Megan's Bay vs. Coki Beach

reefgeek83

I'm trying to decide which beach to go to, and since we've never been there I thought I'd ask here and see what is a good option. There is a group of 8 that includes 4 kids, looking to play in the water and do some snorkeling. Hopefully get away from the crowds of the cruise ships, yes I know its going to be crowded no matter where we go. That is why I was leaning towards Coki beach, but which one would you choose?

Or is there another option I am missing?

For snorkeling with amenities, you have 3 main choices - Coki, Sapphire, & Secret Harbor. All are on the East End of STT, $10pp taxi and 20 - 25 ride. All offer amenities as well as good snorkeling off the beach.

Coki will be the busiest and have the liveliets vibe but has several vendors renting snorkel gear and chairs and selling food.

Sapphire and Secret Harbor are home to condo properties and are a bit quieter. Sapphire is the larger beach of the 3, and offers a reef as well as a sea grass area. Secret Harbor is smaller like Coki but offers a beach restaurant rather than vendor shacks. Also a dive center (like Sapphire).

Here's a thread with descriptions and opinions on these and other beaches, it's gotten a bit long but may be helpful -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

I would definitely go to Coki. It has some amazing snorkeling and a great beach.

Check my signature line for a complete review of our day there back in May and it has TONS of pictures which will show you what the snorkeling and beach is like. :)

I would definitely go to Coki. It has some amazing snorkeling and a great beach.

Good recommendation for a family w/ kids, just be aware Coki is the busiest beach because it is very small. So not the best choice for getting away from the crowds of the cruise ships, but the most popular choice for a nice beach and snorkeling.

Good recommendation for a family w/ kids, just be aware Coki is the busiest beach because it is very small. So not the best choice for getting away from the crowds of the cruise ships, but the most popular choice for a nice beach and snorkeling.

Agreed, but the OP also said Magens, which is also one of the busiest since this is where most of the cruise ship passengers go and what most people (not on these boards) would go to because they are probably not aware of Coki (but could be aware of Coral World). :) Neither place OP ask about is going to be a "get away from the crowds of the cruise ships" place.

Agreed, but the OP also said Magens, which is also one of the busiest since this is where most of the cruise ship passengers go and what most people (not on these boards) would go to because they are probably not aware of Coki (but could be aware of Coral World). :) Neither place OP ask about is going to be a "get away from the crowds of the cruise ships" place.

We eliminated Magens earlier because snorkeling was a requisite. I love Coki and think it's the nicest beach on STT. But it does get quite busy both because it's a very small bay, and a very popular option for snorkeling because of the vendors there. But we love going there when no ships are in or after the crowds have left. So it just depends on the vibe you want.

Personally, for a day away from the crowds with snorkeling we'd head for Sapphire because we've never seen it overcrowded there when staying there. That doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes get crowded, but in speaking with owners there it hasn't been as busy with cruisers since Dive In re-opened. Another option is Cowpet Bay or Hull Bay, but with kids you want more comfortable amenities/options. Coki works well, you do see more families going there than Sapphire and SH I think...

Magen's Bay is absolutely gorgeous! Be sure to see it from the higher elevation first. I have never been to the other beaches you mention but I don't think you will be disappointed with Magen. Hills on both sides surrounding the cove, pelicans diving in the water, rocks on the left side, cactus. We went twice in October with no crowds.

I'm trying to decide which beach to go to, and since we've never been there I thought I'd ask here and see what is a good option. There is a group of 8 that includes 4 kids, looking to play in the water and do some snorkeling. Hopefully get away from the crowds of the cruise ships, yes I know its going to be crowded no matter where we go. That is why I was leaning towards Coki beach, but which one would you choose?

Or is there another option I am missing?

Sapphire will be less crowded than Coki and has better snorkeling than Magen's. IMO, it is also the prettiest beach on the island. Plus there is plenty of shade for the kids.

Avid Snorker here. If you can get over to St. John, Waterlemon Cay is the best. One of the best Ive ever been too. If not, in St Thomas, Secret Harbor has some nice areas with good schools of fish. Coki is, IMO, ok. Not great, not bad.

For the novice traveler or one more comfortable visiting the more touristy areas not great options. But the more adventurous can and do go to these more remote areas either by renting a car or coordinating with a driver. Same on Tortola, some prefer that enough to make it happen.

It is much easier when on a land vacation of course.

Possible to do both? Or better to just pick one. Magen's Bay looks so beautiful This is our 1st visit to St. Thomas (but hopefully not our last). I think our 9 yr old would enjoy Coral World at Coki Beach too.

Here's what we are thinking....Ship docks 8am, off ship right away. Taxi to Magen's Bay (before it gets crowded) arrive 9am for about 1-1/2 hours. Taxi to Coki Beach and Coral World, arrive by 11am, leave by taxi around 1:30pm/2pm to go straight back to ship. Ship sail away is 4pm so must be on the ship by 3pm.

It can be very difficult to get cabs going and returning to/from Hull Bay and Waterlemon. The drivers prefer to go to popular beaches to increase the possibility of getting passengers both ways.

Also no chair rentals and no food and drink at Waterlemon.

SeaWatcher: IMHO, pick one. If you spend too much time packing and unpacking, riding on a taxi, etc. you will not maximize your fun. I would pick Coral World/Coki because of your little SeaWatcher.:)

You can't do it all, all at once.

Thank you. Tough choices. Good excuse to plan another cruise! Both seem like great beaches.

It can be very difficult to get cabs going and returning to/from Hull Bay and Waterlemon. The drivers prefer to go to popular beaches to increase the possibility of getting passengers both ways.

Also no chair rentals and no food and drink at Waterlemon.

I stand by my earlier post. Hull and Waterlemon fit one of the OP's requests (no crowds). For a more crowded option with more amenities and regular taxi traffic any of the East End beaches will work.

SeaWatcher: IMHO, pick one. If you spend too much time packing and unpacking, riding on a taxi, etc. you will not maximize your fun. I would pick Coral World/Coki because of your little SeaWatcher.:)

You can't do it all, all at once.

Agreed, and Coki is actually one of the nicest beaches on STT. Enjoy your day there! :)

Edited by blue_water

I've read posts that say Waterlemon is getting crowded, too. It's a small beach. September and October are the best months to visit if you want to avoid crowds. The more people rave online about an uncrowded beach, it will soon become crowded.

The more people rave online about an uncrowded beach, it will soon become crowded.

Very true, although the lack of amenities helps preserve those uncrowded conditions. These lesser-traveled beaches are not out of reach, they simply require a little more effort and planning by folks who don't want the higher volume options.

Possible to do both? Or better to just pick one. Magen's Bay looks so beautiful This is our 1st visit to St. Thomas (but hopefully not our last). I think our 9 yr old would enjoy Coral World at Coki Beach too.

Here's what we are thinking....Ship docks 8am, off ship right away. Taxi to Magen's Bay (before it gets crowded) arrive 9am for about 1-1/2 hours. Taxi to Coki Beach and Coral World, arrive by 11am, leave by taxi around 1:30pm/2pm to go straight back to ship. Ship sail away is 4pm so must be on the ship by 3pm.

Its doable - but you may have a hard time tearing yourself away Magens once there - be sure to budget for the entry fee if you're going by taxi and not included in a tour- as it is a state park there are entry fees at Magen. If you want to snorkel - I think I would go to Sapphire instead based on recommendations here.

For the original poster: Coki is a local favourite with lots of fish for snorkelers (right beside coral world). Magens Bay has a more "state park" feel with a very large beautiful beach, gentle waves. I have been to both - Coki is a bit more "native" (when I visited it was crowded and lots of locals so the facilities were not the cleanest - take some wetwipes/disinfectant with you if KWIM) the beach is small and very crowded - but the snorkelling was amazing - there are fish at knee height - so great for kids who want to see fish and not go too deep. Magens is more "church picnic/state park" feel with a great walking beach and is kept immaculate (with an entry fee) and didn't feel as crowded the day I visited. Either offer a unique experience and I enjoyed both for different reasons.