• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Free Drink Package vs. Elite Cocktail Party

curtdesilets

I notice that almost every Celebrity cruise offer now throws in that Classic Beverage Package, which you apparently can upgrade to Premium for a mere $11.50 per night.

We were so proud and happy and privileged to make it to Elite status a couple years ago, and we went to the Elite Cocktail Party in Michael's Club practically every night.

Do you CC members think that by this almost universal inclusion of Free Drinks, the Elite "Free Cocktail" party is becoming sort of obsolete?

Maybe it is Celebrity's strategy to get the number of Elite cocktailers down.

I had heard on these boards that the Elite Cocktail Party was becoming so large with all of the Elite's on board, especially on Transatlantics and Caribbean cruises.

Interesting one this - we are Elite and didn't have drinks package of any kind for recent Adriatic cruise. Was a great benefit for us especially due to set sail times and early sun set for this particular itinerary. Was surprised at number of Elites on board to be honest, was expecting a lot less!

I see your point though, next cruise we are on we will have premium package and don't expect to use the Elite lounge at all.

We happen to have the drink package on our Dec cruise but might not in the future so I hope they keep the Elite gathering. One or 2 drinks a day are usually enough for us (wife) so it is perfect. But with the drink package I doubt we'll go to the party and she'll just grab something when she wants.

Although we did get the drink package, it is no longer offered on our cruise so if you booked late, you're out of luck.

enjoy

Depends on what you see as the purpose of the Elite Hour. You are less likely to go if you see it as a way to get free drinks. You are more likely to go if you see it as an opportunity to meet old friends and new in a comfortable place. Every Zenith I know goes to the Elite Hour even thought they have the Premium Package as a benefit. The advantage of having the Classic or Premium Package is that you are not restricted to the Elite drink menu.

Depends on what you see as the purpose of the Elite Hour. You are less likely to go if you see it as a way to get free drinks. You are more likely to go if you see it as an opportunity to meet old friends and new in a comfortable place. Every Zenith I know goes to the Elite Hour even thought they have the Premium Package as a benefit. The advantage of having the Classic or Premium Package is that you are not restricted to the Elite drink menu.

We agree...that's why the drink vouchers are not our preference...but seem inevitable when there are too many Elites on board..,

We always have the drink pkg, either free or purchased. Although Elite we rarely go to the Elite cocktail hour as 5-7 is to early for us. Even when we do go we still find value in the drink package for our fresh squeezed juices, Cafe Al Bacio coffees & tea, bottled water, soda's, drinks in the theatre & dining room.

Personally, I still think that Elite happy hour in Michael's was urban myth. Every cruise we took after turning Elite, there was some reason why it wasn't held there. Of course, Michael's is now for suites and Zenith so it will not be an option for the foreseeable future. We are currently on the Summit with the drink package and Elite vouchers. Most nights we go to Revelations for the company. However, if we go to an early show, it's nice to be able to use the vouchers in the theatre. Or, we use our package, whatever.

Last winter we were on a family cruise and everyone had a drink package (we were the only Elites in the group). Never made it to a single Elite event.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Personally, I still think that Elite happy hour in Michael's was urban myth. Every cruise we took after turning Elite, there was some reason why it wasn't held there. Of course, Michael's is now for suites and Zenith so it will not be an option for the foreseeable future. We are currently on the Summit with the drink package and Elite vouchers. Most nights we go to Revelations for the company. However, if we go to an early show, it's nice to be able to use the vouchers in the theatre. Or, we use our package, whatever.

Last winter we were on a family cruise and everyone had a drink package (we were the only Elites in the group). Never made it to a single Elite event.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sorry you missed out...we had many enjoyable gatherings there...it is much more impersonal since it has moved to larger spaces...but still nice to meet other frequent cruisers....

we'll never make it to Zenith or be in a suite so Michaels is no longer a space for us to enjoy,

we have had the Classic package as a perk but would not pay for us to purchase it,,,.....guess the vouchers gave some value to others but not that much for us!

Edited by hcat

The Free Drink Package is never offered on TA cruises, unfortunately, so the Lounge/vouchers works for us. Would love to have the package on a TA, but not worth it for us to purchase it.:)

We are on the TA on the Eclipse, we have a free drinks package for this cruise.

We were on a cruise this summer where many people had the free drinks package. We didn't have it and made it to the Elite lounge (Sky Bar) once (5-7 is too early for us). It wasn't very busy. The Sr Officers night was still busy though.

We travel with a group of friends. The six of us are Elite and Elite+. We enjoy getting together in the Sky Lounge. Having some drinks and appetizers (hot & cold). I see it as a social hour. Then off to dinner about 6:30pm. As to the 123go benefits. We take the gratuities, OBC and drink package in that order. Our next cruise we get 2. Our Aug 2015 cruise we get all 3.