Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

1 of 4 (sorry, forgot to quote): Very well stated. Criticising others for things they have NOT said, or attributing words to them, is out of line too, and using it to further spread fear and panic is deplorable. But, everyone can state their opinion, just don't twist the facts.

Still puzzling over the Asia reference.

Edited by Lizzie68

1 of 4 (sorry, forgot to quote): Very well stated. Criticising others for things they have NOT said, or attributing words to them, is out of line too, and using it to further spread fear and panic is deplorable. But, everyone can state their opinion, just don't twist the facts.

Still puzzling over the Asia reference.

OK... here is a fact. RCL, CCL & NCL stocks have all dropped in the past 30-days and opened lower this morning.

Now a question.... Why?

OK... here is a fact. RCL, CCL & NCL stocks have all dropped in the past 30-days and opened lower this morning.

Now a question.... Why?

Because a) the markets don't like unknown situations and b) many people panic unnecessarily and cancel (or don't book) cruises. Stocks don't necessarily take account of facts but of the market's perception of the facts.

The question is not so much why stocks are down as whether these feelings of "panic" that are whipped up by the media have any real chance of realization.

It seems you started this thread disingenuously -- it initially seemed you were asking a question and seeking input, whereas now it seems you are pretty much convinced. :rolleyes:

I have traveled throughout the 2000s -- lucky enough to take advantage of the great air, hotel and travel deals available in the couple of years after 9/11, and have read and posted on these boards through similar "panic" attacks of cruisers reacting to the predictions of widespread epidemics of swine flu, bird flu, SARS and H1N1 flu. I wish I could call up some of the posts in the past where cruisers made similar predictions of the demise of the cruise industry during each of these events...

Now a question.... Why?

The broader market is down in the last month as well. The Dow Industrials, NASDAQ composite, and pretty much every sector average has shed value lately. It's a market correction and is in no way isolated to the cruise lines or travel segment.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntobey/2014/10/13/stock-market-corrections-step-1-is-complete-now-to-step-2/

Also, Ebola isn't impacting our travel plans.

Edited by POA1

Because a) the markets don't like unknown situations and b) many people panic unnecessarily and cancel (or don't book) cruises. Stocks don't necessarily take account of facts but of the market's perception of the facts.

The question is not so much why stocks are down as whether these feelings of "panic" that are whipped up by the media have any real chance of realization.

It seems you started this thread disingenuously -- it initially seemed you were asking a question and seeking input, whereas now it seems you are pretty much convinced. :rolleyes:

I have traveled throughout the 2000s -- lucky enough to take advantage of the great air, hotel and travel deals available in the couple of years after 9/11, and have read and posted on these boards through similar "panic" attacks of cruisers reacting to the predictions of widespread epidemics of swine flu, bird flu, SARS and H1N1 flu. I wish I could call up some of the posts in the past where cruisers made similar predictions of the demise of the cruise industry during each of these events...

Right on!

Roy

Right! And there is a simple known cure. Clean water.

You can be serious! I think you are just trying to be argumentative. If you believe that everyone in the world has access to clean drinking water then you really need to travel more and not less.

How is it simple to get clean water to arid communities around the world?

The second nurse who has now been diagnosed with ebola after caring for Mr. Dunken in Texas flew on Frontier Airlines, Flight 1193, Cleveland to Dallas, the day before she reported her symptoms. That commercial aircraft has been taken out of service. CDC is admitting they have not adequately protected the health care workers involved and ultimately that means the rest of the traveling public. Should that nurse have been permitted to fly commercially less than a week after the passing of her ebola patient? Isn't 21 day quarantine appropriate in such circumstance? Is this another aspect of the head in sand argument?

Can we depend upon those agencies who are reporting to us and presumably efficiently protecting us?

Edited by sail7seas

Yes I'm very concerned. Our next cruise is in 30 days, and flying US airways.. I don't want to jump the gun however we're taking a couple of precautions. Surgical masks for the plane and Clorox wipes to wipe down the luggage and cabin. I don't know if it will protect us but it will help with the anxiety. So sad :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Thought-provoking thread. Agree that everyone must do their own risk assessment and follow what is comfortable for them. I'm from a small town in Colorado that has had an outbreak of enterovirus, and Colorado has been a "hot spot" for cases with associated paralysis. There seems to be little concern about this, even in our local media.

It swept through our high school, and my son caught it. (He's fine now.) Should we have kept him home from school and sports since August? It was a risk we took.

On our cruise to Norway on the Ryndam in July, we were informed of increased security at ports because of a terrorist threat. There were armed guards at Honningsvag, of all places, so it seems that there are no "safe" ports these days.

So, of course, much of life is a risk, and I don't want to teach my children to hide from life. However, before our cruise this winter, we will be trying to assess the risk factors. And that's all we can really do.

Where are these new cases going to come from? The poorest parts of Africa, not in the USA.

YES< the USA.

The latest case diagnosed is a second nurse who had been caring for Mr. Dunken in the Texas Hospital.

The day before she reported symptoms, she had flown Frontier Airlines, Cleveland to Dallas.

Frontier Airlines has now put out request all 132 passengers from that plane contact them. Less than 24 hours after the now ill nurse reported symptoms she passed through the airport, may have used the rest room, might have sneezed on chair arm, may have had a vague headache or insignificant muscle ache.... maybe she had some early symptoms that she either ignored or didn't notice? Maybe she was already infectious?

For the first time in over a dozen years I have no cruise booked; and I don't think I'll hurry to book one.

While working I flew frequently around North America; but I'm now retired, and I will also avoid flying in the near future. I would have severe concerns if I were still working and had work commitments around the continent ---- just sayin'!! Strangely though, if this had occurred 20 years ago, I'd probably not have been nearly as concerned as I am now ----- I have become much more cautious!

But, each to his own level of concern ---- I wouldn't presume to impose my nervous concerns on others. Thankfully, I can now drive south for the winter!!

Now a question.... Why?

UK FTSE has dropped drastically today too. Nothing to do with Ebola though.

With the number of guns in your country I know what I would worry about most.:cool:

I just heard the nurse who flew Frontier Airline had low grade fever while aboard.

How did CDC not have travel limited for those who were involved in patient care for the Ebola case?

Evidently they did. In the last CDC interview I heard CDC said that those who were to monitor their temperature such as the hospital crew in Dallas could use private transportation such as their own car to go out, but NOT to use public transportation. It's hard to put all the blame on CDC for problems when Emory and Omaha hospitals have had no problems at all and every problem that has happened has been in Dallas.

I was so surprised last night when I suggested we buy airline tickets to FLL for a holiday cruise and not book the ship till the last minute looking for a deal. If the ships were full, that would be fine and we would enjoy Florida sunshine!

The surprise was when DW said, I prefer to not travel until we learn more about the Ebola situation.

Anyone else amending their travel plans?

Not at all. There are so many risks in life. We try and take reasonable precautions and drive on.

I just heard this nurse who flew on Frontier Airline went to Cleveland to work on her wedding plans. Surely she knew she could be violating instructions and on top of it, IF the report I just heard is true, she had a low grade fever when she boarded that flight to Dallas.

Apparently, CDC played the 'honor system' and peoples' health and very lives could have been risked. They had no security who could have assured compliance?? First time they blew it was bad enough but it seems to be compounding.

I found this thread interesting to read today...from the start to here. In the beginning many posters here questioned what travelers were worried about.

The government has not handled this well, by stepping in too late and like some here, poo-pooing the idea that the US was threatened. Unfortunately with that attitude, the precautions and policies weren't taken seriously. And now another nurse, after traveling on public transportation is infected and could have spread it more. THe airline now is contacting everyone on that plane.

We have a trip planned in Jan. DH just this morning asked about insurance. But without "for any reason" coverage, we wouldn't be able to get money back just out of a fear of getting sick.....unless the government called for a stop in travel.

OK, I'm out. Canceling my January cruise. Not the time to travel for me. IMO this is going to get worse before it gets better and it's only a matter of time before it spreads from Africa to Asia and then it's going to really spread.

I've never canceled a cruise before and in fact sailed happily into a hurricane, last ship to leave the port of NY during Irene, ship half empty. No worries. This is on a whole different level and too many cruisers arrive via air.

I'm still booking for next summer but will hold off until I see which way things go.