Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

While the possibilities are endless, the probabilities mean none of my plans will change.

Of course I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time.;)

I like the way you worded this. :)

I like the way you worded this. :)

Thanks Sail. I think the possibilities vs probabilities debate could rage on forever- both views have merit but at the end of the day- each person has to make that decision for themselves. We all have that risk line that we don't cross.

For me personally at this time Ebola is not one of them.

Good for you!

Bon Voyage and happy sailing.....

Bye Bye.

Note to self: I wish I had included a poll when I started this thread.

I think that would have been a great idea, with just two options - yes or no, and no comments. It would have put paid to all the scare-mongering. We should be dealing with the science, not the speculations and emotions. So my answer is a resounding - NO!

No dignity. A toilet that didn't flush. No running water. No shower. No access to her personal property/luggage. No heat in the tent the first night...... Hardly a way to thank a volunteer nurse who risked her life to care for others which seems to be encouraged by our government. They want Ebola stopped in West Africa and not imported to North America ..... as do we all. We need those health care heroes to do that work for us.

As to whether Ebola would influence my decision to cruise, this is another 'angle' though perhaps in the extreme.

Were there to be a case of Suspected Possible Ebola on a cruise ship, would they quarantine all guests for 21 days until they knew whether we had contracted the disease? Would they set up a series of tents in FLL to house us all while they fought it out if appropriate or not? :eek: I admit that is pushing the envelope but frankly, it wouldn't be the first time officials either over-reacted or acted inappropriately.

Hi Sail. I haven't been able to find the US Coast Guard protocol for a suspected or confirmed case of Ebola on a cruise ship entering US Ports. But I did find this http://www.uscg.mil/auxiliary/publications/alcoast/alcoast-159-03.asp

While that relates specifically to SARS, that page was updated 6/3/2014 Perhaps such a directive will be issued in regards to Ebola.

As we have seen, different ports in different countries, and different States within the US have various protocols, and those rules seem to be changing. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what would happen if a passenger on a cruise ship showed symptoms of Ebola after having met the criteria for being a high risk. I can't imagine it would go well, depending on the nearest port and that port's rules. I don't think cruise lines can tell passengers what would happen in the unfortunate event of a high risk passenger exhibiting Ebola symptoms because of the variables. Perhaps that is why cruise lines have instituted what they believe is an effective screening for Ebola prior to boarding.

In response to the OP's question - I have no cruises planned at the current time (which is rare for me), but the decision not to plan a cruise was reached long before Ebola became an issue. Regards, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I must object to repeated use of the word "scare-mongering" when all I see is concerned passengers asking legitimate questions.

Why are questions met with such vitirol ? -S.

Vitriol? No, more a concern for those that have enough fear in their lives and don't need post after post of unscientific data. Vitriol is nasty, poisonous. That word is hardly that.

Vitriol? No, more a concern for those that have enough fear in their lives and don't need post after post of unscientific data. Vitriol is nasty, poisonous. That word is hardly that.

Hi Lizzie. Just a suggestion, but if you read a post that contains "unscientific data", refute it by quoting a reputable source. Wouldn't that make for an intelligent discussion? I agree with you that vitriol is nasty - it does nothing to move the conversation forward. It seems to me that fear is a normal reaction in some circumstances. Better to discuss fears openly with people that have an understanding of those concerns, in my opinion.

Happily, if you don't want to read about the concerns expressed on this thread, and engage in the conversation, you can avoid the discussion entirely.

Regards, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Much of what we call "science" is speculation. ;)

This is not a new disease - first identified in 1976 - and there is a lot of medical knowledge about it but there are people that don't wan't to believe the science and insert speculation and misinformation into the discussion.

Hi Lizzie. Just a suggestion, but if you read a post that contains "unscientific data", refute it by quoting a reputable source. Wouldn't that make for an intelligent discussion? I agree with you that vitriol is nasty - it does nothing to move the conversation forward. It seems to me that fear is a normal reaction in some circumstances. Better to discuss fears openly with people that have an understanding of those concerns, in my opinion.

Happily, if you don't want to read about the concerns expressed on this thread, and engage in the conversation, you can avoid the discussion entirely.

Regards, -S.

And the same goes for you if you do not like the concerns I and others have expressed on this thread. What you are saying is we have no right to engage in this discussion because we disagree with you and others with your opinion.

Somebody posted this on Facebook and I thought it is helpful, a video explaining Ebola:

Great video....again spells out who is really at risk for catching the virus. Got to love the clips from the main stream media. Less than 60 days out and not going to change my cruise plans. Now back to making my weapons for the zombie apocalypse ;)

Thanks for posting the video link.

Can I add a poll to this tread?

Not sure a poll would do much good to help.

The concept of Risk is wrapped up to two strong factors that can be the same but they can be polar opposites too just depends on the topic and the individual.

Fact and Belief.

If someone says they believe something to be true all the scientific facts in the world will not shift their opinion as it is a belief and you can not argue a belief. It is that fundamental. I learned that when preparing for my dissertation years ago...ie. I was told by my advisor that if i was backed into a corner say it is a belief I hold and they can't ask further questions and the issue will be dropped.

I believed growing up that California was going to slide into the Pacific Ocean as that is what I was told. I looked at maps and I didn't understand why anyone would live there. 40+ years later it has had a few shakes but it is still part of the continent. But back then I believed it and I wouldn't go. I knew one woman in my teens (mother of American friends) that chose divorce rather than moving to San Francisco as she believed it to be true.

I go back to we all make up our our own minds what is right for us and our famlies.

I have no plans to change our travel but we have time yet. But I am watching developments. I am not as brave as some who would trave to the affected region right now but I will fly and I will cruise until the CDC or Health Canada tells me not to.

Edited by 1of4

REMINDER

Please reread the initial post. This thread is about whether the ebola situation will have any impact on your future cruise plans.

Please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Once again, please stay on topic.

Thanks.

Once again, please stay on topic.

Thanks.

OP is only asking for a yes or no reply whether ebola will impact my cruising. My answer is 'no'.

I apologize. I didn't realize it was a poll requiring a yes or no answer. :o -S.

Host Walt, I need clarification here...am I permitted to reply to a post, or am I limited to a yes or no answer to the OP's original post? I don't want to violate any rules. Thank you. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Host Walt, I need clarification here...am I permitted to reply to a post, or am I limited to a yes or no answer to the OP's original post? I don't want to violate any rules. Thank you. -S.

Please refer to our posting guidelines to see what can and cannot be included in any posts made on Cruise Critic.

It doesn't make me want to cancel travel plans. If anything, it makes me eager to do more that is meaningful and enjoyable with loved ones, and that includes cruising.

I live/work near NYC, and suspect that if there would be a massive outbreak in my part of the world, my personal exposure risk is higher in day-to-day life than it would be on a cruise ship. Also, I was on my way to 1 WTC on 9/11 when it was struck by a plane. If anything, I'm even less afraid of death after that experience because I've viewed every single moment since then as a precious gift.

Worry is borrowed trouble. I have plenty of real troubles, and don't need to borrow any more.

It doesn't make me want to cancel travel plans. If anything, it makes me eager to do more that is meaningful and enjoyable with loved ones, and that includes cruising.

I live/work near NYC, and suspect that if there would be a massive outbreak in my part of the world, my personal exposure risk is higher in day-to-day life than it would be on a cruise ship. Also, I was on my way to 1 WTC on 9/11 when it was struck by a plane. If anything, I'm even less afraid of death after that experience because I've viewed every single moment since then as a precious gift.

Worry is borrowed trouble. I have plenty of real troubles, and don't need to borrow any more.

You have a very positive attitude which, I am sure, serves you well.

My son put things in perspective for me with regard to hesitating to travel because of the threat of terrorism----"Mom, it's a target rich environment ".

The more you think about that the better your outlook becomes.

You have a very positive attitude which, I am sure, serves you well.

My son put things in perspective for me with regard to hesitating to travel because of the threat of terrorism----"Mom, it's a target rich environment ".

The more you think about that the better your outlook becomes.

In other words, it's the world we live in. We have to go about our daily lives or the world will be worse off for it...I.e. the economy, stock markets, etc.