the same time. but what I forget I can buy~~I am going alone and love, love it. I went on the message boards and made plans with others~~I will meet them on the ship. I am going October 27th on the Gem for 11 days~~heaven~~I even ordered Roses for my cabin and Bon Voyage decorations also. I have a balcony all to myself and $250.00 on-board credit! Think positive!

We're 2 weeks away from our cruise and I'm not feeling it! All year I plan and look forward and now I'm feeling weighed down! I start thinking of all that has to be done and the "what if's".

Our Roll Call is not very active at all, so, trying to share a little excitement is useless! DH is no help. He gets ready the day before. I start to even think of that awful feeling when it's over and that really brings me down! Time goes so fast that I wish it would just slow down!

Think about the point you get past check in and first see the ship up close and personal and then walking aboard and hearing the music and that feeling of knowing "THIS IS GOING TO BE FREAKING AWESOME." If thinking about that doesn't cheer you up, I don't know what will. ;)

Has a Roll Call ever been exciting ?

The best meet and mingle we ever did was on Epic when she first started sailing but that was only because someone managed to organise a cabin crawl to see the different types of rooms and suites which on a new revolutionary design ship was interesting. Other than that it would have been much the same as all the other meet and mingles.

We don't even bother now.

That's about the time I dream that I went on a cruise and forgot to bring my luggage. No joke. If that happened, you would still have a good time and not have to shop for groceries, cook or do dishes or make any hard decisions once you get on board. Its going to be wonderful.

Edited by getupgo

Sorry, I just don't get all the angst. It's just a cruise - your'e not going to Mars!

Hey, all you need is your tickets/boarding passes for the flight(s) and cruise, ID, passport, cash, credit cards, and Meds if you need them. Throw some clothes in a suitcase and your's ready to go. If you forget something you can buy it on the ship or in port. ;) There you go. Your'e all done. Now don't think about the cruise again until the night before you leave.:D

I get the same way. I am already worrying about kenneling my two boxers and my cruise isn't until next May!! :eek: I also always worry about my dd and family members we leave behind. My dh is no help because he is just sooooo excited and he thinks I'm crazy for worrying so much. I feel the same about the cruise ending, etc etc. These are all normal feelings and like others have posted once you see the ship and board you will be like YAY, LET THE FUN BEGIN.

I hear you loud and clear.

Except thinking about it being over, I save that for the day before disembarking!

No whatif's either for me.

Thinking about getting everything done for home while we are gone is daunting!

Everyone has different responsibilities and some have a few & some plenty.

Our youngest of 6, at 22 is autism spectrum, so planning required there.

I am the sole caretaker for my 83 yr old mother & must plan for her.

The cat, mail, newspaper, job, deliveries, cruise doc's/paperwork, plans during cruise, Etc....etc......etc.....

Like someone already said, take it one thing at a time & you'll get it done!

A list may be helpful, also. This has become more & more important.

If it ain't on the list, it may not happen for me!

Happy sailing!

I felt the same way! We booked 19 months in advance. I loved the anticipation and tried to soak up as much info as possible. But in the last few weeks before, I really started getting nervous of all the what ifs (will my girls get seasick since it's their first cruise? Will I since my last cruise was 10 years ago? Will they like the kids club? Will my daughter have a severe asthma attack? Anaphylaxis? Will I forget something major? Will I have time to gather everything we need with so much going on right now (first month of school, all my volunteering) we packed WAY too much and while it fit in our suite, I hated packing everything back up, at the end of the cruise, realizing how much we didn't use!

Funny thing is, I read so much info on these boards, my husband and I were shocked I couldn't find my way around or be able to answer the questions he had! Lol :confused:

You're going to have a great time! Just make sure you pack the most important things (meds) and go from there. You only have to worry about things for yourself. I was so worried I'd forget something for my daughters or husband and they'd be upset.

I feel the same way before every vacation, particularly cruises because of all the research and planning. I usually would just as soon skip the whole thing by the time the cruise day hits. For me, that feeling lasts until about a little after I have checked in the cabin and had a chance to walk around the ship and get a drink--then I start enjoying the vacation and by the time it is over I am ready to plan the next one.

We're 2 weeks away from our cruise and I'm not feeling it! Help!:o

I'm also 2 weeks away from a cruise and I've been doing the happy dance around the house every time I think about it.

Go ahead, do a few little steps, even if you don't feel like it right now. Repeat "In just ___ days, I'm going to be outta here and on a beautiful ship, without a care in the world!"

Keep counting down. Don't think of anything beyond that.

Before you know it, you'll be doing the happy dance for real. And your DH will think you've lost your mind. But whatever... :D

Take every prep step that brings you closer to cruising one at a time. I use a checklist, and it feels GREAT every time I check something off.

The more you go away, the easier it becomes. I keep the "Hold Mail" cards on hand...just fill it out and stick it in the mailbox....easy! The newspaper is simply a phone call. All of the things you worry about actually take less time to do than it takes to worry about NOT getting them done!

You're not going to be gone for months...anything you don't get to BEFORE you leave will be there when you get back!

Edited by cb at sea

The more you go away, the easier it becomes. I keep the "Hold Mail" cards on hand...just fill it out and stick it in the mailbox....easy! The newspaper is simply a phone call. All of the things you worry about actually take less time to do than it takes to worry about NOT getting them done!

You're not going to be gone for months...anything you don't get to BEFORE you leave will be there when you get back!

I can do both of those on line too - SUPER easy! ;)

I am 4 weeks from cruising and kind of feeling the same way. I think I am dreading the "getting off the ship" feeling already because our last cruise was a 4 day and it happened way to soon last time. At least this one is a 7 day!!:D

I do hate that feeling of being a bit of a "head case" and I know I put it all on myself, but it is mostly on me. DH just basically shows up for it! I do appreciate every ones input. Yes, the stress does lift once on the ship. If we went away more then once a year I'm sure it would be easier because you have it all down.

I do consider ourselves lucky to go away, but, this is ALL we do. We don't go to the movies, drink, smoke, go out to eat, etc. It was supposed to be easier when you get older and no kids to support, but it has gotten worse, as I'm sure a lot of us know! All the more reason the get excited:confused:

I do hate that feeling of being a bit of a "head case" and I know I put it all on myself, but it is mostly on me. DH just basically shows up for it! I do appreciate every ones input. Yes, the stress does lift once on the ship. If we went away more then once a year I'm sure it would be easier because you have it all down.

I do consider ourselves lucky to go away, but, this is ALL we do. We don't go to the movies, drink, smoke, go out to eat, etc. It was supposed to be easier when you get older and no kids to support, but it has gotten worse, as I'm sure a lot of us know! All the more reason the get excited:confused:

I know how you feel. I am so afraid I am going to forget something or something will go wrong. We had luggage stolen in Hawaii just after our last cruise so I am doubly tense over upcoming trips. My hubs is like yours. Packs the night before. Leaves all the trip planning to me.

Trying to get my head on straight for the next trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My stress will be gone the moment the ocean massages me. I actually not going to be excited until the day I'm on the ship -still have workdays; irate boss that doesn't like it when people take the hour off for lunch let alone vacation; sick people who can't cover their mouths; people who like to push&shove instead of saying excuse, Thanksgiving weekend and family melodrama that will surely happen. Lets not forget the long lines at embark time, lost luggage and muster drill stampede - I'll feel better later that evening, just not right now, still have a long way off from boarding the ship.[emoji22]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I understand completely how you feel. An active and friendly roll Call helps me keep excited about the trip and not focused on the details of packing and securing our home, getting care for the cat, etc.

We are cruising in less than a month and two nights ago I had a DREAM in which I woke up the day of the cruise at 11 a.m. (I never sleep that late) and realized I was going to cruise that day. I grabbed an overnight bag (as our house is very small we leave our suitcases in storage) and put in a few short sleeve tops, undies, and 2 pairs of pants, along with my CPAP, and my passport. Never mind that this would not fit in my bag it was a dream.

At the last minute I grabbed a light lacy sweater and drove to the port. I had to park in a strange location and take a bus to the ship. I was so excited talking to the other passengers on the bus, until I realized they were talking about Alaska. I realized I had not brought any long sleeved items but I thought I was going to warm ports, the passengers said the cruise line changed all the ports to Alaska. I said, oh well, I guess I will have to buy some clothes on the ship, I turned to tell DH that I did not have time to pack for him and he wasn't there. I had forgot him at home. That is when I saw the ship and became so excited. I woke up before I had the chance to board the ship, but I realized I was happy to board the ship, no matter how unprepared I am.

We leave on Saturday on the Jewel and the last few days (up until yesterday), I was the same way. I think we all reach a "planning overload" and you begin to think "it'll just be easier to stay home". Step away from it for awhile. Just put it all aside and think about and do other things. You'll be amazed that when you come back to it, the excitement will be there again.

I have literally driven myself crazy second guessing the logistics of getting from the airport to the hotel (shuttle) and then the car rental return place (not airport property) to the port (cab). I work from home so I finally just put it all away and did some work. About 24 hours later, all that pre-cruise excitement was back. Now it just can't get here fast enough! Hang in there. A week from now, you should be singing a different tune.

We are cruising in less than a month and two nights ago I had a DREAM in which I woke up the day of the cruise at 11 a.m. (I never sleep that late) and realized I was going to cruise that day.

Haha, sounds like one of my crazy dreams! Way to roll with it - Alaska in your flip flops!!

I thought I was the only one with that "it'll just be easier to stay home" feeling! My DH just pretty much shows up, too, but he does drive us to the airport -- which I would never do!

He reminds me to smile and be nice to the TSA dunderheads so I won't be arrested for disorderly conduct. And he carries a lot of my stuff! So, if I have to do all the planning and make sure we have all the necessary docs, etc., that's OK. And we always have a good time on a cruise.:):):)